toyota recovery points

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:39
ThreadID: 21416 Views:2297 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
western 4wd claimed to have tested 2 toyota recovey points although no mention was given to methodology. They claimed they both failed at around 8t although from what I saw it apeared they were only conected from the rear (weaker) bolt hole as there was no damage to the front bolt hole there didnt apear to be any deformation of the actual loop. I will certainly continue to use these loops as they seem to have been up to any recovey I have seen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:35

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:35
This was discussed at our TLCCSA club meeting last night, and I believe refers to the 80series tiedowns. We were told they broke through the rear bolt at 8 tonne. Given the straps we use are rated at a miniumum of 8T, we will not use them for snatch recovery.
AnswerID: 103405

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:53

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:53
Hi Phill:

Would there be any change to this thinking if the tie downs were attached with high tensile bolts, as I have already done? This was offered to me as a recommendation recently when I was searching for an answer as to where to locate a recovery hook on my 1991 80 Series Cruiser.

My alternative is to hook up a rated chain around the chassis and run the chain to the front then use a shackle to attach the snatch strap (or chain).

Thanks
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360944

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:22

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:22
Hi Jack,

I only know what I was told last night, but it sounded like the bolt was OK, but the plate ripped out. We all expected that it would break at the welds, but wasn't so.

Obviously the problem is that the chassis mounts have a 50mm spacing instead of the 35mm spacing for the common rated aftermarket hooks. Theres a few alternatives for the recovery points -

Some of the 100series now come with chassis mounted hooks with the 50mm spacing - you might be able to source one or two of these, and bolt them on to your 80series with H/T bolts.

I have seen a very thick piece of angle iron used as an adaptor for mounting a rated hook - thats the favourite technique suggested by a local 4wd shop. On the 100series, you can actually pick up 3 captured nuts in the chassis and use 12x1.25 H/T bolts.

Finally, I believe CMI Toyota in Adelaide have had rated recovery points engineered for the 100 and 120 series - not sure about the 80series.

My own personal view (opinion) is that I'd be happy to use the standard points with a bridle for towing and an easy snatch. Anything harder, and I'd be looking for a winch.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 360961

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:04

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:04
yep they failed at the rear bolt but what about the front bolt - no damage whatsoever so what happened there? i suspect it was only bolted on by the one point and unfortunately with no referance to any testing criteria it was really a waste of an article
FollowupID: 360978

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:23

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 14:23
Where can I source details on this as I'd like to bring it up at our next club meeting?
Who or what is "western 4WD"?
AnswerID: 103430

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:07

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:07
western 4wd is a quartely publication for those in the west. It has excellent trip notes for treks you wont find in the national publications. But as per my coment above with no testing methodology mentioned it proves little I suspect it was only bolted down using one bolt for the test
FollowupID: 360979

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:06

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 15:06
What sort of vehicle was tested?
Sounds like they were testing Tie down points.
I thought recovery points were bolted on with High Tensil bolts?

Where can we find the details of this test?

AnswerID: 103436

Sponsored Links