Heading up to Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:03
ThreadID: 20990 Views:2273 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Im heading off from WA next week to Cape York via Tasmania and then up the east coast towing a 17'6 Coramal full size offroad van with a GU4.2TDI Patrol with winch fitted, I would like advise on how far i can tow van b4 i have leave it and go the rest of way in Nissan, also what accomadation is availible after i drop van off. I have plenty of time availible(arround 6 months)
Maurie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:02

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:02
As you already know, the Cape is not really caravan country. Personally I'd leave it at Cooktown. After that it's basically camping country. There is more formal accommodation availiable at various locations but can't help with those. One option may be to go up on the boat from Cairns or Cooktown and hire a holiday unit etc up there. You'd have to book early as accommodation doesn't appear to be easy to get.
Have a great trip, you'll find the Cape quite different to most of the rest of the country.
AnswerID: 101288

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:14

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:14
Hi Maurice

07 40695417 Cooktown Tropical Breeze (this one will stow caravans)
07 40695107 Cooktown Peninsula Caravan Park
Cooktown would be the place to stow the caravan, it's bitumen all the way from Cairns via the turnoff near Mossman. Also, if you don't want to go back to Cooktown to pick it up maybe the Caravan Park in Lakelands (that you maybe going through from Cooktown to get to the cape) might be able to help you?
Check out how conditions on battlecamp road are before you if you intend to go that way to the cape. In 2002 it was terrible and I heard it was graded in early July 2004. Just our luck we choose to come back through Lakelands to Cooktown last year.
All accomadation styles at the towns and homesteads along the way can be catered for on the trip to the cape now, but tenting is usually the norm. Can recommend the steaks at Musgrave Station, ours were really nice and good sizes too for the price.
Best to get Ron & Viv Moon book, Cape York "An Adventures Guide", well worth having this handy book.
Have a great time.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 101323

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:39

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 06:39
The road to cook town isnt tar all the way about 20 k to go.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 359539

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:36

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:36
Hi Eric

Thanks for that.
We were there in June 2004 and it was suppose to have it completed for this tourist season.....oh well that's mains roads for you...... :)
20 kls is still not that bad and the road was quite good anyway and as always with care you could still tow a camper with care along it.
Was looking that if Maurice didn't want to go back into Cooktown to collect camper he could head over to the Kurumba, Normanton etc via the Burke Development road (with care taken) if it was graded, and in good condition or along the bitumen futher down to Normanton.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
FollowupID: 359638

Reply By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:39

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 16:39
maurice
with a fair bit of care and some luck you should be able to get to weipa with the off road package equipped van but you will need to drive pretty slowly say 80 kph max and really take your time and let the tyres down to say 28 psi as the development road is very bl**dy stoney and sharpe and a bit rough in places and heavily loaded tyres just dont like it - we blew two BFG all terrains in 100 kms on the trip to weipa towing a Kimberley camper plus tinney on top with a 3.0 l td nissan patrol in 2004

and you can always turn around and go back if you dont like waht happening on the development road - but people do at times tow well equipped strong vans to weipa

if you want to really look after the van then dont go past cooktown as the others say but if you do go to weipa then thats it mate definitely no further in the van if you want to keep it in one piece and yes give the battlecamp road a miss unless its been recently graded - worse bl**dy road i have ever driven on at an average 15kms per hr over millions of corrugations in 4wd to ease the strain on the vehicle

so good luck good trip
see you greg
AnswerID: 101331

Reply By: Bros - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:24

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:24
Maurice F,
How far you want to tow the van is up to the decision you make after weighing up all tha local info you can get when the time arises. There are plenty of caravans in Weipa. Past Weipa is probably break something country, but again that is up to you.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 101340

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:15

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:15
Maurie I have a friend who a couple of years ago took a Phoenix Skorpion with a Disco with a full set of diff locks through the Daintree to Cooktown then to Lakeland Downs and then on to Weipa. On his return he left the Peninsula Development road and crossed the Mitchell River at Gamboola and made his way to Karumba.
At the time he told me I hadn't been through the Daintree but after going through there I certainly wouldn't attempt it. Since then he bought a larger van a Trackmaster and tried to do the same trip through the Daintree the same way but he was defeated on the concrete patches as he just couldn't get traction with the heavier van.
AnswerID: 101388

Sponsored Links