Battery/Generator/Wire Issue?!?!

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 19:19
ThreadID: 21027 Views:1792 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

I drive a Nissan Patrol 1990 3.0 Petrol. Yesterday I went for a bit of (wet and rough) offroading. I got a general warning light (the red '!') and one for the battery. My voltage showed just a bit above 12V instead of the normal 14V. As I couldn't find any mechanical damage nor lose wires etc. I went on and even drove home (over 300km). Even after stops in between the engine started smoothly but never charged over about 13V. I had a closer look today. The single cells of the battery show all good levels of charge and when I run the engine it slowly charges just like yesterday. Still I have the warning lights and just about 12.8 Volt when running the engine...might rise more after a longer run but doesn't seem to go anywhere near 14+V.
Any ideas what's broken or what to check?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Reisender
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:54

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 20:54
we had the same thing happen 12 months ago on our 1990 rb30 patrol.
turned out to be the brushes were worn out gave good charge some times and nothing the next.
you cant get replacement brushes from repco ect we didnt try nissan.
we thought we will fix it when we get to qld we were on holls from vic.
didnt play up the rest of the way so didnt bother doing anything then at landcruiser mountain it went again.this time it must have sent a power surge or something and blew the module in the dizzy.only one second hand dizzy in qld lol.
get it repaired asap.
cheers
AnswerID: 101496

Reply By: Vinnie - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:27

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:27
Yep! Sounds like the alternator is on the blink.

Any reputable auto electrics place can supply or install new brushes plus give it a check over.

I had new brushes put in my Mav alternator and a test done - all up cost $45.00

Worth doing than have go caput at a time you might most need it.

The warning bell is ringing ~~ prevention awaits.
AnswerID: 101500

Sponsored Links