goldstream camper trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 14:46
ThreadID: 21001 Views:31096 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
BEWARE FUTURE CAMPER TRAILER BUYERS!!
After paying $28,000.00 for our new Goldstream Storm II Camper Trailer we were very disappointed in the poor workmanship discovered after taking ownership from the dealer.

Including - leaking water tank, unable to fill water tank, missing cooking trays, loose wall panelling, unable to attach annexe due to poor positioning of slides and missing fixings on numerous attachments.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:07

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 17:07
NO ... but has heaps of problems with a new top of the range Tru Blu camper trailer.

Glad I now have a Track CT!
AnswerID: 101336

Follow Up By: loughma - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:56

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:56
It should be made clear that Tru Blu Camper Trailers in Victoria and True Blue Camping Trailers in Mackay, North Queensland are completely seperate businesses and are in no way connected.
FollowupID: 359309

Reply By: ozromer - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:30

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:30
Not specifically for the camper trailer you have, but I have a horror story about a Roma caravan I paid nearly $30,000 for. We have no lemon laws in this country it seems and I have found State Departments of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading disinterested in whether the consumer got what he thought he was paying for.
I have no idea whether the shoddy build of my 'van is normal for this company but they will not answer my correspondence nor will they even talk to their dealer who supports my complaint. And this after their MD told me over the 'phone that I had a case for "compensation" which would be determined as soon as the faults had been patched up.
AnswerID: 101362

Reply By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:31

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:31
Just recently brought a new Kimberley Camper offroad Trailer and have nothing but praise (at this stage ) a great unit and tows beautifuly. (Looked at others) but I guess horses for courses.We only put a deposit down and checked out before we parted with our money.
Lucky
AnswerID: 101411

Reply By: gregr - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:36

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:36
rudu
my close friends have a resonably new 2004 goldsream off road pop top which they have had a few minor probs with but they are not game to take it anywhere serious for off road use - they just take it to strady (flinders bch0 and rainbow beach / teewah as simply not built tough enough for the cape or gibb river road etc
thwey pull it with a 3.0 l td gu patrol and it tows ok

on the other hand i have a 2004 kimberley kamper classic which is supposedly built tough enough for the cape and gibb river road but has been a warranty nightmare (unlike big bos new kk - lucky bast&*d)

my kk has had the following probs-
1. - a new jockey wheel fitted as old one shook to bits on our cape trip
2. - a rubber seal replaced and repositioned on the side to stop large amounts of dust coming in the camper
3. - two broken welds on kitchen bench have been rewelded
4. - canvas has been repositioned in factory as side zips hard to do up and canvas badly fitted originally and now has a couple of small rips in it as a result

5. - worst problem is i have a rotten water taste in the 130 l ss water tank and hoses since new and we have not been able to drink the water since new - kimberley have had it back to the factory twice and only replaced the hoses but cant or wont bother to fix the prob no matter what isay - which really needs a new ss tank, all new hoses and two new pumps fitted

6 - the ball weight is 250 kgs and all up loaded weight is over 1500 kgs and it tows like a cow behing my 3.0 litre nissan td as balance appears wrong

are we happy with our 2004 kimberley kamper classic mariner - no way

probably does not make you feel any better but at least your not alone with bl**dy problems that the pri*ks wont bother to fix under warranty and just fob you off and / or outlast you
best of luck with your probs
see you greg
AnswerID: 101424

Follow Up By: kimdoug - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:13

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:13
we have a kk platinum 2004 and never had a major prob yet touch wood
it does a fair bit of off road serious stuff towed by a 3lt diesel auto patrol 2002 away 3weekend in 4 in se qld and northern nsw did over 7000kms over xmas new year and the only prob was water in fuel in tassy
FollowupID: 359396

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 13:12

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 13:12
Hi rudu

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. It must be incredibly disappointing, as well as infuriating and frustrating. There are some really unscrupulous people out there. We have just bought our second Challenge camper trailer and have been so impressed with their standards and attention to detail. I guess we have been lucky, but we did work on the theory that the more complex the build and fit out, the more there is to go wrong.

Good luck with your future travels
Anni
AnswerID: 101439

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:11

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:11
So $30,000 is no guarantee of quality.

Who said you get what you pay for.

I paid $7500 for mine and I'm EXTREMELY happy.

What a PITA eh.

When ever Jayco gets mentioned, Goldstream always crops up. Goota say though , first really BAD experience I have heard.

Hope it gets sorted.
AnswerID: 101462

Reply By: Member - Johnno - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:35

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:35
G'Day Rudu

We purchased a new Goldstream camper a few months ago which we had constructed with some modifications. It was our first venture into this mode of accommodation as we had camped in tents for years. We too paid around $30,000 and mistakenly expected everything to work. Briefly, our problerms included leaking water tank, unable to fill tank without great difficulty. wiring problems, bed end support pipes the wrong size, bed end canvas leaked profusely until it took up after being wet a few times (this I guess was to be expected with canvas), missing plate from microwave, sharp metal staples protruding from cupboards plus a few other minor hiccups.

Enough to put most people off I know, but the truth of the matter is that we reckon that the Goldstream is the best camper for the money for moderate offroad travel we could find - after extensively researching the suject.

The problem as we see it, is that buying from a dealer as we did is is all very well except that they usually sell numerous makes of products but are masters of none. When a problem is encountered , they are not a lot of help as basically, their job is to sell . Very few of their sales people, are really experienced in your brand of machine and and are at a loss to assist when a problem needs fixing. If we had our time again, we would buy through the manufacturer direct , if possible.

So we contacted Goldstream , and documented the problems. Whilst they were certainly not quick off the mark (no doubt due to their workload as there is currently a huge demand for caravans/campers of all description, we are advised ), the management did say that they would put it right, and they are. A process that we are currently engaged in. They appear to be genuine in resolving problems and keeping buyers happy .

All in all, we are still very pleased with our choice of camper, and at a recent caravan show we attended, the Goldstream stood out from other brands with it's quality and finish.

Johnno

AnswerID: 101563

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:55

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 18:55
I've got to agree Johnno. We bought a Goldstream about 3 years ago and the quality stood out against the rest including Jayco.
Coromals finish inside the drawers etc. was shocking and when I pointed it out to a salesman he just shrugged. Roadstar was falling apart on the forecourt with stitching coming undone but saleperson kindly said they'd fix it when we bought it!
Jayco had a wind up wire approx. 2/3rds the thickness of Goldstreams and a friends dad had a new one which collapsed when the wire broke!
But quality of workmanship is bad throughout the industry due no doubt to their eagerness to get the money in.
Check the welding on chassis and I reckon I could throw mud which would look better!
Sold the camper trailer now because the cook wanted more comforts!
FollowupID: 359496

Follow Up By: rudu - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:54

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:54
Thanks Johnno & Alan

I think its more the dealer at the moment, I do agree we thought the quality was better then the others thats why we paid the extra money.When we finally get the camper back ill let you know how it ends up.

thanks men.
FollowupID: 360142

Reply By: greydemon - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:39

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:39
I have a Cavalier - off road, heavy duty canvas version. Cost around $7500 with awning. It tows so well behind my Diesel Disco that I have to keep checking the mirrors to make sure that it is still there.
After a trip to the Kimberley, including Mitchell Falls, a couple of bolts that hold up the support legs for the kitchen worked loose and I had to spend nearly $4.00 to replace them, but not until we got home.

It is a little bit tricky for one person to open and pack away but it can be done.

Other than that no problems in 5 years. Can't be bad.

I really can't see what you get for your extra $20k.

Greydemon
AnswerID: 101565

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 13:17

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 13:17
I have a southern cross tent. $1000.00 never had an issue with it.

I have a Koala Campers Offroad box trailer $2000.00 that doubles as a bike trailer, and also for taking crap to the tip.
$3000.00 and Im happy..

Cant believe the bloke saying he paid $30k for a custom that had more issues than the War in Iraq and its "the great value"??

Take a road trip to the manufacturer themselves.
wait for camping shows when they are there and make yourself VERY LOUD standing in the middle of their stall when people are looking at their campers. also photocopy a few 100 pages with the complete story on their campers, then take them to the said camping shows, and while nobody is lookin stack them up inside the demo units for people to pick up as sales brochures.
A Website with photos, and complete story with facts, also gets the message across.
AnswerID: 101568

Follow Up By: Member - Johnno - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:12

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:12
Hi Truckster

I take your point. I guess these days everything comes down to cost in order to be competitive (I do not think that should be used as an excuse however) . Just look at the huge amount of discussion on the LCOOL website regarding IFS suspension failures on late model Landcruisers. And Toyota are apparently baulking at fixing the issue!

Providing manufacturers own their problems and put them right, it goes a long way to taking the bad taste out of your mouth, I think, especially if the product is basically good and does the job YOU require.

Johnno..............
FollowupID: 359563

Sponsored Links