warn winch wonder

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 21:54
ThreadID: 21254 Views:4571 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody, just finished pulling apart my warn winch to clean , regrease, check over. just discovered that the bearings that they use in these units are made in korea. Or no i here you say, Not the you beut warn with cheap korean bearings. mmmm maybe the rest of the unit is made in korea as well,... who knows. But maybe. makes those chinese winches maybe not look so bad after all..... mines a m9000 3 year old never been apart before...cool ha ...i'mbleep...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:37
Brenn, what amazed me when I stripped one, was the fact that there is NO bearings supporting the drum!!!!!!
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 102597

Follow Up By: brenn dog - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:50

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:50
I can not believe that there is bugger all sealing in them.i just dont know how they get the name they've got . made pretty bad i think . could be because it's yankee.....
FollowupID: 360289

Reply By: Jarrod - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:15

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:15
Hey brenn dog, I just took the 12,000lb WARN off the front of my 100. not worth the maintenance or weight. Im developing something new in the recovery field and if it works, I'll share my secrets with everyone for free...

stay tuned,

Jarrod.
AnswerID: 102609

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:24

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 23:24
A teleportation beam me up scotty type machine would go down well :)
FollowupID: 360294

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:18

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:18
Or a couple of Harrier Jumpjet engines for an uplifting extraction out of the mud lol
FollowupID: 360300

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:17

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:17
A few things:

a/ Where do you think most of the bearings found anywhere else in your fourbie were made? Or many of the ones sold daily in bearing joints all over the country? Why is it you assume that they are inferior quality? Obviously they aren't or there would be many seized gearboxes, winches, transfer cases, wheel bearings on fourbies and trailers etc. dotted all over the high country and the simpson.

b/ If the lack of bearing support on the drum is such an issue why are there so many out there still working like the day they were bought, and why are there so many copies of this style of winch by so many other companies?

I would have said that supporting the drum on bearings would have placed maximum loads on a very low surface area (the load is only taken on the round surface of the bearing on the casing much like the tyre is only touching the road for a very small percentage of the tread) and that a bush that has contact at reducing loads for half of its surface area and is only turning at low rpm for a short time is a much more appropriate system. Though a mechanical engineer may be able to confirm or refute this.

c/ Hope you used liquid grease in the planetry gear box - otherwise you will work your butt off dragging cable off the drum in free spool. See link below on rebuilding warn winches.

d/ Hope you reassembled the drum brake properly and tensioned it correctly as if you ever have rely on it and it's wrong it could kill you. Even the two ARB dealers I rang who said they would service my winch couldn't tell me how to tension the winch drum brake.

See link to Warn service on this page under Other Projects

I agree on the sealing issue but given the the drain holes on the motor flange are open to air to allow water to drain at some orientations what would be the point?

There's a lot more to these things than first inspection may reveal. How much thought did you give it before you typed your critique?

Hope you find the service document usefull, I did. Thanks to SG Leslie & Sons in Heidelberg Melbourne for their unselfish help (they could have just said send it down and we'll fix it for a price but they didn't) and offer of support if the task was too onerous.

There are bigger issues with this type of winch such as motor brush earthing that cause more failures than bearings.

Dave
AnswerID: 102626

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:56

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:56
Brilliant site!...you did a fantastic job on the tilting fridge and roller drawers, I want a set myself. but I'm not sure even with all the info I could get them to that standard. Going back to read up on the winch rebuild this time, I was too caught up in reading about the other projects I forgot that's why I went there in the first place.
FollowupID: 360334

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty(VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 14:21

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 14:21
Geocacher

I agree with Gajm good site. I'm a little ignorant though.
I don't 4wd, I bus. lol.
But I cant see the reason to have the fridge slide in the back seat. Obviously it is secure while driving I see that. But I can't understand the reason one would need it to slide. (I'm not starting something here). Im not. I just wouldnt mind an answer, to learn.

Like Gajm, Im going back now too.

iMusty
FollowupID: 360336

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 15:25

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 15:25
Hi iMusty,

It's in the back seat replacement because the Navara it's in doesn't have a canopy so it's not secure from thieves in the tray. It's in the seat replacement in an attempt to stop it killing anyone in the vehicle in an accident once the turnbuckles lock it down.

Considering a full tissue box or street directory on the parcel shelf of a sedan will kill you if it hits the back of your head coming to a sudden stop (ie. frontal collision) at 60kmh, imagine what a 40 litre Engel will do if it's just sitting on the back seat the way some people do it.

Brian who owns the Navara and I are both Paramedics so we tend to be a bit more cautious about some of these things.

It doesn't slide in this setup. It doesn't need to. You can stand next to it and lift the lid.

Regards

Dave
FollowupID: 360341

Sponsored Links