hand throttle - on an Auto?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:46
ThreadID: 20905 Views:1902 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi forumites

A discussion on Driving into brakes with an Auto transmission has been in a nother forum. Seems like an interesting technique for all types of 4wd nit just Auto's. One of the hard things with it is keeping a constant engine speed.

Has anyone ever fitted a hand throttle to an Auto? I would think one issue would be not having a clutch to throw to immediately disengage if it got out of control. Our Vehicle is a Diesel Prado so have the low down torque to use without reving the guts out of it.

appreciate any advice

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MikeyS - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:12

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 18:12
A technique to try to keep a (relatively) constant engine speed is to press the side of your foot to the kick panel to the right of your accelerator pedal. You are effectively trying to lock your foot into a fixed position against the panel. It works a lot better with sticky rubber soles rather than muddy Blundstones though. You can even slightly accelerate by rolling your knee to the left, ie rolling the ball of your foot against the pedal, rather than trying to press down directly onto the pedal.

By anchoring your foot against the side panel, you should find it much easier to control the pedal and avoid the jolting and surging you get when negotiating bumpy and rocky ground. It works pretty well with driving through the brakes (or left foot braking) as you should be able to modulate your speed much better, with a bit of practice.

My suggestion is give this technique a go before installing a hand throttle. I reckon it might take an afternoon to get profficient at this technique, rather than a weekend plus to install a hand throttle. And if it works, you can send me the money you save to buy beer.

MikeyS
AnswerID: 100824

Reply By: theshadows - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:55

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:55
The Terano has a had throotle and it works well with the auto.

The trick is to set the throttle to 1500-1800 rpm and lock the trannie into low 1st.

when you start down the hill ride the brakes to slow you down.

this way the engine give load to the wheels so when you brake a bit hard the wheel dosnt lock up.Works a treat just like idleing down in 1st gear in a manual.

shadow
AnswerID: 101015

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:24

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:24
I owned a GQ Patrol petrol auto with a hand throttel. Made life a lot easier when climbing steep, rocky hills, you dont get the bouncing effect. I would recommend them.

They where easy to engage and disengage.
AnswerID: 101068

Sponsored Links