New SA Parks charges

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:05
ThreadID: 20944 Views:2189 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I received notification today from the Dept of Environment and Heritage, SA, that the old system of applying entry fees and charges for Desert Parks Pass and Statewide Parks Pass has changed.

Previously one was able to purchase both the passes as a combined unit getting the necessary discounbts which apply to both. Now the passes have been separated.

Statewide Parks Pass Entry and Camping $99 per year(this allows you unlimited entry and camp for 5 days in any park throughout the year).

Desert Parks Pass $90 annually Renewal $60

On concession I used to pay $110p.a. including Desert parks Pass. Now it is going to cosy $145.

Such is life

Go to link text for more info
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:13
>Such is life

It is if you accept it without a fight Willem?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 101017

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:26

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:26
Who am I going to fight, Mike?

No use fighting with the lass behind the counter. She doesn't make the rules. The people who make the decisions to tax us are faceless. The politicians are the ones who sign the legislation.

I would only fight one way, but that is un-Australian.

Paid $1.13 litre for diesel today. I want to go somewhere so have to pay the price. If I want to go to the desert then I have to pay the price of the Desert Pass.

Such is life.(repeat)
FollowupID: 359054

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:44

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:44
And if next year they make it $250 or $1000 or...?

What was it you said to me a few weeks ago... "Keep your head down, it makes for a quieter life" or similar?

I don't think so - apathy is exactly the reason we already have so much bad legislation and a myriad of petty rules in Oz.

If you think the increase is unfair Willem then fight it - that's how things are changed - doing nothing won't change it.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 359092

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:01

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:01
Willem,
Your very good at putting pen to paper...i read your article hahaha

write a letter to the editor of the Advertiser expressing your views and dont forget to mention how and why its pointless complaining about faceless pollies on this issue etc etc etc.

i await to the to read the letter
FollowupID: 359094

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:14

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:14
Mike you have a point there.

Not sure what I said to you some time ago but I do recall you weren't happy with the response :o)

Frankly I don't have the energy or inclination at my time of life on this planet to go on a crusade. That was for when I was much younger. Very recently I resolved the last unresolved agitation in my life and now I am opting for a quieter time.

I guess I have seen quite a bit of the country and am apathetic about about the changes. I have tended to skirt around the edges to get to where I wanted to be.

I was for one(in the distant past), not for asking permission but just going in to remote country on remote stations but I have changed my ways of thinking and have opted for the more conciliary approach and have found it works much better for me. Steady as she goes. Ask permission, get the permits(crap) and go along my way.
FollowupID: 359148

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:25

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:25
Hey Nudie

I have given up writing to magazines, newspapers and the like. Recently I wrote a long article to the RAA with reference to their acceptance of the ideas of Random Roadside Testing of vehicles(vested intrest as I normally drive old bombs). They kindly replied to me and stated that they would publish it in their following SAMotor magazine. It never appeared because I was detracting from what their perception of the issue was.

I have become very cynical over the years to newspaper reports, TV reports and the like. I wrote for 4x4 Aust Mag for 10 years but they too started to edit out stuff that they didn't like(and there was nothing rude or derogatory in the articles) because of my opinions. So I gave that up as well. I have recently given up contributing to a website because I do not need hassles. I will however keep on writing for the 4x4 E-mag as that is a bit of fun.

Sorry to disappoint you.
FollowupID: 359149

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:17

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 20:17
So the workers need more to cover their living and playing costs , inflation rises, interest rates go up. And the Govt always make it sound like it's our fault ! Just saw that the UK govt have a tax on TVs. Nobody pays it cause they watch TV on their computers. Guess what they are going to slap a tax on ...and no I'm not joking. And where is all the revenue going to come from when we all give up the fags and booze and become health nuts ? Tax on breathing ?? Makes you worry for our kids doesn't it.
AnswerID: 101019

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 22:47
That's how they fund the BBC - we used to pay a tax (oops a licence fee) for radio and TV in this country prior to the 1970s - it was used to fund the ABC but now that just comes out of general revenue. But you are right governments have got to get money from somewhere and the only place to get it is form those who work (wages, salaries, small business, modicum of corporate taxes but the really big boys don't pay) except for GST and FBT of course. Bugger they tax almost everything now don't they?
FollowupID: 359078

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:07

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:07
Today, I got sent an offer to buy the desert parks pass before June 30, for $80 instead of $90. Need to send off to Port Augusta office.

I consider it quite good value as I usually get a fair bit of use out of it in a year. And I think they are genuinely using the money to upgrade facilities in the desert parks. Its a small cost in 4wd ownership, if you use it a bit.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 101049

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:34

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 18:34
My sentiments too. I use the Passes to the max. Twice in the Simpson last year and into other parks as well
FollowupID: 359151

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:09

Thursday, Mar 03, 2005 at 23:09
To put another perspective, If I go 4wding to one of the private stations in the Flinders like Bendleby or Willow springs, it will cost me $100 for a weekend anyway.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 101050

Reply By: warthog - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 00:19

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 00:19
We are now taxed more than ever before. Can someone tell me if our taxes actually buy us anything? We pay for national parks in our taxes and we also pay to enter them.
AnswerID: 101059

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:03

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:03
G'day warthog,

What we buy is the ability for our politicians to pork barrel in a marginal electorate we care nothing about and finance a project that serves no purpose to the greater community.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 359098

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:10

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 13:10
Once upon a time we also paid tax so that we'd have a pension when we retired. Now we just pay and pay and pay. Self funded retirees may now be offocially referred to as "self funded fools".
But I can see a change in this country. Thirty years ago we just accepted eveything Australian as the best in the world. Now we can discuss things openly without being told its not the Australian way.
I wonder how long it will be before we demand accountability and observeable measureable positive outcomes before the pollies go for a pay rise ? Why not make a politicians job casual employment ? It seems pretty casual to me :)
I need to get out more ....
FollowupID: 359209

Sponsored Links