Legalities of larger Tyres

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 14:23
ThreadID: 21209 Views:1965 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone go through the legal process of putting larger-than-stock tyres on a vehicle? I've got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that is in dire need of some tyre based testosterone! After looking around for info, I found that NSW, as well as most of the rest of AU mandates that tyres can legally be no larger or smaller than 15mm of the sizes listed on the placard. For my TJ, this means that a 235/75r15 is the max! This doesn't fill the wheelwell very much. I'm not talking a radical change and a lift kit, I'm just going for the 30-31 inch range. Just enough to look decent, while providing another inch of clearance. From my research, I've found that if you can get an engineering certificate for the vehicle, everything should be O.K. Is this correct? Anyone know of any signatories that issue these things?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (NSW) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 16:27

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 16:27
Call the RTA. Technical enquiries regarding Vehicle Regulations should be directed to 1300 137 302. These guys are very helpful and can give you a list of Engineers near you that can certify your car. (Shoudl cost about $200) They will explain the entire process to you. i.e. get engineers cert, take to RTA, get registration updated. Also, don't forget to notify your insurer of the change or they may disqualify a claim if you are in an accident...

AnswerID: 102377

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:33

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 18:33
Do check with your insurer first as some will cancel/and /or refuse your policy, you may also have to have speedo correction fitted.
AnswerID: 102396

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)