Claim Your Trip As A Tax Deduction

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 15:33
ThreadID: 21470 Views:2472 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
It appears this maybe possible. Suggest you check this link

All responsibility rests with you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kimdoug - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 18:19

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 18:19
wow what great info

AnswerID: 103621

Follow Up By: vanaway - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:44

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 21:44

I recommend you talk to your tax agent or the ATO before relying too much on this. There are circumstances which permit people who are classified as itinerant workers in tax ruling TR95/34 to claim deductioons such as travel and accommodation. However, these are clearly defined and limited.

It is not as simple as it seems and the ATO places a narrow interpretation on the ruling. So if you are travelling around Oz and going out to get jobs whilst on the road I doubt that any claim would be accepted in an audit - except in some very specific circumstances as detailed in the ruling.


FollowupID: 361170

Reply By: G.T. - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 13:11

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 13:11
My understanding of the deductability of your travel expenses is that you must have proven position --ie a job to travel to prior to commencing the trip. In other words you would more than likely be an intinerrent worker picking fruit travelling to different properties during the season. If you obtain a job at another property, then you are able to claim travel expenses to get to that property. Proof would be required for this as the A.T.O. would not pay unless the position is obtained prior to the journey commencing. Just my thoughts. A talk with the A.T.O. would be the best bet.. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 103821

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)