Body Lift.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2147 Views:4709 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone have experience with a 60 series Landcruiser 1" body lift ? Friends have advised this using 1" blocks between body and chasis. Any problems ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
The following is a list my brother and I compiled for a proposed lift to my 80 Series. He has already completed a 3" lift on his 60 Series.
Fan / Radiator shroud Fan will be in a lower position to the radiator, shroud base may have to be splayed.
Exhaust hangers-Some exhausts hang from the body, these may need extending.
Steering Joints-Loosen both universal joints on the steering shaft.
Gear shifters-Will be shorter and may clash with the hole in the floor. Fuel tanks-Check for effects of body movement.
Brake lines-Check for effects of body movement.
Clutch line-Check for effects of body movement.
Throttle linkage / cable-Check for effects of body movement.
Heater hoses-Check for effects of body movement.
Wiring harness-Check for effects of body movement.
Speedo cable-Check for effects of body movement.
Hand brake cable-Check for effects of body movement.
Spare wheel-Check for effects of body movement.
Roo bar / headlights-Headlights will be higher and may cause glare. Water tanks-Inlet and outlets.
Hardware required Nuts and Bolts-Longer high tensile bolts. Spacers-number required 12?
Flashing-To keep fluid and mud out of engine bay and aesthetics.
Diff Breathers - lengthen or check for effects of body movement.

A "Body Lift" search of this forum should get you most other answers you will require
Cheers
Coops
AnswerID: 7394

Follow Up By: Royce - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Ah ha.... I recognize this list .... You sent it to me when I inquired a few months ago. I printed it out and used it as a guide while lifting my girl. It was great! I systematically worked through and had no problems, which is not normal for me! Thanks Royce
FollowupID: 3472

Reply By: Coops - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Ron
Seems like a lot of work for a 1" gain. Have you thought about larger diameter rims and/or higher profile tyres? I personally will be attacking a 2" or 3" lift shortly using all of the below guidelines. A fellow by the name of Royce just recently completed a 2" lift on a Troopy and he should be able to give you the run down on any problems encountered. I'm sure you'll hear from him soon but if not there's a recent posting where you can get in touch.
AnswerID: 7395

Follow Up By: Royce - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Ahha again... I hadn't read this far yet!
FollowupID: 3473

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Remember that you may require an Engineers Cert for Mods of this sort, so if you do, thats around $300, may as well lift it 2-3 inches.

AnswerID: 7502

Reply By: royce - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

My son Jim did a lift on his BJ42 and had lots of trouble with the steering column. Some other nuisance problems with his mounts and brackets, battery etc. I think the 60 series might have a similar set up. I haven't looked at one for a long while. My 75 series was easy compared. I have been advised that up to 50mm is legal without an engineer's certificate and that you need to use 'polyrock' type of product. Bolt and faster supplies can get this stuff in. It comes under several names and specifications and a very hard form of plastic. Cheers Royce PS I have found a few bonuses in the body lift, such as clearance improvement for various body bits and a bit more room in the engine bay.
AnswerID: 7561

Reply By: Ron - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
The reason that only a 1" body lift has been advised is that they say there are no above mentioned problems. But any more lift than 1" will incur lengthening certain parts. Is this right? I would prefer to go a little higher but not at the expense of lengthening things to suit.
AnswerID: 7653

Follow Up By: Ron - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry, the previous was meant to be a post follow up. Bad control of the mouse button.
FollowupID: 3516

Follow Up By: Coops - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

I have no first hand experience here Ron although in about 2 weeks time I will be lifting my 80 series 3" however from what I can tell the only real tough extensions you will require are to the short stick, radiator shroud and bull bar attachment. All of which are far outweighed by the benefits. I can tell you from first hand experience that the extra height I gained by moving to 16" rims and a 2" lift thru springs and shocks was nothing short of fantastic and I cannot wait to do the body lift.
FollowupID: 3521

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Things that may be a problem

Steering column/steering is a main problem... Radiator height to the body, shrouds, Hoses that connect to the body/chassis.

Its something that is not hard, theres just lots of looking into.. and planning..

Talk to some 4wd mod places, Total4wd Center Epping Vic have done MANY 60's and will help you out with your info.. Brett or Rod, EXCELLENT to talk to.
FollowupID: 3529

Sponsored Links