Cheap Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope and Aluminium Hawse

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 21361 Views:7531 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
...Not going to enter any debate over the pros and cons of synthetic winch rope - as I made my decision and am happy with it - however the following 'heads up' might be of interest to someone....

I just got some good pricing on some synthetic rope.....

I have just received 100 foot of 5/16 inch (about 30 mtrs by 8mm) Amsteel Blue synthetic winch rope and an aluminium hawse that suits ARB bars with 'feet forward' winch mounts from the USA for an all up shipped cost of A$309. Very Happy

The equivalent cost here for Dynamica or Bronze rope or any other variety is around the $400 to $420 for the same spec rope, and then about $150 for the aluminium hawse.

All in all a saving of at a minimum A$240

If you are considering going down the synthetic winch rope route then check our Oklahoma Offroad at http://www.okoffroad.com They are excellent to deal with, ship regularly to Australia - order was received in under a week.

Also some good info on the rope can be found here:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

......although rockstomper do not deliver international.

BTW, the rope was US$150, the hawse US$49 and the rest was shipping by UPS.

BTW, I now have a brand new 30 mtr x 8mm winch cable and new roller fairlead for sale if anyone in Melbourne needs them.......

Hopefully the above can assist someone considering rope for their winch :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrick - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 16:57
Moggs,

My only question here is when does a Pathy need to use a winch anyway. It must be for looks as my old Pathy wnet to more places that most and it it could not make it I felt that I should not have been there anyway.

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 103164

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:05

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:05
It for pulling Toyotas out, obviously.
FollowupID: 360761

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:09

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:09
LOL Yeah right...looks :?

IMHO it's not the problem of if you can't make it then you shouldn't be there - the problem is if you are already there and can't get back out :)

I have used a handwinch a couple of times - which is a couple too many, and with a trailer and young kids on board, anything that can help me get out of trouble quicker is worth it to me.

Winch was also fitted re: club trips with other Pathys - can't hurt to have a lecky winch amongst us.

The Airlockers are going in next, then hopefully it won't be required all that much :)

I now have the Pathy to a point where it is quite a capable vehicle (which it is stock standard IMHO) and with the winch and lockers will be more than happy to line it up against all comers ( lol ie. the Pathy Bagging Brigade)
FollowupID: 360763

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:41

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:41
Hey Moggs,

Just pulling your leg.....pardon the pun

Good to see that you are able to help those troubleson Toyota owners amoungst us.

The sad thing is that you Pathy will reach an age and Klms soon that you will have to update to sometihing else, which is very dissapointing to undertake as I did last year. All this effort will be lost to some other poor bugger who more than likely dosn't know how to use what he's bought.

Went the Patrol 3.0L TD and have not regreted it once.

Happy trails,

Patrick
FollowupID: 360768

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:52

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:52
Patrick, my 99 Pathy has only done 80,000kms. I recently went through the process of seeking a trade in on a new 4.2Ltr Patrol. I was sickened by how much they were offering me and made the decision to stick with the Pathy for at least another 3 years - or as long as it is reliable. It is a good daily driver for me and also performs well offroad. I cannot see why it will not do another 50,000kms without a problem. It is meticulously maintained mechanically, has new suspension throughout, serviced at intervals shorter than log book etc.

That is why I recently put the winch on and will be doing the lockers soon - as I will be keeping it for a while.

As for trade ins. As I use it extensively offroad the body is showing it. I have decided to keep it for as long as it is reliable and am not too fussed about the trade-in value down the track.

What concerned me a few months ago is that there is currently nothing wrong or unreliable about the Pathy - and I really had no reason to sell it for less than what it is worth in both $$ and sentimental value to me.

As far as the accessory's go when I do change vehicles, the winch, UHF, CB, remote speaker, fridge slide, GPS, Redarc, spotties, electronic brake unit, PC wiring, inverter etc will all be going to the new veicle. This will leave me with a Sahara bar, custom Pathy roof rack and cargo barrier to sell separately - and it shouldn't be too hard to find a Pathy owner needing these at a realistic 2nd hand price.
FollowupID: 360773

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:54

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 17:54
....oh yeah...the lockers will also be removed and sold separately.
FollowupID: 360774

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 18:23

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 18:23
I know what you mean by trade in offers. Last year I went looking for prices on my 2000 TI and was met with a wall of b/s. The best price I was offered was $22K for a vehicle with 76klms on the clock and most things on it, new suspension and alike which offended me greatly. The only reason I was getting rid of it was that the time had come for it to be a real tax deduction. I even offered my wife a WRX so I could write that off and keep the Pathy for a few more years. But SHMBO had other ideas to keep her Pulsar SSS...oh well along came the Patrol. I finally sold it to a bloke only a suburb away for $28,500 who had been looking for six months for the Pathy of his dreams...and of course her found it.

As you said with proper TLC your Pathy should easier last out anothe60-70,000 K's before there is a need to replace it. I don't go much on the new American shape anyway.

Cheers,

Patrick

FollowupID: 360776

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 19:37

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 19:37
...you did well on the sale. Hopefully my Pathy will last, if not, then I'll be in a Patrol like a lot of ex Pathy owners :)

BTW, you got offered about 7.5k more on your trade in than what I did.

I also do not like the new shape Pathy - but I'll take either the new donks in my Pathy please :) - if all the Nissans and Toyotas go that way re: shape I may just end up in a Defender down the track.
FollowupID: 360782

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 20:30

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 20:30
So I suppose my next question is, what happens to the 'Pathfinders' Club of Australia Inc' if all the members go to Patrols????

Interesting........................

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 360786

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 20:36

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 20:36
LOL, funny you should mention that - our President and co-club founder is currently in the market for a Patrol and 2 of the other Committee members own non-nissan vehicles (Pajero & 80 series).
FollowupID: 360788

Reply By: brenn dog - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 19:46

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 19:46
Hi moggs, just read your forum article, sounds like you got a great deal , you said in your article that you were selling your current winch cable , i would be very interested in it . i'm in the eastern subs of melb. just send me an email on kbillman@bigpond.com . thanks justin..
AnswerID: 103179

Sponsored Links