Antenna Location

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 17:46
ThreadID: 21269 Views:1986 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
From a performance point of view where is the best location to site a tapped HF antenna - front on the alloy BB on mounted from a rear Kaymar wheel carrier.

The HF unit is a free standing local control unit.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 17:57

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 17:57
My old Tracker Scout, with a Lencom tapped antenna (1.8m), always ran exceptionally well off the bullbar. I did move it to a rear spare wheel mount at one stage and it was just as good there. I should imagine that roof centre, with a very good ground connection would be the best, but that's impractical with taps - too heavy - too high - too awkward to get to. The tapped antenna system is so efficient it seems (compared to thecompromisedauto-tunes) that you'll boom out from any location on the vehicle in my view (if the radio and antenna are in good nick). At least you can see it at the front - a good tap is quite expensive to repair or replace if smashed on a tree.
AnswerID: 102678

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:30
Grumpy, the most effecient place is on the bullbar. But thats not the whole story. Although up to 9 db difference has been measured between the front and back at times, it also depends upon the frequency. Basically you won't notice that much difference.
Yes you can see it on the front, but will your insurance company cover you if a human emu jumps in front ? Not sure if current road regs allow a whip at front, I know autotunes have to be at the back. (policing of this is different in different places).
AnswerID: 102711

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:59
GB,

From my experience, bullbar is best, considering you need to change the tap cable regularly. And as already mentioned, it is handy to be able to "see" the aerial. Lot of loot to damage on a low hanging gidgea branch.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 102718

Sponsored Links