Something different - cooking squid

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 19:16
ThreadID: 21191 Views:4100 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

I guess is related to 4wding because I often use my 4wd to get to fishing places and love catching squid for both bait and camp food. Just wondering what recipies some of you out there have for them in case they appeal to me for something different. I'll start the ball rolling with my favourite (and the only way of cooking it I know!). You can use both body and wings so there is little wastage. Use the head for bait.

Clean squid of head, skin and guts (using whatever method you prefer) keeping wings in tact.
Slice body open to make one flat sheet of squid.
Tenderise using whatever, I use a tenderising mallet. The more tenderised the better. Often ends up in a gooey mess.
Cut meat into strips of about 5 x 2 cms.
Shake in plastic bag in which you have put some flour to coat the strips
coat in beaten egg, then straight into a bowl of breadcrumbs with a generous amount of your favourite seasoning. I solely use lemon pepper. Can also add stuff like chilli flakes etc.
Shallow fry in a hot frying pan/camp oven/lid. Only takes a couple of minutes, turning in between.
Drain on paper towel if you feel that way inclined.
Enjoy with tartare sauce/lemon/extra salt or just by themselves. Also good in sandwich with butter.

Looking forward to hearing a few more ways to prepare and cook.

D-Jack

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:11

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:11
marinate squid/calimari in pashion fruit prior to cooking really tenderises the flesh no need for the mallet,can use lemon juice if no passion fruit available,only needs cooking for 30-40 seconds.old cooking rule either 30 seconds or 30 minutes
yum.
AnswerID: 102277

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:01

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:01
Kiwi fruit juice also works really well to tenderise the flesh.
FollowupID: 360078

Reply By: porlsprado - Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:55

Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 at 21:55
always take the skin off as it can provides bitterness to small squid. If large squid, fillet them. If you have ever been served squid that feels like it has a gladwrap coating catching between your teeth or it is rubbery, it should have been filleted. This is an expensive process because of the waste but the large squid pieces are divine melt in your mouth. Need a really really really sharp thin knife and fillet the glad wrap outer bit (not the skin which sits directly above), you will know you've done it right by the almost indestructable but gladwrap thin stuff left over.

How do i like squid, oh so many ways, love to cross cut them (so they curl) then chill them then powder coat them in cornflour then into a really hot smoking small amount of peanut oil wok then into a separate dry wok (no oil) with finely cut shallots and chilli. Season with crushed balinese (or murray river etc) salt and cracked pepper.

Maybe heat up some onion garlic and ginger in a vegetable oil, make up in a small bowl a mixture of oyster sauce and soy sauce. Add that. then mix some cornflour and water and turn in to thicken, but u must bring the cornflour mixture to a boil briefly even to take out the flour flavour. eat with rice.

Red onion and garlic in olive oil then add some chopped tomatoes and last add briefly the fresh squid - then immediately add the warm al dente pasta. No cheese, the flavour of the fresh squid will shine through ( if it is a good quality 100% semolina pasta cooked al dente in a salted boiling water). Serve garnished with cracked pepper and chopped flat leaf parsely.

Flash fried in heated olive oil and butter and garlic served with cracked pepper and toothpicks, yum.

but me, never caught squid. gota learn how. have a squid jig but its never been rigged up, tragic i know. I live in west end in brisbane, do squid come this far up the river? an old greek guy spoke to the other day is catching good brim and the odd whiting these days, gotta wonder though bout the heavy metal residues cause of 100yrs of industry.
AnswerID: 102291

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:39

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 00:39
A fair bit of info regards squid here,

Squid Forum
Enjoy,
Mike
AnswerID: 102320

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 17:22

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 17:22
Well I'll be...

As if there's a site dedicated to squid!

Thanks
FollowupID: 360132

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:52

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:52
I hope you dont use the tentacles for bait...thats the best part if the squid for eating....

i cook it on the bbq......30 secs each side......salt n pepper and a little olive oil
AnswerID: 102333

Sponsored Links