injectors clutch patrol

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:39
ThreadID: 21011 Views:1687 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have had a GU 2.8L since new in 1998. It has 140000kms on the clock.
Has anyone had to have their injectors done at this mileage?
I know that clutches depend on the driving style but I would like to know when people have had to install a new clutch and disc pads.
We are planning a lazy trip to NQ for the middle of the year.
Has anyone installed a "chip" and wilth what results?
I get round 13L per 100ks. Is this about what others are getting?
I felt that it has used a bit more since I installed a snorkel.

Thanks Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:36

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:36
Hey Jim quite a few question there. I too have a 1998 GU 2.8tdi so here goes for my two bobs worth:

Injectors at 140K Kms - no. My car has a little over 160K Kms on the clock and haven't touched them. My mechanics advice is to leave them alone unless you are absoluted sure they are stuffed.

Clutch: well my clutch is still operating very effectively but I have developed a vibration in the 1400-1600 rpm range, especially when everything is nice and warmed up. Pretty sure that this is a problem with the dual mass flywheel but haven't been able to confirm that and I am a little reticent to change out the clutch and flywheel on that basis. Exeddy (formerly Daikin) make a solid flywheel for the 2.8 if you do have to change your clutch and it may be worthwhile getting some advice on this. No comparison in price - the Nissan dual mass is about $3000 and the Exeddy solid mass is about $800.

Chip: No I don't have one but those who have fitted them reckon they're pretty good.

Fuel consumption: I have kept fuel figures since buying the vehicle (@43000kms) and have returned a consistent 12.33 ltrs/100kms. For the most part the vehicle was toting a full length steel roof rack as well. Also done a LOT of work off road which included two trips to the Tip (Cape York).

Snorkel: Made no difference to mine that I noticed.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 101431

Follow Up By: hl - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:57

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:57
Hi,
I had the GU 2.8 for 3 years until 4 months ago, now have the 3.0.
Fuel consumtion was very similar to yours, best ever was 11.8, worst around 17l/100 runnung into a stiff headwind. But usually around 13/100, didn't make any difference whether running around town or a trip. Also had a full roof rack on it.
I sold it with 138,000. It still had the original clutch in it (the flywheel had been changed under warranty at 87,000k)
The brake pads were still original too, in fact I reckon they had another 100,000 to go at the rate they were wearing.
The vibration at 1500-1600 rpm was the cause of much grief with the local dealer at the time. They replaced the fuel pump, injectors, had the head off because some dullwit turned the engine over when the timing belt was off... in the end it got sorted when they replaced the flywheel which I thought it was (and told them) in the first place, but I did notice the vibration came back after maybe 20,000k.... I wasn't going to worry about it and it didn't seem to do any harm. In fact, I know most of them do it and it really didn't get any worse.

Now the ZD30 engine is definitely more economical (11-12l/100) and has more grunt. Although the difference is not as great as the marketing boys reckoned at the time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 359375

Sponsored Links