2Kva Inverters.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 16:58
ThreadID: 21123 Views:5516 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any information on prices for 1 or 2 Kva Inverters. I am inclined toward the Honda but open to suggestions. Required to use as backup power on rural residential block and also for portable power for drills saws, planes etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 17:31
Slim
I use a 3.5 kVA generator as back up. You can get a 2 kVA generator for not more than an inverter, and you don't have the prob of recharging batteries (of which you will need plenty if you run at 2 kVA for any length of time).
AnswerID: 101961

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 19:11

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 19:11
Bob,

This issue of generators/ inverters is a little outside the parameters of my electrical knowledge. When I last looked at these units the salesman told me what we would previously have classified as a generator(HONDA) was now an inverter. This he said was due the fact that whilst it still produced electrical power the sine wave was different and so the classification an inverter. I am after a 2 Kva Honda Power Unit and I'm trying to find out what is an acceptable price.
FollowupID: 359797

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:30

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:30
I'm not surprised you were confused - so was I!

http://www.kiporgenerators.com/why_kipor.htm

These units are generators - basically if it has an engine it's a gen.

What Kipor have done is to use a microprocessor to control the feedback loop from the electrical output to the engine control - good idea, it will probably do a better job than a mechanical governor.

Next they have, essentially, included an inverter (much like you buy from Jaycar to run from your car battery) between the alternator and the final output socket. I suspect the reason they have done this (it's complicated and expensive) is because they could not get sufficiently fine control of the engine to prevent output fluctuations when applying/removing load. An inverter should allow them to produce a very accurate voltage/frequency/sine wave purity output.

Downsides (as I see them): more complicated and difficult to repair if it goes wrong, inverter semiconductor output is much more susceptible to damage than a direct alternator output, more expensive.

Do your _really_ need power that clean? Most things won't care very much.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 359848

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 21:18

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 21:18
Hi Slim
This site has a unit that appears to be what you are after and quite abit cheaper than the Honda equivalent.

Inverter

Ray
AnswerID: 101993

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 21:19

Thursday, Mar 10, 2005 at 21:19
Try again
http://www.grahams.com.au/Grahams/index.cfm?ID=220&ProductView=669
Ray
AnswerID: 101994

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:08

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:08
I am just another believer in the superior performance of the HONDA. I have had several over the years and no complaints. The info from Mike is helpful but the problem seems to be: If you want a 1 Kva or2Kva gen for multiple use and this includes camping etc, the low noise capacity of these units is a definite plus. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are all made as inverter/generators. The option would be to choose a true generator but you would need to forgo the noise reduction.
FollowupID: 359856

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 15:00

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 15:00
Honda gens. are good, no question. I have no idea if they have an inverter included in the gen. set too.

I cannot see why there would be any relationship between the noise levels of the gen and the presence/absence of an inverter? Surely noise is a function of engine and exhaust/intake silencing?

The term "inverter" is a complete misnomer and should never have been used (although I fear it is now entrenched). An "inverter" doesn't invert anything it's simply a switch mode power supply and by using fast switching electronics can convert one voltage (AC or DC) to either a higher or lower voltage (again AC or DC).

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 359884

Reply By: Member - Slim - Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 21:52

Friday, Mar 11, 2005 at 21:52
I don't think the presence of the inverter is related to the noise levels of the unit.
It seems that HONDA just choose to sell the inverter generator with noise reduction whereas the industrial generators have no inverter and also no noise reduction. It would seem to be a marketing decision probably based on the assumption that those needing "cleaner" power may also be the same people that want less noise.
The price I have been quoted at present for the 2 Kva Honda inverter generator was just under $2000.
AnswerID: 102115

Reply By: hedevil - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 11:34

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 11:34
Hi at last years caravan and camping show in brisbane i approached the honda dealer offered him $1800 for the honda 20i and bought it with 3 year warranty security cable. i would trust they might be a little cheaper this year try them out. max and carol
AnswerID: 102159

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 02:26

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 02:26
Thanks for all the info. As a point of interest HONDA do an industrial generator which is about 6 Kva and actually costs about $400 less than the 2Kva inverter generator. Decision time soon !!!!!
FollowupID: 359999

Reply By: hedevil - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 14:27

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 14:27
that would be great slim depends on how portable and how much room you have to transport a 6 kva max and carol
AnswerID: 102229

Sponsored Links