Speedi Sleeve Alternative???

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:14
ThreadID: 21469 Views:6146 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help me out with a alternative company that manufactures these type of sleeves. SS does not make a sleeve that will fit my application. I am after a sleeve with ID of 86.15mm. (They make a 85.75mm & 87.33mm sleeve).
Thanks
SantaAus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:36

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:36
Have you checked on the range of the speedi sleeve as I was under the impression that when you fit them to a shaft as they are driven on they stretch and then don't require any locktite to hold them there. You might find the the 85.75 mm sleeve is designed to go on shafts up to .5mm larger.
I have never had to use speedi sleeves but I know they exist and I wouldn't hesitate to use one if necessary as they are cheaper than removing shafts and building them up and re machining..
AnswerID: 103613

Follow Up By: herkman - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:45

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 20:45
Speedie sleeves are great, and we used them extensively when I worked at Kenworth. Particularly on sealed shafts, where you may encountered repeat failures.

However what they do, is if the shaft is more than .002" out of roand, they will buckle in the high spot area.

This is handy when doing road side repairs. If when you have finished, there are no high spots, then the shaft is not oval.

Regards

Col Tigwell
FollowupID: 361155

Reply By: BlackJack - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:40

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:40
Speedie Sleeves are made by CR Industries in the USA. There is an alternative supplier, (I think they call them Readi Sleeves or something like that) but they are just the same thing repackaged.
Pity there is not a size to fit as they work great. I am surprised that the 85.75 does not fit , as they all fall within a +/-tolerance range, as they stretch a bit.
I have used them for tailshafts and they work fantastic.
I am presuming that you are wanting to run an oil seal on a worn surface. If you can't get one, depending on how worn the shaft is, a good scrub and polish with emery with a new seal often works.
Otherwise, a peofessional respray and regrind is the only alternativeif the SS does not fit,
goodluck...
AnswerID: 103759

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 07:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 07:11
In 4wd applications we wont use "speedi sleeves' because of the amount of dirt and grit that gets into areas that have ussually created the void, where the seals runs to begin with, still gets in there when the sleeve is fitted, but instead of the seal weeping, and leaking, the speedi sleeve cuts the seal to ribbons, and becomes an instant catastrophic failure.

In clean environments though, they can be the goods to fix an issue.
AnswerID: 103801

Sponsored Links