2H PCV valve

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 14:49
ThreadID: 21241 Views:5543 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if the 2H runs a PCV valve. The hose from the tappet cover to the inlet side of the Turbo does not appear to have one. The reason I'm asking is that I'm sucking oil into the Turbo from the rocker cover. Is there some way of stopping this. (probably some of this is blowbye).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 18:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 18:25
they normally don't have one just a hose from one to the other.
On the standard engine it goes uphill to the inlet to help stop it.
If you have excessive blowby you have two choices, pull the engine down and fix it or plug the hole in the inlet and let the hose from the rocker cover just hang down the side of the engine and vent to atmosphere.
If it is still connected as at present and the blowby is really bad you may find that you are unable to stop the engine in an extreme situation as it will run on the oil being sucked in from the crankcase.
Another symptom is that when you lift off going down a steep hill the engine may reach a point in the rev range where it will accelerate rather than hold back on compression.
AnswerID: 102545

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:25
blow by is normal for a donk with a few ks on it, check out ny 1hz with a couple of ks on it it will probably be leaking oil from from around the inlet manifold gasket due to blow by. the situation you are talking about is caused by overfilling the motor with oil (15+ litres) - the pressure causes oil to enter via the pcv and make it rev harder causing more pressure etc etc ( I spent 2 hrs in a refuge chamber undergroungd due to a D%^$ head engineer doing just that) Also if filling a 2h too fast during an oil change the rocker cover fills up with oil entering the compression chamber through the pcv locking the motor (personell ex)
FollowupID: 360295

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:47

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:47
The engine has only done 244,000 k's and is fitted with a Garrett T3 Turbo (AIT) with the hose going uphill to the inlet side ( about 2" ). It uses virtually no oil & starts first time even if left for a month. Have noticed that there is small amount of oil leaking from the Turbo itself after it has been sucked into it. If you take off the inlet side there is oil in the hose. It appears to me that the Turbo Boost combined with the misting of oil is the culprit, so I may have to put in one of those inline canisters or probably put a loop in the PCV hose.
FollowupID: 360308

Reply By: awill4x4 - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:59

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 20:59
Shane, run an "oil breather tank" beween the rocker cover and the turbo inlet. The oil breather tank allows the oil mist to condense in the tank, the condensed oil drops to the bottom of the tank and the tank is then vented at the top back to the inlet side of the turbo. The oil crud can be monitored in the tank and when it's too full can be disposed of. Most doof doof ricers run them on their turbo petrol cars to solve exactly the same problem.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 102577

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:03
2H is normally aspirated. Do you have an aftermarket turbo?

12H-T is factory turbo and commonly has oil travel the blowby pipe. I had the same problem with a HJ61, and bent the pipe up a bit so the oil had to travel uphill. Seemed to help. The rocker cover has a rubber gasket inside the top section which deteriorates with time.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 102591

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:25

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:25
Yes it does have a aftermarket Turbo.
FollowupID: 360304

Sponsored Links