Alcahol and the cape

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:51
ThreadID: 21253 Views:1744 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Ok we are planning a trip to cape york soon and was wondering how strict are they gunna be about the limit of alcahol and what we can expect when we get there. We know there's a restriction of 24 midstrenth beers (which only tease the pallet) and 2 litres of unfortified wine (which you use to cook with) but can we expect THOROUGH vehicle searches once we cross the jardine and when can we expect to be questioned about it. Our group is hoping to stay in the area for 2 weeks and a ration of 24 cans of weak beer just won't cut the trip. We are only social drinkers but would dearly like to have more than a midstrength to celebrate the trip to the cape which has been in the planning for a number of years. Answers to our dilemma would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers..Dodgy

Keep the whistle wet and the powder dry.. ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:01

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:01
Dodgy

YES you can expect a full body search + the bag ... if you're unlucky. The boys in blue are fairly red hot ... if you're unlucky.

South of the Jardine not so bad ... if you're lucky.

Get my drift ... ?

Cheers
AnswerID: 102604

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 00:05

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 00:05
Hi Dodgy

It's monitored and we only took in the required amount.
Also expect to pay $48 (last July's prices) for a carton of 24 XXXX Gold cans at the Bamaga canteen, that only opens at certain hours during the day.
Hubby got breath tested (no problems.....lol....we all laughed about it, it was quite early in the morning) and asked if we were carrying grog on the way out of Bamaga.
We were with just a dozen beers from the slab we bought and they accepted that.
Hope this helps and enjoy the trip, you won't be disappointed.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)

AnswerID: 102618

Follow Up By: Dodgy - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:34

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:34
Tks Tripp'n. It's gunna be our first realistic trip to the extreme but seems we are being penalised for stuff we haven't done yet.. i don't plan to be a grog smuggler but i don't see why i have to go without my heavy beer or rum for that matter. it's not not like we plan to take a truck load of alchaol but enough to see us through 2 weeks of isolation.
We can buy it at Barmaga for $48 a carton but why can't we cart it with us? Seems pretty unfair to me. Anyway tks for the feedback. It's been appreciated.. Cheers.. Dodgy..;-)
Keep the whistle wet and the powder dry..
FollowupID: 360359

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:16

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:16
You can take it with you as much as you want but dont take more than the law says past the Jardine. Simple.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 360368

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:19

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 20:19
Hi Dodgy

Below in the stars is an insert of a post that I did last year when we got back from the top.
Also I neglected to mention at that time the traditional people have very little hope of saving this generation of kids & adults but are hoping that the next generations will benifiet from what they are doing.
As for them selling of it.....go figure....but I suppose this way they too at the canteen can monitor who is buying grog and how often.

******Yeah, we too were annoyed at first when we found out about the restrictions on here just before we left for the Cape. But it's the minority that decides for the majority so until that changes we have no hope. For us personally we did notice a difference in Bamaga & Seisia "for the better" this time, less people on the streets looking hung over and more activity in the way of people working. We know from a "local" (he is white and is on some type of community council there) with whom we had a good indepth conversation with. He said that the women and kids are much happier with the restrictions, less violence and rapes. He also pointed out that if tourist were exempt then it puts them in danger of maybe getting their heads bashed in for their grog, something we never thought of. So, if that is what it is all about then we should support them. But like everything, there is a way to beat the restrictions and I'm sure some of them are doing it. We also heard in Weipa that Aurukun is not happy about their "dry" area situation and are looking into changing it. Should be interestiong to see how that progresses.******

A few weeks later after I posted the above I saw a story on a well known TV show that the tradional people were getting around the restrictions, so I wonder if they have clamped down on that by now?
I had mentioned this to the "white person" that we spoke to and he said then that he didn't think they would.
As the saying goes where there is a will, there is a way.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
FollowupID: 360369

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:38

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:38
Dodgy
The law is as you stated pretty simple I think.
But I supose if you are that desperate to have a stronger drinks the up to $75,000 fine will help QLD funding.
Just enjoy the place and respect the law that way its simple then head home and you can catch up with your alcahol you missed out in 14 days of a year. Just think you only have 365 days in the year to drink what you want you should have planed it better.

Good luck
All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 102628

Reply By: tessa_51 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:21

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:21
When in Rome .......
When in Bali ..........
When In Queensland .........

tessa
AnswerID: 102633

Follow Up By: Dodgy - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:39

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 19:39
2 states to be in Tessa.. qld and pyssed..LOL
FollowupID: 360361

Reply By: Dodgy - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:32

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 07:32
Tks again for the responses and tks to tripp'n. You made me see the restrictions in a different light.. I never gave much thought to the long term effects of these restrictions to the future generations of indegenous folks up there. I guess when i get back you'll see a new Dodgy on here.. a new man all withered and wrinkled from 2 weeks of dehydration.. LOL. Tks again for the feedback.. Cheers.. Dodgy.

AnswerID: 102749

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 18:23

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 18:23
Hey Dodgy, do you have a brother? :-)
FollowupID: 360474

Reply By: Dodgy - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:56

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 06:56
Yup i do have a brother but he's not on the net not into 4X4's. He go's by the nick name D**khead and he's in victoria.. I'm only Dodgy by name and not by nature..LOL.. Cheers Dodgy.. ;-)
AnswerID: 102861

Sponsored Links