80 Series steel rims

Submitted: Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2091 Views:2064 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone out there fitted Prado rims to their 80 series landcruiser. I have a standard, without wheel arch flares, and have fitted Prado rims so I can fit decent width tyres without having to go to the expence of fitting flares. I have looked at the standard weight of a prado and then added the max load recommended and it appears to be not much different to an average load in the cruiser. I would imagine that when these wheels are made, they would make them to carry a decent load, so I can't see a problem. I have seen a lot of cruisers around Brisbane with these wheels fitted, and have not heard of any problems. Your views would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Stan,
I have had them on my Series 80 for several years now - no problems at all, and the road holding I achieved by being able to use larger tyres is so much better than the standard wheels & tyres.
(also just added an Old Man Emu suspension lift which has given even more improvement - it's joy to drive now)

The only niggle I had was that I couldn't get Toyota to say that fitting Prado wheels was an OK thing to do. They just stuck with their party line to 'use standard parts'.
Oh and another niggle - I couldn't find a 2nd hand 5th one for the spare.

Have fun and don't worry.

Doug
AnswerID: 7264

Follow Up By: Stan - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Doug, I don't think anyone will ever put their neck on the line and say these wheels are OK, but I reckon it's like everything, they have to build in a safety margin to cover their backsides, and I can't see me exceeding that. In regards to the wheels, have you tried your local toyota dealer. I am in Brisbane and bought my Cruiser through 4x4xMore (a trendy 4WD dealer). While I was there one day I noticed that one of the workshop blokes had these wheels on his cruiser, and enquired what they were. He told me that they get lots of people in wanting alloy's on their Prado's, so they just pull off the brand new steel wheels and put them aside. They can't sell them officially, but I managed to get 5 for $30 each. I have heard that other dealers around Brisbane are doing it, so where ever you are just ask the Toyota blokes next time and see how you go. As I said above it's really a back door deal so you will have to talk to the guys in the workshop. Let us know how you go, thanks again for your response.
FollowupID: 3328

Reply By: Welshmun - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the tip, Stan.
I could do with a couple of spares so I won't be shy in asking.

It was my local GoodYear dealer (Morayfield) who supplied the first 4, but he told me they were like hen's teeth. Good to get another opinion.
Doug
AnswerID: 7279

Follow Up By: Derek - Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
I just bought another set of 285/75 R16 BFGs a few weeks ago from Bob Jane at Lawnton and they had a set of 4 Prado rims on the floor for sale at the time.
FollowupID: 3382

Follow Up By: Welshmun - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Follow up to Derek:
Derek, thanks for the tip about Bob Jane at Lawnton. So I called Bob Jane (automatically connected to me to my local Caboolture Branch), who told me that Prado rims won't fit on a Series 80 .. .
So I'm going down to talk to them.
Doug

FollowupID: 3384

Follow Up By: Welshmun - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Follow-up mumber 3
Well, now I'm totally confused.
Today, Bob Jane, Caboolture have told me that they think the Prado rims I have on might be illegal and warned me about any non-standard setup, on the basis that, in an accident, an insurance company could get away without paying up if the wheels were illegal.
Let me say they didn't say the wheels were illegal, they just said they might be.
Also, it got worse, he said, although I could have fitted 275/70 R16's on my orginal Crusier rims (suggesting I never needed the Prado 16" rims in the first place) that, with these rims, I could only go to 275/70 maximum. GoodYear sold me the Prado rims in the first place about 3 years ago on the basis that I needed them to go from the standard 265's to 275.
Bob Jane Caboolture went on to say that if I wanted 285/75 they would have to go on 15 (yes, 15) inch rims beacuse of laoding issues, and also I should check with my insurer whether that was legal, to be sure.
Then he started talking about a variety of alternate configurations in inches (35,36, 37 etc) which totally confused me.
Is there anywhere that clearly explains what's possible, I wonder.
Doug
FollowupID: 3385

Reply By: Welshmun - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

This thread is going in various directions. I recommend that anyone interested should read the follow ups to reply 2.
All further comments welcome in the main thread.
rgds
Doug
AnswerID: 7389

Sponsored Links