Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:14
ThreadID: 21098 Views:1433 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

I'm just about to replace the springs and shocks on the '90 swb gq as the back is too soft for the camping gear and the shocks are all worn out anyway. The new stuff will be toughdog and I expect it will the truck will ride a bit higher, though not much. I wasn't really looking for a lift just the ability to ride level with a load.
I'm also putting in polyairs at the same time as I have bought midweight rear springs rather than h/d, as I'm told the h/d will be too rigid when the truck is empty and the polyairs will give me variabilty.

My question :-

I bought the truck 2nd hand and it already had a body lift of about 1-2".

Will changing the springs make it illegal in NSW if it rides higher?

Personally I think the new springs/shocks will make it safer as it shouldn't roll as much and good shocks improve braking, but it's not my opinion that counts is it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 80scruiser - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:27

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 19:27
Just check with your insurance company.
I think that would be the only concern but I don't see a drama.
AnswerID: 101799

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:28

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:28
A side note- if you get a statement from your insurance company saying it will be ok, try and get it in writing on your policy. Most people you speak to at insurance companies are just agents, and have no control over whether a company will honour iffy claims. Try and speak to underwriting to get a solid answer, but either way get it in writing and you're set.
In addition, there is a general standard cover clause stating if the vehicle is not roadworthy it will not be covered- If you have not checked with your RTA and it turns out you are slightly illegal you are cactus, regardless.
FollowupID: 359762

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:56
If you state to the suspension supplier exactly what you want, I don't think you will end up too high. And I will say, you would be better to contact a suspension supplier, not a 4WD shop. You'll save money too.
AnswerID: 101839

Follow Up By: rihearn - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:52

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:52
Thats exactly what I've done. It was the suspension supplier who recommended the combination of midrange rear spring & Polyairs.
FollowupID: 359720

Sponsored Links