Snorkel Noise Solved

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:42
ThreadID: 20917 Views:10918 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to a tip from "Terryfied" (onya Terry) I seem to have solved a serious noise
issue on My 99 TD 3.0 Jack. Best described as a "whipper snipper" going hard, when the engine was under load and over 2000 rpm, the noise was on the passenger's side with nairy a hint out the starboard window. This suggested ruling out the turbo so I started hunting around the exhaust system. But Terry put me onto the intake as a possibility; specifically the snorkel (fitted 7-8 months back in metro Adelaide). Taking the ram head off, I found a huge washer (a restrictor in fact) . This washer would have cut the snorkel intake area by at least half in my view ! (will do the maths later) - I whipped it out and the "serious and somewhat worrying" noise hasgone!
My view on this is that my Unifilter was already compromising the intake to a degree and this restrictor just made things worse. I rang Safari and they tried to fob me off back to the dealer for comment (for this read "clear off you fool - our dealers know everything"). I persisted and eventually got onto a "David" who gave the impression that he had better things to do than talk to me! His short response was that the restrictor is needed for sound dampening and that we would not have it in the kit if it was not required !
Oh well....... after having the installer lose a couple of clips that can't be bought, and to have the snorkel's maker give me the impression that he regards me as a nuisance, I'll just store that knowledge away and advise my contacts accordingly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:20

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:20
Banjo,

didn't see your original post with Terryfied (if there was one), but can you describe where the big washer or restrictor exactly was. Just took off the ram head, had a look in it and down the barrel of the snorkel and saw nothing. I had safari installed about the same time as yours I would think, maybe a bit earlier, and have got what I would more describe as a serious hum between about 2300 rpm which disappears after about 2800 rmp. Put it down to snorkel vs guard vibrating with resonance, but interested in this washer thing. One thing that made a bit of a difference was the Hiclones I fitted but they soon got pulled out and money back after they did squat.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 100879

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:39

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:39
Bunch of bloody sooks ..... drive a fender ... there's so much ancillary noise ya can't even hear herself, let alone the radio or bloody snorkel .... Hmmmmm, perhaps they're not so bad afterall.......;-))

Cheers
AnswerID: 100884

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:45

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 22:45
Re the airflow restriction via the above washer - the hole in the washer has an area of 14.5cm2 - with the washer out, the tube it sits in has an area of 44 cm2 !! I suggest that not only does the washer cause a severe restriction, but the air would experience severe turbulence (and a loss of efficiency on that factor alone) when trying to get past the hole. I might end up with a bit of a hum - that I can live with.
G'day D - Terry followed up to my follow up of another related post a few days back - somewhat buried now. When you take the ram head off, you are left with a plain tube pointing up - the big washer was sitting on top of that - just a little too big to fall into the tube, the washer was held snug by the ram head tube around it. - re your setup - I guess not all vehicles are considered to "need" the washer. Could it be that Safari have "fixed" the humming issue for some models by cutting the airflow by around 60-70% ? This harmonics issue must explain the strange resonator type boxes seen under the bonnet in the intake systems of a lot of modern cars. Hell.... they could simply have chucked in a big washer !
AnswerID: 100887

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:24

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:24
mmm...i wonder if they can explain how they reached restrictor size of 14.5cm2?

or do they guess?

either way i'd be getting very tough with them to explain it!!! and how its derived /calculated and what it intended purpose really is
FollowupID: 358995

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 15:48

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 15:48
Banjo, it just sounds like a not so novel way to increase your fuel:air ratio, but why restrict it there I wonder? They could ask you to leave in your dirty air filter. The Hiclone could do the same I guess.
FollowupID: 359033

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:08

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 23:08
Hi Banjo

I went out bush today and on the way there, under similar circumstances, i was hearing a very similar noise. I just ran outside in my boxers, and pulled the ram head off my airtec, bugger, no restrictor........ I have spent about 3 hours searching for the noise and I was hoping you were on a winning.
cheers Crazie
AnswerID: 100891

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:29

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:29
still looking for that buz eh??

its just all that clay jammed up underneath :-))
FollowupID: 358996

Reply By: timber - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:44

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:44
I have a 3 l diesel Hilux, the resticter in mine is in the flexible hose between the airfilter and the engine. Take the restrictor out and there is a god awful amount of vibration and noise that varies in level and pitch depending on the revs!

Cheers

Buggerlux
AnswerID: 100943

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:55

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:55
You are spot on there timber.
I took the restrictor out and after a day I could not stand the noise so put it back.
I have wondered if a couple of Hiclones would stop the noise and increase the air flow.
Any one tried this with the 3 litre Hilux?
Regards
Scooby
FollowupID: 359003

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 17:31
I have not actually checked to see if there are Hiclones in the Surf (3.0td) but there were two empty hiclone boxes on the back seat when I bought it so I can only assume they are in there. I get a resonance from my safari at about 2100rpms but it's a quiet growl that sound very pleasant and is not there while cruising. You pretty much have to have the passenger window down the hear it.

Restrictor hey?? I've been meaning to find out if these hiclones are in there, maybe now is the time, might remove the restrictor AND the hiclones and see how it goes! ;-)
FollowupID: 359041

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:41

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:41
Yep - I'd heard that the Hilux's have a big issue with this noise carriage up the pipe - so far I've heard a bit of a hum in the Jack but nothing awkward. Should Safari amend their claims for improved breathing and a "ram air" effect when mobile, re what seems to me a loss of 65% of the intake area, when they fit their "harmonic control device " ? Bugger it - I'm going to send them an email and publish the results here !
FollowupID: 359095

Sponsored Links