need advice on toyota landcruiser 40 series

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 14:47
ThreadID: 21185 Views:8331 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am currently looking to get into 4wdriving. I need a cost effective transport, that will not see too rough a time but needs to get me through to place my current sedan cannot. I am keen to purchase an old 40 series landcruiser. I am especially interested in a Bj42 due to their reliability, price and fuel economy. Is there anyone out there who can give advice on their rough price range, what i should look out for (major problems), how easy parts and servicing are for the model, and a rough idea of an engine rebuild price. I know the old cruisers involve a lot of time and work but i am keen to have it as a bit of a project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:01

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:01
Daniel, I bought an old FJ45 in Kununurra about 17 years ago fitted with a newer model 4.0l petrol, Holley carby and 4 speed put in it. Went real well but not a great long distance vehicle.

I never did anything to it except put juice in it and cane the bejesus out of the poor thing and it just kept on going and going. Didn't have a roof so I just wore my motorbike helmet and leather jacket when it rained.

IMHO The 60 series wagons are brilliant; longer wheel base, still simple, aircon on some, can sleep in them OK and can be had at reasonably cheap prices.

Afraid I can't tell you much more mate. Sorry I'm not much use to you.

Get into 4x4'ing. Good fun and it's a sport that just gets better as you go along.
AnswerID: 102273

Reply By: Davoe - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:05

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:05
Have you considered an old landie with the holden motor conversion, price range is around 1500 to 3k and you dont have to worry about engine rebuilds just swap the whole motor for a carton if it goes bang
AnswerID: 102275

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:09

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:09
If you choose to go that way, I think the series 3 Landrover has the Salisbury diffs which are far less prone to axle breakage than the older 2A's etc. Don't get the original Landrover 6cyl, they burn valves with monotonous regularity, stick to the Holden red motor as Davoe suggests. Check the brakes, they pack up and are expensive to fix. The old 2.25l 4 cyl's go for ever, but are a slow revving, long stroke motor. Dump the original Solex carby and go for the Stromberg conversion too.

Drive one first as the Landrover is truly an 'enthusiats vehicle'.
FollowupID: 360056

Follow Up By: Chucky - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:03

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:03
If you want to go this way I know a bloke here in Brissy selling a series 3 with the holden conversion for $1000 bucks. The only thing wrong with it is the clutch is stuffed.
FollowupID: 360151

Reply By: The Blackman - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:29

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:29
GDay Daniel

I owned a 1980 BJ40 for a year or so and that was my first introduction into 4wdriving. I loved the 40 series shape, the noise of the diesel and the rough as guts ride. Mine was a 3litre 4 speed, while I think the BJ42 is a 3.4Lt, (correct me if I am wrong). Mine was a slow thing, but prett good on fuel, sitting on a hundred resonable well. I had aircon and extractors already fitted to mine which were great bonuses. A lot of these older 40 series already have some great mods fitted, ie improved suspension which are things to look out for. I blew the head on the diesel due to a very quick unfortunate overheating incident and after 2 grand, a rebuilt topend and a new radiator i was running again and the motor was still blowing smoke. You will learn a lot about simple mechanics owning one of these things, en essential tool for getting into 4wdriving. Am not sure where you are, but in WA parts for 40 series are still reasonably easy to get hold of once you start looking. Look out for rust under the gurads, the window surround, front grill and rear panel parts.
Good luck

Nigel
AnswerID: 102340

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:32

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:32
look out for the 4th gear not holding (pump the accellerator pedal on and off whilst in gear), noisy whine from the box in 4th, excessive slop in steering, killer water leaks in the doors, rust under the side steps and in the rear quarters, leaking diff oil from the rear hubs (sprays out onto wheel rims), 4wd not engaging, or staying engaged after unlocking. Check for excessive mud in the chassis, slop in the driveline, sinking brake pedal, tyres rubbing on tie-rod ends at full lock.

Parts and servicing- due to the amount of the buses on the streets, its unusual you will have difficulty finding common parts- Terrain Tamer (through Don Kyatt in WA) does a huge range of dirt cheap replacement parts, and their service is tops.

So long as you understand they are rough as guts and require time, you'll have a ball.
AnswerID: 102350

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:39

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:39
Hi If you can live with the ride they haavee, then they are a reliable jigger...however for a few k more......the sky is the limit...
Andrew
AnswerID: 102352

Reply By: bj42 Daniel - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:40

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:40
Thanks so much guys for your input, you help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for making Exploroz information spot.

Daniel
AnswerID: 102481

Sponsored Links