Tough Dog shock unscrewing

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:53
ThreadID: 21207 Views:2578 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Bought myself a set of 2" lifted toughdog shocks 4months back to suit the 2" lifted toughdog coils I had been running. More recently I changed over the sagging coils to a set of OME 868's (which ride now at almost a 3" lift). On looking for a place to mount an air resivoir I noticed one toughdog had managed to pull itself apart.

I took it off the vehicle and although it is in 2 parts it doesnt seem broken. There is the top half of the shock, with the rod attached and thread intact on the bottom of the rod, and then there is the oil resivoir on the bottom half of the shock - still with oil- no holes, or anything like that. It looks like the damper on the end of the rod has simply unscrewed from the shock rod.

I tried to sort a straight out warranty replacement from a different branch of the 4wd shop that I purchased it from (I live some distance from the original shop) but have been told that because the springs and shocks were mismatched I have a problem. Im now looking at a 700km leg of my easter weekend with one rear shock missing just to try and sort a warranty job.

Anyone come across this failure before, or had shocky dramas from mismatched shocks and springs? On the front Im running a different combo again- have been for 30000km without a problem!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 13:51

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 13:51
Sorry mate, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying???

If the shocky is in 2 parts, surely it MUST be broken.....unless you're only talking about the outer cover that keeps the piston rod covered, perhaps???

If this is the case, then you can still use the shocky, but bear in mind that the piston rod may be susepible to stone damage etc.

If that is not what you meant, then I'd have to suggest you give us some extra detail please.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 102362

Follow Up By: Diamond (Vic) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:09

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:09
it sounds like the rod itself screws into the pison inside the shocker.
ive seen it before myself inside the shocker i told a customer his shockers are stuffed when i fulled them out to replace them yup sure enough two pieces.
FollowupID: 360113

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:38

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:38
yeah, sorry- not the clearest.

Diamond is spot on.

When i said they dont seem broken its because they do not display any external damage; There is no visible cracks, dents, holes etc anywhere. Clearly, yes- they are indeed broken through, because the thing is now in 2 parts. There is the lower half of the shock (oil cannister and bore) and the other piece is the shockie rod with the stone guard.

FollowupID: 360117

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 15:05

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 15:05
Driving without a shockie is bloody dangerous - a couple of k's down to the shop to get another shockie maybe but certainly not 700km. The coil could fall out (but not likely on tar). Vehicle control will be severely compromised - will bouce like buggery at the shockieless corner.
Can't you just rethread the top back into the bottom? If so that's got to be better than driving without a shockie.
And re the warranty issue - can't see that having brand X shockie with brand Y coils can void any warranty. Does the Toughdog extend far enough to cope with the longer travel OME's? If so they shouldn't have a leg to stand on. If not then go for the one that sold and installed the OME's - they should have told you that the existing shockies were not suitable.
AnswerID: 102369

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 15:22

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 15:22
I have found winding up my front adjustibles compensates for most of the bounce- either way I cant afford to go buy a new shock, drive a few hundred Kms then hope to flog it off for $200 less than I paid for it.

I have tried screwing in the rod to the piston, but it doesnt seem to grab- the thread on the rod is fine, but there is nothing holding the piston head still to stop it spinning inside the shocks bore. Theres also a few weeks worth of red dust in the shock oil from 4wding, and half the oil has been lost.

I never would have thought that it could void the warranty- but then I haven't been told it definately has. I have just been told that I have to get to the original store to sort it out (whilst most other warrantly jobs can be handled through different branches!). I wasnt told specifically that they would match- I was told to grab measurements, which i did and they gave me my shocky part number from that.
FollowupID: 360122

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:06
Why dont you heget the ther shop on the phone and tell them whats happened? They can get onto Shop C (Close by) to get them to check stuff out for them. I am sure of you told them that you would be claiming for any damage caused by driving 700km with a shockie short, they'd come to the party.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360134

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 17:14

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 17:14
Mate I'd be writing a letter to the head office of this 4wd shop and demanding that it get sorted out locally, that's just plain rediculous. Put it in writing, send a copy to all three of them.
1. the store you purcahsed it from.
2. the store refusing to warranty the product.
3. The head office.

I would be suprised if you didn't get a result from that, I would also be posting their name here if their service levels are so poor as to not look after you in this case so as other travellers can be warned of their antics.
AnswerID: 102383

Reply By: Member - Howard- Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 17:19

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 17:19
Benspoon,
I understand exactly what you are saying, have experienced the same thing with a shock I purchased as part of a HD kit thru 4wd systems in Adelaide. Dont know what brand the shocks were, but 35mm foam filled white ones made in USA.Supposedly long travel to match 3" suspension lift.
Fitted them new before a kimberly trip in 2002 where they worked a treat.
Easter 2003 get to end of Googs track and go to air up only to notice oil everywhere on rh rear shock. removed wheel to find shocker in 2 pieces with rod unthreaded from valve in bottom section as per your discription.No damage visible to shocks as I run a stone protector in front or rear shocks having previously experienced jammed valves due to rock dents.
Was actually able to get to thread back into valve and refit although no bloody good as lost oil.
going over all the rail xings between tarcoola and kingoonya it screwed apart again.Had to remove and drive next 2 days all thru Gawlers minus shocky.
Ended up cutting to Whyalla and getting cheap set of shocks on Easter tuesday to drive home to canberra.
Dont know if its a design fault or suspension mismatch but still gives you the **its
hope you can get things sorted out as far as replacements go.
regards
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 102534

Sponsored Links