Tyrepliers successful but.......

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 20:55
ThreadID: 20915 Views:4442 Replies:13 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again.

I just finished breaking on the bead on a tyre useing my tyrepliers for the first time. Broke the bead no problem (although was only my wife's 13 inch holden nova tyre!! - cheating a bit I guess but a good start). Got the tyre of the front of the rim not problems using the levers that came with the kit. BUT ..... when it came time to get the whole tyre off ( I didn't actually need to but wanted to practice for the Jackaroo tyres - carry I spare wheel and then the tyreplier kit and spare tyre only on roof) I had all sorts of problems.

The book demonstrates to stand the tyre and wheel up against your knees, get 2 levers in under the back edge of the rim and indicates that with enough backward pressure the rim should work out of the tyre without having to work the edge numerous times to get it off. I tried and had no luck. I tried working my way around the edge and still no luck.

Is there a special trick to getting the tyre completely off, or am I just stupid?

Haven't even started fixing the screw puncture yet, so looking forward to a little help.

Thanks, D-Jack

p.s. Wolfie, did you manage to get yours right off???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:03
all i can think of is make sure the tyre is sitting inside the wheel well and not on the outer lip.then it should nearly fall off.
AnswerID: 100849

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:52

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:52
Jack : when u are doing a big (heavy) wheel all this falls into place as the weight of the rim will force the tyre off the top ...if u see what i mean ....using the missus baby rim and you are pushing it all up hill...the rim has no weight and cant pull the tyre over the top of the rim using the levers..Hope this sounds OK..the Pliers are generallly meant for 4wd tyres ...mums baby barina is not in this class...no matter what she thinks !! Try it all on the Jack's wheel..and am sure you will be smiling ...
steve
AnswerID: 100868

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:21

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:21
Tried the Tyrepliers and I reckon they are just not up to scratch.ie Too much Bloody hard work for a bloke with a sus back. Had a set of Beadbreakers bought for me and it makes the job almost enjoyable.
FollowupID: 358974

Reply By: dave487 - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:11

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:11
Hi
I have used both pliers and beadbreaker and the beadbreaker leaves the pliers for dead. It is so easy and no backbreaking
Dave
AnswerID: 100892

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:40

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:40
What the hell's that got to do with my question?
FollowupID: 359042

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:44

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:44
The R & R Beadbreaker craps all over the tyre pliers.
My 9 year old daughter can remove a 265/65 R16 with ease.

Don't know why you would even consider buying tyre pliers with the R & R on the market.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100901

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:41

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:41
What the hell's that got to do with the question?
FollowupID: 359043

Reply By: Mike-TS - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:54

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:54
Vote #3 for beadbreakers...easy as.

Who the h*ll told you to buy tyrepliers!
AnswerID: 100906

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:41

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:41
What the hell's that got to do with my question?
FollowupID: 359044

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:55
done over 30 tyres in the last 12 months using tyre pliers and it is not hard toughen up! and no it has nothing to do with your Q
FollowupID: 359064

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:54

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:54
I can break the bead with one finger using the R&R
I've owned other types but the R&R is the best
Oskar
AnswerID: 100932

Reply By: Peter Guy - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 15:23

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 15:23
I use the tyre pliers on both sides of the rim. I hope this helps.
Once the "seal" breaks you can stand on the side of the tyre and your weight pushes the tyre down into the rim.
AnswerID: 100976

Reply By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:39

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:39
I thought I posted a question on removing the tyre totally, not breaking the bead. For those of you who feel you have to justify your beadbreaker, start a thread or add to one of those that have already done the debate to death. I just broke the bead on my Jack's 16 inch rim straight away, the tyre is nearly bald and It hasn't been off the rim for at least 30000km. I can't help it if some of you can't use tyrepliers. Thanks for those that have replied appropriately.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 100990

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:47

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:47
D-Jack,
Once you've broken the bead, the inner and outer beads need to be positioned into the well on the rim. A little hard to put into words, but easy to demonstrate.
Same principle for any well based rim, pushbike, motorbike, car, 4WD etc.
Once you've got the beads into the well, the rim will darn near fall ot through the hole. If you stand the tyre up, you'll have a big gap between the top of the rim and the tyre.
That's where you start, only take on one bead at a time.

Hope I've not confused you too much,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 359045

Follow Up By: theshadows - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 18:50

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 18:50
wrong tool D-jack.
you got to use the right tool for the job and tyre pliers are the wrong tool. All you need Is one decent tyre lever and a very large rubber mallet.

Stand the rim up on end.

As stated above place the tyre in the well of the rim and stnad so the tyre is between you and the rim.

Hook the lever in to the tyre from the rim side.

pull the lever up and over toward you and press down. {the lever should have travelled about 200 degrees.

Holding the lever down with one hand belt the tyre off the rim one hit each side.

Two good belts {one if your really good} and the rim bounces out down the road and over the cliff and you holding the stuffed tyre in your knees. such is life get used to it.

this is the quickest and easist way to remove a tyre . if you cannot do it this way due to a bad back ,Id like to surgst that you coulnd get the tyre of the high mount carrier in the first place ...so go away.

its a case of th wrong tool for the job use the pliers as intended to pull the carcass apart to fit a patch.

shadow
FollowupID: 359047

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:18

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:18
shadow

Don't have a clue what your talking about. I used the tyre pliers to break the bead, no problems, broke 2 beads no problemgot first bead off no probs, but to actually get the whole tyre off that's the problem. Did not use the tyrepliers to do that (if that's what you are thinking) and did exactly what u said. . As for wrong tool for the job, well if tyrepliers aren't meant for breaking beads and levers aren't for getting off tyres then I guess its time for me to retire from 4wding.
FollowupID: 359050

Follow Up By: theshadows - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:47

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:47
those instructions are just what you asked for.... re again carefully.
those instructions are to remove the body{carcass} of the tyre from the rim.

as stated you need One tyre lever ,one very large rubber mallet , one big hit {if you are skilled.}

AS you said the tyre pliers do a great job at breacking the beads and removing one side off the carcass off the Tyres but thats all.

follow my instruction and you can remove a 22.5r from a semi in under 15 secs. and 4WD tyre quicker.

shadow
FollowupID: 359052

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 21:30
Shadow, I understand what you are saying but don't know why you started having a go at me for using the wrong tools? I am a little annoyed because of the unneeded crap about other products doing better. Breaking the bead was not the problem, the levering etc was. Thanks for your advice

D-Jack
FollowupID: 359069

Follow Up By: theshadows - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 21:58

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 21:58
I'm very passonate about the right tool for the job ..I do disslike seeing peopl uing the wrong tool, tehn complaining about it. There is noting wrong with tyre pliers...As you have found out they do their job very well. .

I'm not haveing a go at you but just explaining the right tool for the job the better. these days there are soo many trinkets on the market people lose sight of te job at hand.

for example. I carry 2 square blocks of wood ? why?

they old my tent{ A frame} up in sand,work great as chocks, extentions for my bottle jacks and pop over and under the bead of a tyre you can pop the bead as you drive over them. beats the hell out over other gadgets. te rubber mallet is the best piece of equipment Ive ever carried.

ligthn up and enjoy because thats what this forum here for to share Ideas...life to short to get hung up...

shadow
FollowupID: 359075

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 18:49

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 18:49
The trick is to use soapy water around the ring of a splittie, and to break the bead on both sides. I had problems putting the rim back on, my legs/feet aren't too good so I ended up using a sledgehammer ! (twas an old rusted rim I worked on for practise). The beadbreaker may be easier but where do you sit the tyre if you have barn doors ? Breaking the bead with Tyrepliars is a piece of cake for an invalid dinasaur like me, as long as I can rest between rounds :))
AnswerID: 101004

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:06

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 19:06
"The beadbreaker may be easier but where do you sit the tyre if you have barn doors ?"

On a table, on the ground if you want to bend over, rest it on the bonnet if you like.

That the point of the R & R is that you don't need to stand on it or hit it just wind it down with the spanner and it falls off. Easy as.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 359048

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:10
So you can end up bending over even with a beadbraker. And with a split you still have to remove the rim etc etc , all of which you're bending over with; unless you are dropping 30kg on the tailgate/table/bonnet.
Sorry, I still can't see a good reason to ditch the pliars and buy a beadbraker.
FollowupID: 359053

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 22:06

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 22:06
Footloose when you see the Beadbreaker in action you will see what I mean. No standing on the tyre no bashing with a hammer so little effort.

It will break the bead with one hand and get the tyre of the rim without a mallet and no rim or bead damage.

Me I have used mine on a table where I can keep my back nice and straight and no effort at all.

I have used pliers and now own a Beadbreaker I would never go back to pliers again.

I would suggest you make the attempt to have a good look at how they work and in fact try them for yourself before you knock the product.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 359076

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:10

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:10
D-jack.
I hope I dont annoy you by asking but are you taking the tyre of the correct side of the rim? Both beads must come over the valve side, the non valve side is a bigger diameter, I hope this has got something to do with the question. Eric.
AnswerID: 101051

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:57
Eric

I am not annoyed at valid answers or attempts at answers to the question like yours is - just annoyed that when I asked how to remove the tyre I got a few bead breakers are better than what you paid $150 for.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I took the tyre off the rear, the well is closer to the front than back. Made all the difference. Thanks heaps.

Thanks also to all those who replied. Most of them helped.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 359136

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:30

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:30
I agree with Eric on this point. It's important with some rims that the tyre is removed from ONE direction only. This is quite common on small cars. As far as your wife's car is concerned I wouldn't know if that's the back or the front of the rim.

However, I well remember trying to get a tyre off a Mini rim back in the 70's - for 2 hours! Until someone told me - "Son try taking it off from the back of the rim first".

This meant putting both beads of the tyre back on the rim and doing it again - the other way. The tyre practically fell off!

As for removing any tyre from a rim - I'm assuming that you've actually broken BOTH beads of the tyre??? - and not just one bead?

Also, when one bead is off (outside the rim), a tyre lever and rubber mallet are the best for getting the tyre off the rim totally. Easy peasy - when youv'e done it about 100 times and the nearest town is 300 kms away!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 101054

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:59

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 16:59
Thanks Bibo - had been taking it off the wrong way. And the lever and mallet took the tyre of easily. Was easy peasy the first time I did it the correct way in fact.

Thanks, D-Jack
FollowupID: 359137

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 14:16

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 14:16
John, obviously your tyre experience is different to mine. "It will break the bead with one hand and get the tyre of the rim without a mallet and no rim or bead damage". Oh really ? With a splt rim ? I don't think so. Before you start telling people not to knock something I suggest that you read their post properly. Nobody was knocking anything, just pointing out that no matter which tool you use, the whole process involves more than just breaking a bead. Hell I can break beads with a tyre jack or a bullbar. And have done so. Horses for courses. I own a set of pliars, use them and am happy. If there's something better then fine, but the same process is involved . None of what I have seen or read has convinced me that BB's are going to do much except provide a different way of breaking the bead. Unless the ring magically falls in and out by itself of course.
AnswerID: 101113

Reply By: theshadows - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:47

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 19:47
tyre pliers are great when putting the bugger back on...that for sure.

remember count your tyre levers....

shadow
AnswerID: 101241

Sponsored Links