Tyres and FORD Territories

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:30
ThreadID: 21436 Views:4777 Replies:8 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
The first two FORD Territories have arrived in Birdsville. One of them will be staying until the next truck comes in and brings some tyres. It seems the Territory has tyres which are not easy to get (in the outback anyway). Also, how many times must people say - always carry two spares in the outback. These people now are unable to finish their trip because losing 4 -5 days here waiting on tyres means they must go straight back to work. Check and re-check before you leave home - and always carry two spares.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:38

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:38
Bugger!!

Now, if owner #1, could give owner #2, a spare, nah..... silly idea.....

So, tell me Ruth, where were they heading for?

Wolfie
AnswerID: 103467

Reply By: allaussie - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:45

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:45
ford territory awd not 4wd hahahahahahahahahahahah must be from the city yeah how stupid are some people ???"???????? After towing one off the beach at brible these CARS are not built for the offroad what a laugh
AnswerID: 103470

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:07

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:07
Don't get upset, I can't afford one either.
FollowupID: 361006

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:49

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 19:49
Ah.....sage advice Ruth ! ......but where can newbies to the outback buy such advice ? Bet those tyres were the classic "town-tyres" that a lot of cars come with....great ride, but the shoulder is as thick as a corn flake packet, and the sidewall not much better. I'm thankful that I could ride on a colleagues experience before I went bush - saved me the same fate I'm sure !
AnswerID: 103473

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:34

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:34
Got two flats in that area, one destroyed a tyre. Both around Birdsville and Bedourie. Had to buy a very expensive new tyre. Both flats were nails which I was sure someone was dropping all over the bush :))
Couple of years ago I had 5 flats in 5 weeks around my town. For some reason ,worn tyres seem to pick up more stuff that punctures em than new tyres.
Moral of story is take two spares BUT make sure all your tyres are in good nick before you go.
FollowupID: 361008

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:56

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 20:56
The one with the broken tyre was hoping to go to Marree and Oodanadatta etc. but they are feeling a bit sad because they bought this vehicle believing all the ads and that it would take them anywhere. They are not inexperienced people either. The other vehicle is also travelling with only one spare - but we see so much of that. The broken trye is not the only thing wrong with their vehicle which has done 35,000 - the cruise control had to be fixed and the fridge plug in the boot gave up as well( but so did my LC100 first time I used it).
AnswerID: 103485

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:04

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:04
I was lucky. I trashed two tyres on the way into Boidsville 2 yrs ago and limped into town spareless. Luckily I was able to pick up a set of 4 BFG ATs at the friendly tyre outlet. That was 60,000 km ago and they are barely half worn. Best tyres I've ever had. By comparison, the original Dunlop Grandtreks lasted 20,000 km. The car turns six in July and has 210,000 on the clock.
BTW I reckon the Territory is going to be seen a lot more in out-of-the-way places. Replace the tyres, tart up the suspension and you've got an Aussie classic. No more excuses for putting up with inferior, over-priced Japcrap.
AnswerID: 103487

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:33

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:33
Maybe so, but I wouldn't want to trade one after it had been for a good run out there - the bottom sides would surely need a respray !
FollowupID: 361022

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:53

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 22:53
Or Pommycrap.....Uncle Bob....hahahahahaha
FollowupID: 361038

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:48

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:48
It's 41c in Perth today, and I just got back in the office after. I drove from one end of the Row Highway to the other (about 30mins @ 105km/hr). I saw 3, yes THREE falcons on the side of the road with bonnets up. No other vehicles were stopped....

I think I'll keep my jap crap...
FollowupID: 361118

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:12

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:12
ahhhh Jeff All Falcons eh? Isnt it true that all non-japanese cars all look the same hmmm????
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 361132

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:23

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 19:23
Well the two that my missus has had from work (from new) were crap, and I'm pretty sure those 3 sets of people I saw on the side of the road today with their falcons bonnets up are probally thinking along the same lines. As are all the falcon owners I see every day of the frigin week on the side of the road. I was actually thinking today I should put a little notepad on the dash of my work car and tick "Columb A" for Ford and "Columb B" for other. I reckon I would see (and this is not a joke, no BS, fair dinkum) more falcons parked up on the side of Perth highways and freeways on a daily basis than all the other makes put together. But my little notepad idea would be interesting to see if that is actually true or not.
FollowupID: 361135

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:44

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:44
Maybe be something in the water over there :) I very rarely see broken down cars of any make even old clackers just seem to keep moving but then again maybe I don't get out enough.
FollowupID: 361222

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:02

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:02
We've got pretty relaxed rego here, if the car doesn't get pulled over by the cops it can drive for around without any maintenance whatsoever for as long as it takes to get pulled over and a work order given. I used to drive a Cortina which had a bottle of brake fluid (leaky master cylinder), bottle of water (blown head gasket), bottle of oil (leaked from every seal and blew smoke like a steam train) and a can of CRC (start you bastard!) all in the boot. I drove it for 2 years like that until I finally got a yellow sticker when I got booked for speeding. Ahhhh the TAFE days... Never enough moeny to fix the car, but always plenty to spend down the pub. :-) That beast cost me a whole $250 including 6 months rego!

We also have a lot more 35c+ days here I guess which also doesn't help. I actually started my little talley today on the way to work. So far 1 to ford nill to other. LOL
I do approx 1000k's a week so it shouldn't take long to get a good talley going...

FollowupID: 361231

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:47

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 21:47
There is only one aftermarket rim with a load rating for the territory, and offroad tyres to suit are about 1 month away I believe.

We are developing a lift and suspension package for the Territory at the moment.
AnswerID: 103499

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:21

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:21
Hi - how are you? Have passed this information on to the people.
FollowupID: 361149

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 23:51

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 23:51
Im fine thanks Ruth, and trust all is going well in Birdsville currently.

Am organising another desert trip as we speak, Mungerinnie start, across the Warbarton, K1 to poeppels, into Birdsville, back out and up the hay river lake caroline, to Jervois.

Have been emailing Jol regarding permits, we are looking at leaving Mungerinnie 4th of july.

any "local" info we may need to know etc you could pass on,?

will have trip planned properly and speak with you re accomodation in the next week or so.
FollowupID: 361186

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:11

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:11
OK, you might get back into Birdsville in time for the EO National Gathering around 9,10,11 July - some of which might happen in the SD as well.
Great trip - envy at the Hay River trip. Talk soon.
FollowupID: 361214

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:01

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 23:01
The fact that they were Territories broken down probably has less to do with the make of the cars than the type of tyres & speed at which they were driven. Just look at the hundreds of 2wds that head up to the Birdsville races without any problem. We went on a trip up the Vic High country with one & it surprised us all how capable it was. Prepared correctly & driven appropiately & the Territory will go more places than not.
Cheers Craig........
AnswerID: 103515

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:56

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:56
If the motor is the same as the BA Faclon (which I'm pretty sure it is) they won't last long.

I was actually impressed with the BA when we took it down south on a week long trip. (it was brand new, wifes work car). Power was good, fuel economy was not too bad ride was ok. Sure enough you can't see anything out the mirrors, there are more bilnd spots that beers in my back fridge and you always crack your head on the roof when getting in and out, and if driving into the sun just pull over for half an hour or so until it sets so you can actually SEE out the winscreen (it's on such an angle it reflects off the dash to such an extent you can barley see the road) but hey for a ford it wasn't bad. (and yes I'm a holden man from way back).

Then... 10,000kms old it started playing up. Ford say there's nothing wrong with it. It shredded a drive belt, it had a coolant leak (repaired, but now leaking again) it won't start somtimes for about 30 seconds of cranking then when it finally does it runs on about 3 cylinders and beeps and flashes lights until you give it a heap of right foot then it's happy again. Her last falcon (the older model, not sure what that was) had a stuffed gear box, a fan that sounded like a food processor, two broken electric windows, was burning oil and many other things by 100,000kms and just over 3 years old. The car was a company car and was always serviced on time by ford. Looks like this new flash BA is going to be just as reliable....

Yeah go the Territory...
FollowupID: 361120

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:19

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:19
Crackles, you are right about high pressures and speed. I'm not having a "go" at the Ford I did point out that it was the first we'd seen here in Birdsville (and a second one came in straight after it) but they must be carrying non-standard tyres. This happens with lots of the new "soft roaders". The people are very happy with them (in town) but are treating them "gingerly" now - out here.
As far as tyres go generally - almost always, speed and too high pressure.
You are right about the 2WD cars - and the older caravans also - said it before, you can drive anything anywhere and two something as well, just got to drive to the conditions.
FollowupID: 361147

Reply By: old-plodder - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:55

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:55
We visited Birdsville last Oct. Came across one bloke who had done in 3 tryres in the first 100k of dirt from Windorah. (We had come through from Maree heading to Brisy). Had done the right thing and had two spares. Loaned him one of ours and followed them back into Birdsville. Bought new tyres from Theo at the shell. Theo was good enough to give them some advice. Some of us are lucky enough to come across some one like that before we get into trouble.
Advantgae of this type of forum.
All I can put it down to is too fast and tyre pressures too high.
Caught up with them after thier trip to South Aus and Vic. and no more problems after Birdsville.

Good people live in Birdsville.
AnswerID: 103555

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:20

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:20
Thank you - will pass on your kind words.
FollowupID: 361148

Sponsored Links