high-output alternator for FJ62

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2137 Views:5024 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm going to be running 600W of lighting on the front end of my 1986 FJ62 LandCruiser and want to find a high-output alternator (at least 110A) to suit, preferably something that has the same plug connector. Can anyone advise on a model number?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Plexus.
The nipon denso alternator on your cruiser can run the 50 amps you will need to run your lights. The mounting bracket as well as the plug would have to be changed to take a truck alternator if you realy must have 110 amps delco make a compact unit that may fit in the space. cost $2200.
Eric.
AnswerID: 7414

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
$2200?!? Ouch, no way: thanks, but I've found a nice way to do it. Bosch make a universal 120A alternator which I've picked up brand new for $200 (trade price - I design electronics so I can get away with it). Throw the body away (my alternator has two bottom mounting flanges, the Bosch unit has one fat one) and use a body from say a late-model Ford one to get around the lower mount problem, change the rectifier assembly for an early one to get around the differences in the post mounting points, whack the pulley from my old ND alternator on, and presto! For a grand total of just $250 I have a brand spanking new 120A charging system. I'm fitting a second battery and knocking up a MOSFET controller to charge it. Running all my lighting will definitely kill the existing 50A unit I have (actually, I thought it was only 30-40A, but even 50A is asthmatic). Even now, with 400W of forward lighting and 100W of rear, plus the 100W hand-held spotlight out the side window, the current (pardon the pun) charging system just doesn't cut it. You can watch the battery voltage drop like the resale value of a Range Rover (whoops, did *I* say that?). When the forward lighting goes to 600W next week, it would need an extra 10 hamsters running on treadmills to power it up.
FollowupID: 3395

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
Plexus.
You have good connections[ pardon the pun]. you may find the bosh unit has 8 diodes so the early diodes wont work and the old fan belt may be strugling but you are obviosly a light freak or you have bad sight so good luck. If it works I could use some of you units on rally cars.
Eric.
AnswerID: 7471

Follow Up By: Plexus - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Yes, I know the Bosch has 8. We added a couple of extra diodes before fitting it all together to make the new rectifier plate "proper", so no problem. We used a housing to suit late model Mitsubishi Sigmas - only needed to take some thickness off the LandCruiser's original mounting plate with the angle grinder; then it bolted straight in. Only niggly I found after installing it tonight was that it needs one quick push on the throttle to take it to around 1700 RPM once you've started the engine to kick in the charge relay - after that, it holds and it's fine. Obviously the shaft speed is too slow at the 650RPM idle, so tomorrow we're going to get a much smaller pulley and put that on, to get the alternator spinning faster. To get around the problem of the FJ's relatively wide drive belt, we're going to use a split pulley, and make up the width by packing internal washers between the halves.
FollowupID: 3425

Follow Up By: Plexus - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
OK here's our final configuration:
ended up using the body from a Nissan Pulsar (late model 1988-1992) and changed the regulator to the Bosch RE60 unit. Light never goes on (it did before) so low-speed performance is great. Charges almost at the low 650RPM idle. Increase the engine speed to 800 RPM and it charges right up, even with 700W of lighting going. We measured 13.7 volts at this point - great!
FollowupID: 3475

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
Plexus.
I have been concerned at the durability of your set up, the diodes are the weak link. The diodes in the sigma or pulsa will not handle the temperatures of the modern bosch unit. Can you make the bosch unit in its original form fit the vehicle. If not take the ND unit with you if you go more than walking distance from home.
Eric.
AnswerID: 7622

Follow Up By: Plexus - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
No, the *housing* is from a late model Pulsar. That's all. The rectifier is the original one that came with the Bosch. It's passed the test: we came home from Stockton Beach at 1am this morning and the system had no problem in keeping up with a grand total of 1000W of lighting.
FollowupID: 3531

Sponsored Links