Improving the effeciency of a Chescold 3way fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:33
ThreadID: 21103 Views:9214 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all... we run a 50lt (Blue) Chescold 3 way fridge which seems to work OK but after reading a post from 'pixiemops' earlier tonight about how he has improved his fridge effeciency I was wondering if any one has done any modifications to a Chescold to help them and if so how and what do they suggest.
Thanks all...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wildbill - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:43

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 20:43
the best mod you can do is to put a "for Sale" on it - if you plan on using it in the tropics - other than as a holder for previously chilled or frozen food then forget it - i gave mine up 15 years ago in bitter disappointment - they are just not efficient enough if you plan on actually cooling something hot down - it has to be something with a compressor in it to work in hot climates
AnswerID: 101824

Follow Up By: pixiemops - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:03
With a bit of thought and commonsense wildbill I think they are the best option for camping . I am very fussy person and always looking to improve everything where I can and the mods ive made to this fridge of mine are bloody fantastic. If you like investing in solar panels and aux batteries then fine ..........some of us enjoy the peace and quiet of camping and without the need for panels and extra stuff to run a fridge....ps they dont have a compressor
FollowupID: 359664

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 21:30
Wildbill,

I could not agree LESS
My three way has given excellent service including 5 weeks in SA deserts where it (the frideg) was never hotter than -10C on 12 V all day and gas each night.

Thing is you need to
1. Get it cold
2. Keep it as full as possible with COLD stuff
3. Dont be in and out of it every three seconds

Compressor fridges are great but the three way is a usefull alternative for those who wat to use gas
FollowupID: 359669

Follow Up By: Boo - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:07

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:07
Disagree with you Wildbill... its been a fantastic fridge to date and as mentioned above its great to be able to run it on gas and not have to worry about power whether its 240 or 12v but its only weakness is the time it takes to drop the temp right down to where you want it.
But each to his own..
FollowupID: 359675

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:26

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:26
Boo

Some years ago I had a 3-way Gaselec. It was a freezer type and it's performance on gas as a freezer was second to none, regardless of ambient temp. Unfortunately it died of old age and I replaced it with a Chescold fridge type. In very hot weather it just can't cut the mustard, even on gas. Works fine until the temp > 30 deg then it fails to adequately perform.

So my advice to any considering a 3-way, and don't get me wrong, they are great units for fixed camping ... is to make sure it's a freezer type, rather than just a fridge.

Cheers

P.S. I also now also have a compressor fridge and reaffirm they both have their pros and cons.

AnswerID: 101847

Follow Up By: pixiemops - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:41
Hey Rosco.........the reason why I have endeavored to improve my fridge is that it does seem to drop off in performance at 30deg. After improving the insulation in particular it has definitely made a massive improvement. It appears to me that the main difference between the fridge and the freezer is the insulation. It wasn't hard to make an improvement . I was told the main difference between the finch fridge and the f400 freezer is the insulation and now have to agree. Until I seen the results for myself I wouldnt have believed using polystyrene to cover it on the outside would have had such a great effect.......guess it is all makes sense really

cheers
FollowupID: 359689

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:52

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:52
PM

Been there, done that, with both fan and extra insulation. All helps but at the end of the day there's no comparison. So I figure there's more to the freezer jobs than these aspects.

The old Gaselec had no additional add-ons in this regard and the insulation was no thicker, so I can only assume the system was different in some way.

Cheers
FollowupID: 359697

Follow Up By: Boo - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:56
Evening Rosco .. thanks for the feedback. But the Chescold type is called a fridge / freezer with a divider you can slide in so you can seperate the fride area from the freezer area. We use it with out the divider so it keeps the liquid gold as cold as we dare with out freezing it (which I did last Xmas camping down at Potatoe point and had to thaw it back out before it burst - lost a couple ) . But we often find the milk and softdrink (only for the kids... honest ) often have a large portion of ice if w'ere not careful about how we pack it.
FollowupID: 359699

Follow Up By: iMusty - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:51

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:51
That's one of the sadest things I've ever heard...

Your quote > "... lost a couple"

I am sorry for your loss.

The sooner we get this fridge debarko sorted out the better for us all.

:-)

Boo, if there is anything I can do...
FollowupID: 359719

Reply By: pixiemops - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 23:03
I know the freezer model draws more power and uses more gas and been told has more insulation.....all I know is the extra insulation to my fridge has transformed it. It was hot in perth today and all day the inside temp never went above 0 according to the temp gauge I have. Impossible before..Agree if you can afford it go the freezer when i bought mine was all i could afford at the time .

cheers
AnswerID: 101859

Reply By: GeeTee - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:25

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:25
I had a Chescold for a couple of years.
Sold it last year and bought the new Engel aniversary model. The Chescold is fantastic on gas, good if you are camped in one place or don't mind draging the fridge out of your vehicle every time you stop. 240 volt operation is OK but not as good as gas. 12 volt .. forget it. Constant current drain drags the battery down even if you suplement charging when stopped with solar, assuming you stop during the day.

GeeTee
AnswerID: 101893

Follow Up By: pixiemops - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:12

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:12
I find 12v just as good as 240v if you use heavy wire and get rid of the ciggy plug cheers
FollowupID: 359742

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:38
Hi pixiemops, OK on the heavy wiring and ciggy plugs. I have the wiring to the rear fused and direct from the dual battery, for the fridge etc, in some heavy duty clear covering cable that tricky dicky sells for speaker wiring. Not sure of the guage but it is huge. I use Arrid plugs and sockets for the fridge and any other things that go into the aux. wiring. They seem to offer no resistance, read heat build up, like the ordinary ciggy plug and socket.

I still had a problem when out bush on 12 volts with the Chescold with the battery voltage dropping to an unaceptable level overnight (flat ! !). The dual battery is only a 75AH deep cycle so at about 8 Amps for the Chescold with a fully charged battery you could only expect a bit over 9 hours running.

With the new engel at 2.5 intermittent draw I do not have a problem and can leave the fridge in the vehicle all the time.

GeeTee
FollowupID: 359748

Reply By: pixiemops - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:23

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:23
True Geetee I only use the fridge on 12v while travelling and no more than an hour when stopped.........the fridge type finch uses 75w which i work out to be 6.25amps ............when stopped i just put it on gas or 240

cheers
AnswerID: 101909

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:16

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:16
I think all my mods have been mentioned here before - My 3 way is a Sadec and is about 22 years old.
I run the frig from a dedicated wire straight from the Battery, a computer fan is mounted on the back to aid circulation and I have covered the frig in self adhesive foam backed foil (from Clark Rubber).
These mods have made a huge difference to its performance on 12v.
I also run the frig through a voltage cutout switch - 11.6v - which is usually about an hour.
I then switch to gas - and I turn the frig off at night.

Hope this helps - no good going the pros and cons of compressor frig V 3 way frigs - they are both completely different and can't be compared !

Cheers
Colin
AnswerID: 102062

Follow Up By: pixiemops - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:42

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:42
true Colin like comparing apples and oranges ......they are both liked and disliked and both good in different situations......cheers .....
FollowupID: 359941

Reply By: pixiemops - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:04

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:04
Hi Colin

Tried to find the foil you speak of but Clark Rubber didnt seem to have anything like it ....I live in west o.z.....so went for the polystyrene sheet 25mm .......couldnt be happier with fridge now .....so far so good ........dont seem to have any problems with condensation. time will tell on that one but the extra insulation has transformed this fridge well beyond what I expected....definitely worth doing just wish electolux would have done it initially for me......cheers.
AnswerID: 102098

Reply By: pedro - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:32

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 20:32
Hi all,
many varied posts on this subject: Three way fridges when used on gas, need the fridge to be totally level, to work to their best ability. If you make sure this is the case you will be very happy with the running of the fridge. Also it is the most economical way to run this type of fridge.
Worth keeping the fridge in the shade when out of the vehicle!!
Cheers
Peter
:-)>
Go Expoloroz.com.au
AnswerID: 102104

Sponsored Links