Oziexplorer - Datum - Waypoints

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 00:20
ThreadID: 21453 Views:2954 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have the Sunmap Topo maps for South East Queensland and the dirty weekends in SEQ book. I am trying to put in the waypoints from the book but they are out of alignment (high and to the left). I have checked the datums, Maps are GDA94 and the waypoints from the book are WGS84 which are pretty much the same so Oziexplorer should have handled the translation. I also tried the waypoint against the Natmap 250k Mosaic and seemed to have the same problem. Any other idea's on what to look for?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:12

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:12
Hello - a couple of traps - how are you entering waypoints? I assume manually.

If so the datum used is to a certain extent independent of the datum the map is calibrated in - the display datum (shown in middle, just above top of map) is the datum that will be used for waypoint entry unless you have selected "Datum of Loaded Map" - right click on the area over the display datum name to select option - so match this to the datum of the waypoints you are entering - which may or may not be the "datum of the loaded map" (in your case they are - if they weren’t you would have to select appropriate datum)

Other most common trap is entering wrong format - are the co-ords in metres (eg 345666 mE ) or in decimal degrees (eg 33.12345° S), degrees & minutes (eg 33° 45.59') or degrees, minutes & seconds (eg 33° 45' 35.4").

Some people often mistake

degrees & minutes (eg 33° 45.59').

for

degrees, minutes & seconds (eg 33° 45' 35.4").

so in error (using above example) would enter 59 for seconds when in fact it should be 35.4 (0.59x60).

You can change the format of the lat/long co-ord system by right clicking on the displayed co-ords (extreme left area just above map) to match the ones you are inputting.

Trust this helps
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 103528

Reply By: Coolman - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:58

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 11:58
Greg,

You were right on the money!!!. Thankyou very much this has been causing me sleepless nights. I can change the map display as you mentioned but when I go to enter the waypoints it is still in the degrees and minutes format. Is there any way to change this?

I really appreciate your help. Thankyou.
AnswerID: 103577

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 12:30

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 12:30
Coolman - you can change the format by right clicking the area of the coordinate display at the extreme left of OziExplorer screen - just above the map.

When you have the waypoint edit position screen open you can actually enter the lat/long coordinates in to relevant spaces to match the co-ords you have – OziExplorer will figure out what you want (irrespective of the displayed format)

eg

In the minutes seconds box if you type 49 50.5 – OziExplorer knows you want minutes and seconds. If you type in 49.56 in knows you want just minutes…..doesn’t actually matter what you have the display readout set to.

There is also another button on the waypoint edit position screen that lets you change between degrees and minutes and UTM for data entry.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 361089

Follow Up By: Coolman - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 13:49

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 13:49
Problem solved - Now everything is perfectly aligned!! You have really been helpful. Thankyou.

Regards
Duane
FollowupID: 361104

Sponsored Links