Auto retracting aerial on GU patrols

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 21:28
ThreadID: 21222 Views:2215 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Would anyone have replaced this type of aerial as fitted to the GU patrol as mine appears to have broken the inner flexible cable that operates it. If so how expensive was the replacement and what was involved in it's fitting. Thanking you for your responses.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:39

Monday, Mar 14, 2005 at 22:39
I replaced mine after I stupidly drove in amongst some trees with the radio on and bent the telescoping part of the aerial.
The new telescoping section with the associated/incorporated plastic rachet bit cost me about $80- last year. I was advised by a mate of mine who is a panel beater (and i thought he would have had to do this type of thing regularly as part of his job) that he always gets a sparky to do the installation as you only get one go at it and if you stuff up it's another aerial you'll be needing. I went to sparky he uses and $20- and about 5 minutes work got me back on the radio.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 102438

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:35

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:35
Thanks Roachie, I did mine on Sunday on the Border Track, and will hopefully get going again today, though the telescope is just jammed in at the moment and I can hear the news I want.
FollowupID: 360178

Follow Up By: Chris Larsen - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:20

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:20
Roachie
I would assume this would have been after the aerial was removed from the vehicle. If so can you give me some idea of what is involved in accessing the unit so this can be done. Also is this a part supplied by Nissan or from elsewhere.
Thanks again for your reply
Chris.
FollowupID: 360180

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:31

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:31
G'day Chris,
Yes, the part was sourced from my local Nissan dealer.
All the work was done from the outside of the vehicle at the top of the mudguard. There was no need to get up underneath the guard.
From memory, he unscrewed the fitting on the guard and the aerial just pulled straight out.
The secret seems to be in getting the insertion of the new unit timed just right. He got me to turn the radio on once he'd unscrewed the top fitting. He then pre-assembled the new aerial and fittings, inserted the racheted plastic "tail" into the hole and got me to turn the radio off. This retracted the aerial and (this is the tricky bit) he had to have the tail in just the right position so it would take up. Get it wrong and you'll strip the teeth on the rachet tail (or so I was told).
Of course, when doing this the switch on the left side of the dash should be set to "fully up" position.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 360188

Reply By: sevo - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:34

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:34
Gday Chris,
If it is only your mast that is broken quite easy to replace.Undo retaining cap, turn radio on and remove old mast cable( check cable and compare to new one that all cable has been removed). Insert new cable and turn radio off, move cable around till motor picks it up and starts drawing it in, may need several attempts. if it does not go all the way in put retaining cap on and turn radio on and off to reseat.
If part of old mast is still in motor it will have to be removed and motor dissasembled to remove cable.
cheers Steve
AnswerID: 102480

Sponsored Links