waterproofing

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2112 Views:1851 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are using a jayco dove for a big trip. It is approx 1988 model. The water penetrates the sides where the beds are. Has anyone used the waterproofing paint - reccomended by local repair places - does it work - can you tell me if the bed flys with the shadecloth sides keep the water from getting on the canvas and so stop the moisture getting to the beds.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mel - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Robyn, me again! Why don't you go to http://group.yahoo.com/groups/campertrailers and have a chat to the members (of which I'm one) there. There are members Aust. wide and probably some with Jayco Dove's. The group is all about sharing info, experiences, travel tips etc with like-minded people. Could be helpful in planning your trip. Regards, waterproofing paint...I used it years ago on an old cavas tent and found it quite good for waterproofing in light rain. It didn't cost much and only took an hour or so to apply so I figured I had nothing to loose. Yes, I have heard (from the group) that the bed flys are very good - for extra shade as well as wet weather protection.
Happy travels, Melissa
AnswerID: 7249

Follow Up By: Robyn - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Mel, what a great source of info you are. I will have a look at that site now.
FollowupID: 3317

Reply By: ROWDY - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

I used a product called Thomsons which I believe is used to waterproof cement products. It is added to the mixture of concrete. It seemed to work ok on my canvas ute canopy but it made it appear tranparent from the inside but it was approx half the price of the canvas product from the camping shops but anything bought there is usually pretty pricey.
Years ago I remember my father using bees wax which he melted into the canvas the old irons that they used to sit on the old wood stoves. He heated them with a kero primus. It made the canvas a fair bit heavier and the bees wax had an odour of the wax in hot sunlight but there was no way it was going to leak in heavy rain and it lasted for about 5 years.
Rowdy
AnswerID: 7267

Follow Up By: Robyn - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Rowdy, Your dads method is probably the best ever, as most old ways of doing things sometimes are. I have priced a waterproofing paint (can be sprayed on ar painted on) is only $30 per 4 litres. Not to bad - if it works. We might just have to give it a burl.
FollowupID: 3340

Reply By: Gerry - Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Robyn
I bought a new Jayco Finch and had no problems whatever in the wet. I have bed flys without sides. However, friends of ours bought a second hand unit, which the previous owners obviously scrubbed down before selling. Theirs leaked quite badly. They did apply the recommended sealer, but it was never as good as our new one. They ended up making solid sides for their flys to try and minimise the problem. They have recently sold it for a pop-top off roader. Iguess you just need to make sure you buy the best sealer you can and don't skimp on cheaper products. Cheers and good luck
AnswerID: 7289

Follow Up By: Robyn - Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Gerry, I think we will do both - the Deluxe flys are not all that dear and a coat of the waterproof paint shouldn't be a bad idea either. - I read your other response on the fridge and appreciate your input.
robyn
FollowupID: 3379

Sponsored Links