Victorian High Country Trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 17:31
ThreadID: 21432 Views:2054 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Last week was the Overlander Readers trip to the Vic High Country. 7 days of perfect weather.

9 vehicles took part, 3 from Quensland, 1 from Victoria and the rest from N.S.W. We also had a film crew who are doing a story on The Vic High Country for the Channel 10 program Bright Ideas. Not sure when it goes to air but I belive it will be soon.

Craigs Hut has a Mc Donalds and Pizza Hut now and they are doing a great trade.

Just kidding but there has been a lot of work done around the hut. A path has been put in to the new fence around the hut and new paths in side the fence. This is to allow wheel chair acess. A big shelter has been put up near the car park with BBQ's to be installed later.

The work has changed the apperance of the hut but after all it is only a film set and because of being a film set hut it is probably the best known.

Lovicks Hut has been pulled down now but I do think that they will rebuild soon.

The track up Billy Goat Bluff was graded and road base laid down. I saw this when I was down there last November. The track was easy then but now the road base is starting to break up with a few holes and ruts starting to appear. Still a good trip up to the Pinnacle Lookout.

The only vehicle problem that we had was on the last day on top of Blue Rag. One of the Qld. vehicles, a Troopie, had broken a front spring hanger.
On one side of the spring hanger, the middle bit had gone and on the other side, which had the pins attached, had snaped in two and the bottom pin had worn the hole it went through into a slot.The spring was rubbing on the chassis with no side way support.

After a lot of talking we decided to make a new spring hanger with what we had left off the old spring hanger plus some steel off cuts that I had and a bit of bush welding.

On top of Blue Rag would have to be the workshop with a view but a hour and half later a new/ second hand spring hanger was fitted and we were on our way again.
The drop from the Trig point is about the steepest that you will get on this track so it was a tense moment while the Troopie made it's way down the first drop and the spring hanger checked, so far so good. A few more checks on the way and then we had to say goodbye.
Another spring hanger was to be installed as soon as possible but I don't know how he got on as I have been away for the past week.

Jonh Denman, from Overlander, took some photos and is doing a story so this should be in the mag about May

Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:02

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:02
Lucky duck - love that trip Wayne. Good to hear you've good weather.
AnswerID: 103460

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:22

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:22
Wayne,

Love the write up....the bit about the first drop down from the trig brought back memories....I slipped out of first gear low range in a section near the top in the wet and boy did I jam that puppy back in quick smart....but not before we nearly lost the whole rig off the edge.

Lots of S*** and G*** and a bourbon at the bottom to get the heart down to a suitable pace.

LOL.

Great view though.

Stuart M.
AnswerID: 103464

Reply By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:51
Man I love the High country

Look forward to the read and the tv version. If you find out in advance when its gonna be shown on tv..let us know ok.
Cheers Ange
AnswerID: 103480

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:52

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:52
Years ago there was a track which heads off the Blue Rag Tk. a couple of kms past the trig, it runs west to the Wongungarra river, this was very steep and gnarly, don't know if it is still trafficable or not? The last section to the river is as steep as the trig. Did you venture down there?
AnswerID: 103553

Sponsored Links