how to protect radiator from seeds and insects

Submitted: Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2128 Views:6139 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
new pajero owner . how can i protect the radiator from insects and seeds. had disco and had a screen fitted to bull bar in front of radiator . have heard that some use an insect screen over grill . wht do you do . regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00
peter, i've had experience with diesel pajero and if yours is diesel my advise is not to put up the insect screen as when it clogs the mitsos don't like hot air - if its petrol i've got no idea - tim
AnswerID: 7330

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

Peter, Think a lot depends on what insects and type of grasses encountered, spinifex is going to block everything up, whereas likes of Mitchell grass would be stopped by any decent screen. if you were doing a trip like the Canning, then I'd opt for screens on both b/bar and grille. A lot of insects dry out rapidly, and can often be brushed off with a gloved hand, or firm brush. Locusts, being bigger, leave plenty of body and guts behind, reducing airflow. The use of Shadecloth for screens is a no-no, it has too fine a weave, and lets very little air through. Not good for aircons or intercoolers. Don't know about pajero's, but Toyota make good screens for grille, let very little rubbish through. Doesn't affect cooling either, it's been 42' here this week, and tojo's run at normal. A cheap way to do it is to use plastic/fibreglass insect screen from hardware, available in black, so matches any body colour. If it doesn't rain soon, then grass seeds won't be a worry for the next year or two. Catch you later.....
AnswerID: 7332

Reply By: PETER - Friday, Oct 11, 2002 at 00:00

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO - MY PAJERO IS DEISEL so seems no screen is available regards peter
AnswerID: 7333

Reply By: mudgutz - Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
i got some of that new stainless security mesh from a local security door maker......good size holes doesnt clog to easily and lends itself to being put in a frame and mounting on the bullbar......also i hope it will last forever.........protects my driving lights as well as its tough as nails
AnswerID: 7359

Sponsored Links