fishing rods

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:06
ThreadID: 21085 Views:9471 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for some advice on buying a fishing rod as a present. I don't know a great deal about these things but thought there would be plenty here that do.
Its for general use in a variety of different environments.
ie. lakes, sea, rivers.
It would have to come with a reel.
I know that you get different rods for different conditions/types of fishing but I want a reasonably priced (less than $100) jack of all trades.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim (vic) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:22

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:22
Rihearn
If you go to K-mart and get a Rex Hunt out fit they are ok for most angling for beginners. If you are going to be fishing trout or native fish i would be getting a rod about 7-8ft with a reasonbly light tip, with 6-8 lb line and this can also used for the smaller saltwater fish as well. If you are after bigger fish you will need a heavier rod and heavier line.
There is a huge range of rods but these are a good starting point.
If you are not sure you could go to your local tackle store where someone should point you in the right direction

Good Luck
Tim
AnswerID: 101734

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:19

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:19
I agree as well.

The Shimano combos from K-Mart are good value for beginners. Don't get fancy, just a simple eggbeater reel and 6-7 foot rod of medium strength. There's really no "jack of all trades" as such as you need light rods and delicate tips for some fish (river) and stronger rods and stronger tips for bigger (saltwater and estuary) fish. 6' will be OK on a boat. $100 should get you a pretty good set. Be careful of over buying at a tackle shop.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 359584

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:48

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:48
Shimano Rex Hunt combos at K Mart are not good value - there is much better stuff around for the same price - that way you are not paying a premium for the Rex Hunt logo and the Shimano name .
Willie
FollowupID: 359640

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:20

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:20
Hi Willie,

I reckon the K-Mart jobs are great value. Yes, you are paying for the Shimano name (which is a good product anyway by the way), BUT you are taking advantage of K-Mart buying these things in volume. They're pretty cheap by comparison. Go to a fishing store and a similar unknown brand kit of similar quality and features will be same price or more. Plus, if you have problems you can take it back to K-Mart and swap it.

Can't go wrong.
FollowupID: 359744

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 16:16

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 16:16
Smocky ,

I can't agree I'm afraid . I know what K-Mart buying prices are , the margins they use and the prices they sell at compared to discount tackle stores . The only time that K-Mart has good prices is when they have their 25% off sales .

Shimano do make some nice reels , but these are in the quality end of the market ( I have six of them ). However in the med to low priced stuff they are not in the race of value for money .

I think you have had a bad experience at a tackle store which has soured your thinking . A discount tackle store can give you the correct product at a better price - especially someone like a new fisherman , who knows nothing about what he needs .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 359776

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:28

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:28
I agree.

You could do far worse then a Rex Hunt Shimano Combo from Kmart.

Probably something around 6 1/2 - 7 foot. Egg beater reel. Nibble tips are good.

Do lakes and rivers easy enough , would DO ocean , in calm conditions (a beach rod WOULD obviously be better for that.) , Probably a liittle big for a boat , but , careful management would be ok.

Throw small lures ok , bait , easily , would handle a decent size fish.
AnswerID: 101737

Follow Up By: DARREN - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:52

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:52
Agree on the nibble tip, I have recently purchased my first and the 3 interchangeable tips make it very versatile.
FollowupID: 359579

Reply By: ianmc - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:57

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 14:57
For salt water use try & get one with s/s ferrules. Evem for fresh water the others seem to rust & cost a lot to change over.
AnswerID: 101746

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:46

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:46
Ian ,
Metal ferrules went out with the ark . No decent rods are made with them now . They are all glass to glass ( except for really cheap rods and solid glass rods )
Glass to glass cuts out a lot of the flat spot in the taper , is stronger and does not corrode and jam together .
Willie .
FollowupID: 359639

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 18:58

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 18:58
Are all you people suggesting a nibble tip from Victoria and South Australia ?

Those rods wouldn't pull a greased stick out of a dogs bum !They were designed to catch small fish in Europe and if you only want to catch small fish with no fight then go for it .

If you would like a rod that can pull in big fish with some guts in the butt section , but still with a light enough tip to cast light baits - then go for a rod such as a Shakespeare Ugly Stik or a Silstar Power Tip .
For fishing in estuaries and lakes out of a boat , go for a 6' spin rod in one of the above .
For estuary fishing from the beach or pier with a bit of beach fishing as well , go for a , go for an 8' rod .
For beach fishing go for a light 10 - 12' rod .
For rock fishing go for a 10-12' med- heavy .
For a good "do everything" rod ( but do nothing perectly ) go for light fast taper 7'.

I can give you model numbers if you give me more info about the type of fishing you wish to do .

Willie .

PS - Do not , for any reason , buy a telescopic rod - they are crap .
AnswerID: 101791

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:59

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:59
woohooo! we're onto fishing!!

gotta disagree with you on the telly willie. I have a telly which suits me well when kayaking as it packs away nicely and is plenty strong. Often use it in the boat too as a back up light rig. Also easily stashed in the kit bag for a quit train trip to the river(Hawkesbury) etc. No probs pulling in the big flatties which suit me just fine.
Do like the ugly stick however.
FollowupID: 359646

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:30
I also have a number of graphite tele spin rods that I used in my kayak for three day whitewater trips etc . Some of them I rebound with single foot guides .
BUT - the average tele rod on the market is a horrible piece of poop and will be broken very easilly by people who do not know how to treat them .
The fella asking for the advice would not know a good one from a bad one and would probably break it trying to clear a snag or lifting a fish into the boat .
I used to bass fish the Hawkesbury ( spelt ) too .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 359655

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:39
"the average tele rod on the market is a horrible piece of poop and will be broken very easilly by people who do not know how to treat them ."

agreed Willie. Checked Windybanks the other day, Shimano have released a neat jobbie (with an eggbeater) for $40. Excellent value for money, but yeah, buyers need to protect the telescopic joints by collapsing (and extending) the rod gently.

Was out at Penrith last Sun and had been prawining/fishing the night before on the Hawkesbury so with rigs ready I nearly took it out to Penrith for a shot at the bass. Ended up going to the Museum of Fire instead.
FollowupID: 359657

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:06
Disagree on the nibble tip not being up to landing big fish. The nibble tipsa pirpose is to indicate a bite not to land the fsh. The fish fighting ability comes from the rest of the rod blank. Nibble tip rods are available in a range of blanks although you obviously get what you pay for.
FollowupID: 359665

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:17

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:17
Hi Pat ,
The problem is that , as you said the solid glass nibble tip is just a bite indicator - but unfortunately , it is on the end of the rod when you have to fight a fish . Importers have to bring in thousands of spare tips as replacements every year . Fine for tommie ruff (spelt ?) and little flathead and trout which don't fight .
Willie
FollowupID: 359667

Reply By: japmel - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:39
Go to a good reputable tackle shop, Tell them what you want to spend and what you want the gear for and they should help you with what you want.

You are going to get that many different answers on here it will confuse you if you are not an angler.

Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 101823

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:58
I agree ,
Go to a tackle shop , tell them how much you have to spend and what you want to do with it . At K-Mart , nobody can give you advice - except maybe in Darwin where there is a lady who really knows her stuff .
Willie .
FollowupID: 359663

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:08

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:08
Try www.proangler.com.au
Really good gear at reasonable price .
Used their surf rods while travelling around Australia two years ago. Really Good.
AnswerID: 101829

Reply By: Kata - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:52

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:52
Hi Guys

Just my 2 bits worth

Recently went to good old Kmart and bought a few rods and egg beaters.
Had vouchers and Kmart had 30% off.

Bought 2, 7" Ugly sticks $55(i think)(normally $79.99) each after discount...downfall is that they are one piece jobs as they didnt have the 2 piece option in stock.

Also bought a "PENN Ultimate Series 7" snapper 2 piece rod"rated @ 5-8 kg line for $34(Jarvis Walker company) ...normally $49.99 and i have been really impressed. Looks like a cheaper version of the ugly stick.
i recommend this rod...for price to quality and have already caught 5 pinkies..land based to 33cms and also used it up at the murray fishing cod 2 weeks ago...no problems upto 38cm that i caught(through backs of course)

still had $50 dollars left(voucher) so i thought id try and buy a reel and went for the "Jarvis Walker Gold Royale 5500 series" 5 ball bearing(RG 5500)( their retail was around the $50 mark minus 30% off was a good buy
This is the reel that is used on the PENN 7" snapper 2 piece rod works well with the Jarvis Walker Gold Royale 5500.

So even with no sale on them I would recommend this setup for under $100..fioof got that all out.

P.S. might go get myself another "PENN Ultimate Series 7" snapper 2 piece rod"

Cheers
Hope that helps
Kon
AnswerID: 101871

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:26

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:26
Good work Kon, agree with you.

The original question was "I want to buy a present for under $100". Can't go wrong with a combo pack from K-Mart for that.

I go to a fishing tackle store when I want something specific.
FollowupID: 359745

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 17:00

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 17:00
Willie, when I said ferrules I guess I meant runners. Still stick to what I said that plain steel runners painted black are a waste of time & money but most Kmart rods have em.
AnswerID: 101956

Sponsored Links