Camping safety

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2124 Views:1805 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
What is the situation regarding safety when camping in the outback and around. I would love to get right into camping and my family also love it but it always worries me that we may get attacked in the middle of the night!!! Mind you, I would never dream of ever camping by the road side in the middle of nowhere but by the same token, camping in these squeaky clean caravan/camping parks doesn't interest me. I prefer a more remote destination where there are no facilities except maybe a river. Can anyone tell me about the camping situation down around Mittagong, Womboyan caves etc. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle,
Check out Wollondilly River Station, (02) 4888 9207 on the way to Wombeyan caves, this is a good camp spot by the river and lots of space. There is pretty good camping at the caves itself also, its a rough road getting up there but worth it. I wouldn't worry to much about being attacked while camping I think your far more likely to get attacked in the city than out in the bush, I assume your refering to humans as there not much in the way of creatures that will attack at night or during the day for that matter. If your nervous of being alone camp at one of the more popular spots until you get confident. My wife and I go for the more remote camping and sometimes go for 2-3 days without seeing anyone, not had a problem yet in all our years in the bush. Always let others know where your going.

AnswerID: 7309

Follow Up By: Michelle - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks, I think your right in saying "until you get confident" as I do have a very concerned mum that ensures me that you just cannot go camping anywhere these days!!!! even though i'm now 40 and have a family of my own. God bless her.
FollowupID: 3352

Reply By: kezza - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

Ah the feeling of freedom!!!! My family has been doing just this for 3 generations and it is getting harder to do but there are plenty of places inland - harder to camp on the coast without being in a paying campground of some sort Safety to me now is to be either in a group of 2 families or be unseen. We sometimes camp by the road under the stars in western Qld and in the NT if the place and time is right. I sometimes use a 9 volt dick smith infrared sensor alarm or 2 to "patrol" 30 m radius of our campsite IF I feel the need (usually for dingos OR in more populated areas like fraser Is, Connondale ranges etc etc) Having a military background there are quite a few tricks I use to ensure I know who and what is around at night but honestly there are rarely times when we have ever been concerned for our safety - just enjoy the bush use common sense and trust your gut feelings - dont be discouraged by fear.
happy camping
Kezza
AnswerID: 7310

Follow Up By: Michelle - Thursday, Oct 10, 2002 at 00:00

You know what Kezza, your right. I was also in the army reserve for five years back in 1982 and back then didn't think anything of it. Used to shower using a cordial bottles worth of water and couldn't get any cleaner even on the coldest of night. All we had was a hoochie and a thin sleeping bag. The GP's would have the giggle hat put over them with an elastic band to stop any critters getting in. I suppose I had the safety of the officers "ha ha ha" but now it just my Steve, two little ones and myself. Thanks for the tips. You've brought back memorable memories, especially the cordial bottle. I do like the idea of the 9 volt dick smith infrared sensor alarm or 2.
Thanks
Michelle
FollowupID: 3353

Follow Up By: Kezza - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00
now your talking michelle, you know what I mean, "we" are very comfortable in the bush, its not YOU who needs to be concerned about your safety its the aggressor, remember never present yourself as a victim as an aggressor releshes the presence of a victim if they see you are aware, prepared and NOT a victim they will keep well clear and this applies to all dingos!!! LOL
kezza
FollowupID: 3354

Reply By: Melissa - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Michelle, I've been camping since I was knee high to a budgy. As a kid, my folks would aften pull off the road where we slept in a tent or in the car. But, that was over 30 yrs ago and things have changed...but not so much that you can't still get out there and enjoy the freedom of camping away from CVP's. My husband and I regularly camp with our son and the only problems we've ever had were in once in a CVP and once in a NP run campground. Both incidents stemmed from noisy patrons having had too much to drink. Harmless enough but still disturbing. After both incidents, we couldn't wait to get out in the bush on our own! We like to bush camp as much as possible and depending on where we are, only stay in CVP's once every 4 or 5 days to resupply, wash, shower and recharge batteries etc. We do have a couple of rules about bush camping though...Always pull well off the road and out of sight of passing motorists and never camp close to a town on a Fri or Sat night (just in case the local lads decide to have a bit of fun scaring the crap out of sleeping campers). But as advised earlier, stick to the more populated camping spots until you get confident enough to head out bush on you're own. NP's are a good compromise between CVP's and lone bush camping. Also, why not travel with another couple or family, even if it's someone you meet along the way. This way you can still enjoy the freedom of bush camping but have a bit of company for security. And often firm friendships start around a campfire. Get out there and enjoy yourselves! Melissa
AnswerID: 7314

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
I second and third that Melissa.
Regards
FollowupID: 3513

Reply By: Rod - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle, another option is if you have a 4x4 then consider joining a 4x4 Club that does camping and remote area travelling. You'll find that members are only to pleased to help.
AnswerID: 7328

Follow Up By: Michelle - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Yes we do have a 4x4 Rod. I didn't know that there were clubs that did any sort of camping trips. Thanks for that. Now all I have to do is to find a local club. I would love to get involved in one. Michelle
FollowupID: 3357

Sponsored Links