Troopie electrical issues

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 13:58
ThreadID: 21321 Views:2247 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 11 yr Troopcarrier hzj 75 diesel with 2 electrical faults.
The tacho will work accurately only ocasionally, most times it just sits on zero. Is this a common fault that can be fixed easily? I've checked behind the intrument panel for loose conections and found nothing obvious. Is there something I can check on the engine? Is there a sender unit somewhere?
2nd fault is with the heater fan, the lower 2 speeds have failed. does anyone know what is exactly wrong and how it can be fixed?

Thanks
John WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:55

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:55
John, I can only offer general advice not specific. I'm sure that someone will know more...but in the meantime,
Tacho, have a peek at the alternator. There's a sender unit there somewhere I seem to remember.
Fan unit, the motor is iside the dash on passengers side. I think it has resistors on it that are switched for the speeds. A couple may need replacing or the wires have come off.
Hope this helps a tad. Good luck with it all.
AnswerID: 102923

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:27

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 15:27
John

Tacho, pretty sure it will the connection via alternator.
Fan speed, common fault, although I am electrically retarded, I think new switch, of which Mr Tojo will love to take lots of money off you for sure!

Cheers
AnswerID: 102925

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:52

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 22:52
John.
The tacho is connected to a terminal marked "n" on the alternator, the fan switch is typical toyota tin plated steel contacts, you can spray some pentrating oil into the switch and if that makes it work after you have switched it a few times you have your answer. Eric.
AnswerID: 103003

Reply By: Big Woody - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:06

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:06
Your Tacho can play up simply with a faulty ignition switch so don't dig too deep if you don't have to.
Usually once the resistors start to go in your fan switch they will all go except forthe fast speed as it has no resistor in line. Easier just to replace the whole switch.
Hope this helps,

Brett
AnswerID: 103011

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59
I don't know about the HZJ troopie but in the HJ the fan resistors are actually in the airduct. It took me ages to find them, its a little removable plate on the duct, down under the glove box, next to the A/C evaporator box.
If your troopie has the same setup you need to replace this resistor assembly ( I managed to repair mine and its still working some 10 years later :-) What sometimes happens is that gunk gets caught in the fine resistor wires and prevents the air from cooling them so they burn out. A good idea to clean them from time to time.

BTW, the HJ troopie has the tacho sender at the flywheel, this played up once when I drove through salt water but it was fixed by cleaning out the connector there.
Klaus
FollowupID: 360633

Reply By: John - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:41

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 00:41
Thanks guys for all the Tips - keep them coming for the heater fan

I cleaned the connector block at the back of the alternator this afternoon and got the tacho working - thanks all
I'lll have a go at the fan problem tommorow

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 103030

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:32

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 17:32
For your fan problems, it will almost certainly be the resistor as posted by previous members. I've had a couple go on different cars, they are all located within the air ducting and are cooled by the the passing airstream usually behind a glovebox.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 103095

Sponsored Links