nissan patrol 4.2 td why no auto

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 13:41
ThreadID: 21166 Views:4083 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
hi just a casual query for you well informed users
i wonder ou loud why nissan dont offer the patrol 4.2 td in an auto - seems pretty Bl**dy dumb to me to miss out on that big potential market - i already have a nissan 3.2 td auto and yes its a series 2 / 2001 model and yes i do have extended warranty to 150 K but i must honestly say its been a very very good 4wd vehicle to date and the engine is fine - touch wood - but i am thinking of moving it on shortly and buying a more powerful td towing vehicle which must be an auto and i really dont like the stories i am regularly hearing about the Toyo 4.1 td IFS and its cracks - any way i hate torsion bars suspensions at any time - any comments
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 15:37

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 15:37
G'day mate....firstly, sorry if I sound pedantic......but I think your current motor is probably a 3.0L (not a 3.2L) and the Toyota motor is a 4.2 TD (not a 4.1)....

Okay, now onto your question. The story as I understand it is that the 4.2TD is considered by Nissan to be their "workhorse" model and isn't considered warranted to install a "lazy-man's slushbox" (there; that should start a few fights and get me a few smartarze remarks back...hahaha). I have read on here that a few blokes would've bought the 4.2 instead of ending up with a 3.0L....but they had to cater to their missus' inability to operate the clutch on a manual vehicle.

I've said it before that whilst I can't envisage ever buying an automatic, I certainly can see that they are superior to a manual box in almost all driving situations. The big exception is their lack of engine braking on steep decents, but if you were really worried about that you could fit a set of "rock-crawler" transfer case gears.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 102174

Follow Up By: gregr - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 17:02

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 17:02
thanks for the reply roachie
yea soory about the 4.2 / 4.1 and the 3.0 / 3.2 stuff up - not unknown for me to do - glad you knew what i meant

wish i had a 3.2 td actually a bit more power be good

mate i just cant understand why nissan push the somewhat sus 3.0 td when they have a excellent and totally reliable even if is a a bit of a workhorse 4.2 td but thats the way it is i guess

and its not just the missus who wants the auto mate - this old dog is a bit tired of fixing clutches on 4wds and doesnt relly like manuals anymore

incidently is that an ultimate behind your rig and how do you find it - we have a 2004 kk classic marina which has been a bl**dy warranty nightmare to date and spends more time back at the kimberley factory in ballina than out camping with us - yea i know some kind soul will post how all kk are just so bl**dy great - well let me tell you they aint pal - and we are currently toying with the idea of moving it on and maybe looking at an ultimate as a replacement unit

see you
greg
FollowupID: 359969

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 17:41

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 17:41
Greg,
Yes mate, we've had the Ultimate since Feb 1999 (it was 6 months old when we got it). We've been extremely happy with it. Apart from normal wear and tear (recently had the brakes re-built) we've had no dramas at all.
Sorry to learn of your KK troubles. Hope you can off-load it (maybe advertise it on this site's Trader Section). I can certainly recommend the Ultimate to you.
Good luck
Roachie
FollowupID: 359970

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 22:05

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 22:05
Who are u calling a lazy man Bill?????? I need to conserve energy for the arm exercising end of the day :)).
FollowupID: 359988

Follow Up By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 00:08

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 00:08
thanks roachie
mate we will keep a bit of an eye open for an good 2nd hand ultimate

the kk is down at the kimberley factory at ballina now and you never know maybe they will finally fix it this time

but i must say i like the look of ultimate when i have seen it set up
and we camped nect to one in cooktown on our cape trip last year

good tripping mate
see you greg
FollowupID: 359998

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:11

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 19:11
Hi gregr, Nissan have made it known through some media outlets that the 4.2 TDi is not on the "long term" planning table, 100% because of new emission regulations. I suspect this is why they havn't bothered with an auto.

Pitty really, because I believe it would match up well with the 5 speed auto like the one used in the 4.8 petrol Patrol.

Having said that, the 3.0 TD would be so much better with a 5 speed auto. My 4 speed auto 3.0 Patrol is pretty good, but would be awesome with a 5 speed auto.

Also gregr, don't let all those stories put you off. Only a hand full of landcruisers have fallen appart. Considering how many are out there, I think they still have a bloody good record, and the IFS front end is still reasonably capable, as long as you don't want to go extreme offroading. They are super comfy for cruising and have power to spare.

And as for the 3.0 TDi Patrol. The new ones seem to have most of the bugs sorted out, apart from clutch problems, but your after an auto, so that should be no worries. Take one for a drive, I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

My only concern at the moment is that Nissan seem to wearing thin on the customer relations front.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 102186

Follow Up By: Davoe - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 20:05

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 20:05
I sorta agree I reckon if the 3.0l had not been having its problems (what problems?) trucksters beloved 4.2 would have been buried. Nissan already encourage buying the 3.0l by making it cheaper dont tell me it is cheaper than producing a 4.2 and no slushbox is really an indication of where they are heading. It is annoying that T dont give more options as they already have the rfs platform. Remember the days when you could get what you liked on a vehicle just by ticking option boxes?
FollowupID: 359983

Follow Up By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 13:15

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 13:15
yea gday muzz
mate a 5 speed auto with the 3.0 l td sounds pretty good to me

my patrol is a 2001 ser 2 3.0 td model and never had a prob with it to date ( touch wood ) and yes i have extended warranty to be safe but a good off road vehicle with an arb air front locker in it but not a great tow vehicle and it struggles with our fully loaded kk off road and particularly in sand which i do a bit of - on fraser moreton & strady etc

hence my interest in an upgrade to more power with 4.2 td but we are lazy off road drivers and like the auto so guess it has to be toyo next time but mate are they bl**dy expensive so maybe a good 2nd hand one is the way i will have to go but not all that wrapped in the fact they crack the IFS and occassionally blow a turbo and hole a piston or two

what do you tow mate and what year / model is your 3.0 l td
see you greg

FollowupID: 360013

Reply By: pauls - Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 20:06

Saturday, Mar 12, 2005 at 20:06
I recently contemplated a new 4.2 DX Patrol. I went to a few Nissan dealers to get prices and all were really negative about the 4.2 litre motor and also the DX model and all strongly recommended me to to go for the 3.0 litre ST as they claimed that the 3.0 litre was better performance than the 4.2 and that the ST was better re-sale. I almost felt like they were pushing this motor at the expense of the others. I thought it a little strange.

Just my 2 bob

Paul
AnswerID: 102190

Follow Up By: gregr - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 00:02

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 00:02
gday paul
yea i have inquired about the 4.2 td a coupla times and each time the nissan sales guys do push you in the direction of the 3.0 td
tell you its thirsty motor and that the 3.0 has similar power / torque etc

thats when i tell them i have a 3.0 td now and do they still blow holes in the no 4 cyl - they look a bit pale and tend to lose interest in me then - oh well

unfortumately i only have two choices in a td auto

nissan 3.0 gu td bit under powered to tow off road well - but a dtronic helps and i guess the later model 3.0 td is pretty much ok
also it is very economical to run

or a toyo 4.2 td with enough power but bl**dy expensive and not all that cheap to run eitherand with a bit of a history with the front IFS cracking and an occassional turbo blowing up and holing a cylinder i know of two that have done this in brisbane

oh well there is no perfect off road 4wd vehicle but i think an auto 4.2 td nissan would be well on the way for me but it aint available

life was not meant to be easy

see you greg

FollowupID: 359996

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 15:24

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 15:24
Yes it is puzzling, considering the previous model GQ had 4.2 and auto available right from release day, and apart from the odd lock-up clutch carking now and then, they were a pretty reliable unit. As for the IFS issue, Nissan will sell heaps of Patrols if Toyota persist in this folly of a suspension on a truck. If it was so good, you'd think they'd have slotted it under the 78 series by now eh. I suspect that they secretly believe that it is considered too suburban for a work horse! Besides, the 100 series just does not handle that much better than a live axle Gu anyway, it's splitting hairs.
AnswerID: 102232

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 23:29

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 23:29
gregr, My 3.0 Patrol is FEB 2000 build. Stop it, I can hear everyone laughing and saying, oh well, won't be long before she blows !!!!!
It had 64,000 on the clock when I got it and has just clocked 93,000

The only troubles I have had are;

1. dust getting past the air filter and stuffing up the Air Mass Sensor when we went through the Pilbara, Milstream NP etc; I had broken the seal on the intake pipe, just inside the guard when I fitted the dual battery system. I have since had a snorkel fitted, with an inner pre cleaner sock, so no worries now.

2. the semi auto free wheel hubs constantly click when in 4WD, and sometimes they don't disengage when we have "unlocked" the hubs and taken it out of 4WD. My mechanic has had them appart twice now and the next option is to fit new AVM free wheel hubs.

3. I have recently had trouble keeping the front wheels in ballance and I'm hoping it's not the famous Nissan Shakes. My tyres are BF Goodrich TA's, and some say it's the tyres at fault.

We tow a Jayco penguin (not offroad) 780kg tare weight and I guess just over a ton when loaded. The 3.0 TDi with auto box is great with this camper, especially in low range 4WD. I just put it in "D" and let it do it's stuff.

As for other options for you, you could look for a GXL 4.2 diesel cruiser with an auto box (yes you can get them) get the bottom end of the motor done up and whack a turbo on it. That way you get a rigid front end, a good turbo six and a comphy vehicle to boot.
AnswerID: 102312

Sponsored Links