Engine transplant for 80 series

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 at 22:46
ThreadID: 21106 Views:5207 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

Would like advice from any 80 series owners (or previous) that have swapped their petrol 1fz motor for a 1hz turbo diesel or the newer 1hdt turbos.(I think that's the 100 series diesel).

Not interested in the V8 Chevs.

Considering doing it myself with assistance. Mainly after any major compatibility problems or installation problems that anybody may have come across.

Regards,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:39

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:39
Chris,

Have you looked to www.lcool.org ?? There is a list specific to the 80 series - you might find them a bit more of a niche market for something like this
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 101877

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:15

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:15
The hardest part of that conversion is finding a good preloved hdj80 (95 or later) working out a loan, and then swapping all your goodies off the petrol....it is too hard to swap the motors...EVERYTHING is different down to the engine/chassis mounts and wiring loom, to the fuel tanks and pipes that feed the motor.
If however, you are a sadist...get a wreck from pickles.com and start pulling everything off it that is still ok. should pa about 7k
Andrew
AnswerID: 101880

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:22

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:22
G'day Andrew,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Conversions or engine swaps are a PIA. In the old days(60/70/80's) when vehicles weren't so complicated, conversions may have been an option. But today it is better to flog your current vehicle and go and buy another of your choice. Far less stressful and probably cheaper in the long run.
FollowupID: 359729

Reply By: Coops (Goldfields) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 14:35

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 14:35
Hi Chris
have sent you a member message
AnswerID: 101935

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 15:33

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 15:33
Hi Chris
This is quite a big job but an enjoyable one that you can do and achieve some thing.
You need to get two trucks one wiyh each engine style, park them side by side and write down every thing you see as different. This becomes your working list.
Are you an engineer? if not find a friend who is to be with you as you make the list, he can explane what each job entails.
Engine transplants are not hard just time consuming, try to do one piece at a time and finish it or you will end up frustrated with no progress.
I trust this is of some help
Ray
AnswerID: 101944

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 22:38

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 22:38
Thanks Ray,
I know that Brusnwick diesels do them and have made inquiries. They say that they do this specific job all the time but unfortunately it's very expensive so I know its possible.

My friend is an experienced mechanic of 20yrs and has had some experience with the more modern vehicles.

I'll take your advice - I'm more inclined with toyota motors as 'I've been told' the engine mounts and bell housing are compatible so that should make it a bit easier.
I'm aware and quite prepared to have the car in the workshop for up to a year - it will have to be as I buy each bit one by one apart from the actual motor itself.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I shall now go forward and dig my hole.

cheers
FollowupID: 359918

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:32

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:32
Hi Chris
If I were you I would buy the engine complete as this will more than likely be a bit cheaper than buying a bit at a time.
Also when you buy the engine see if you get one that is still in the body that way you can see if you can get all the plugs that fit the engine wiring harness. This will save you a major hassle when you come to wiring the new engine up.
I do not think the radiator is different but I think the fan cowl is.
Have the flywheel resurfaced and fit a new clutch kit before you put the engine in, use a genuine clutch kit ( I have not had a great deal of success with the pirate ones ). If you do it this way you will have one big expence and the rest will be relatively minor and it just your time then
See if you can get the air intake hoses and the first 500 mm of exhaust with the engine this will also save you a lot of head aches
Ray
AnswerID: 102145

Sponsored Links