Prado purchase

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2148 Views:2270 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to replace my 97 pathfinder with a 99 GXL Prado - need the extra room in the back. The car in question has got 90K on the clock but looks good. Can anyone help with suggestions as to any particular things to check out? I've been reading about other owners with problems of worsening fuel economy problems and also problem CV joints. Any comments that would make the decision on this car easier would be appreciated. What does the 100K service cost?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudgutz - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
for mine,.... not a prado owner mind you but have driven plenti , the prado when compared to mitsu,nissan is the best of the midsize 4wd , they have the least in onboard niceties but outperform the rest offroad by far .....look out for vibration only slight between 2500-3000 rpm in a petrol manual.....indicates up and coming clutch repair .......the 100000kms service is about 300 if you dont get the timing belt done..........problem toyota recommend the belt if the car is used under "harsh" conditions..as its worded in the book at 100000 or
150000 without.........the belt and service generally runs to 700-800 at our joint....the front cv joints only go prematurely when the car is lifted therefore putting slightly more of an angle into the joint. other than that they are a damn good car. enjoy it mate
AnswerID: 7398

Follow Up By: Robbie - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

thanks for the response mudgutz. I was also looking at jackaroo's and pajero's but the fuel consumtion figures quoted seem a whole lot worse than the prado. I'd consider a TD jackaroo but have had difficulty locating one here in Mackay (sunny queensland) to look at. Wife and I have been very happy with the pathfinder but with three kids (the 11 year old is just off 5'7") it's just too squeezee in the back on trips.
FollowupID: 3388

Reply By: pete - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

We have bought a 98 gxl manual . Been a great car so far getting around 12to13 liters per 100klm highway running100to 110klmh little noisy around 3000rpm. Have done little off road been good this far.
AnswerID: 7402

Follow Up By: Robbie - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

pete - how many km's have you got on it?
FollowupID: 3389

Follow Up By: Pete - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

only done 65000km sorry cant help with 100000km service
FollowupID: 3390

Reply By: pete - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

We have bought a 98 gxl manual . Been a great car so far getting around 12to13 liters per 100klm highway running100to 110klmh little noisy around 3000rpm. Have done little off road been good this far.
AnswerID: 7403

Reply By: matt - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

My Rv6 Prado now has 153000 ks on it and still runs like a gem. I experience some form of harmonic vibration at 2800rpm even though mine is an auto. My fuel economy stands at about 15klm/ltr hwy and 18klm/ltr city , as long as hwy speeds arnt over 100klm.As long as it has reg servicing it should be a good thing.
Regards Matt
AnswerID: 7406

Reply By: Mart - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
I've had a Black 96 Prado VX (auto) for about 3 months now, and it just went through the 150k service without a hitch. The engine is very smooth - the only notable thing being the click-click of the solenoids (so i've been told).

Fuel Economy isn't something I can really comment on, as I upgraded to this car from a 1969 Mini 1100 :) I keep track of the fuel prices usinghttp://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au and so far have been filling up both tanks every 2 weeks.

I've taken it on a few coastal / dune runs, and through the Eureka Driver Training Course in Mundaring.

Last weekend a friend and I did the Lancelin -> Cervantes run, which was great. The rear suspension is bottoms out fairly frequently, but I'd say that comes with age, and I'll be upgrading those within the next couple of months, along with the tyres (it currently has balding GrandTrek PT1), which are very bitumen oriented.

It is far more capable than I am off-road, and it never ceases to amaze me when it conquers what looks like really steep dunes, or particularly rough tracks.

I really have no complaints about the car - it looks and goes great :)

We have a few more weekenders and day trips tentatively planned, so hopefully I'll have more to contribute soon.

I hope you enjoy your prado!

Cheers,

Martin
AnswerID: 7483

Follow Up By: Gpa - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Mart, what would be a comfortable round-trip time to do the Lancelin> Cervantes run ? Given that you are only just starting out - did you encounter any difficult sections on this trip (I've only done half a dozen beach runs/bush tracks myself - and am considering this run myself). Thanks.
FollowupID: 3428

Follow Up By: Mart - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Gpa,
We got to Lancelin at around midday, which was unfortunate, as it was high tide :(

Our late timing, along with the fact that the firing range had shut off access to the beach, meant we hit some pretty rough, rocky tracks - not rough as in challenging - but rough as in tedious, choppy limestone type stuff that you need to re-inflate your tyres and crawl over. At least, that was our technique. We missed a 11km beach run because of this. The most beach we saw was an 8km section, which was great :)

Our timing also meant we got to Cervantes at around 7pm - when it was dark. The track out of Grey was another slow rocky stint that is only made worse by the reduced light - that section wasn't particularly enjoyable.

To answer your question - i'd say get to Lancelin at around 8.30-9am, and regardless of any detours, you should still get to Cervantes with a nice chunk of daylight to spare. Just the right time for photos :)

We took a small detourto the left just past the firing range, and i shot this scene : http://www.sumo.com.au/4wd/4wd.mov

You'll need to have the Quicktime Player installed to see it properly.
www.quicktime.com.au

Cheers
Martin.
I hope this form accepts HTML tags - if not, please ignore all the weird stuff in brackets :)
FollowupID: 3429

Follow Up By: Gpa - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Mart, there is a 25km beach run between Tims Thickett and Preston beach near Mandurah. If the rocky point is exposed at TT, then get back on the HWY and head to White Hills about 4km South. We went at high tide, and although there were some narrow points, and 1m wash-aways, we made it through without too much drama. Take a shovel and expect to get bogged. Have fun - it's a great run. PS - Preston beach has toilets, shop, fuel and air. All the trip-notes, Ranger Ph # etc can be found in the small book - "4WD days out of Perth" - $11 from bookshops.
FollowupID: 3432

Reply By: benau - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
I've seen early v6 prado's offer reliable service when used in town or on sealed roads, i've also seen them in constant service on dirt roads and properties at high speed where the steering and control arm bushes fail at about 40000k intervals,(cruiser/hilux much stronger) Prados are a good gutsy 4x4, I had one at 160kph comfortably on a straight with 5th gear to go, if your looking for something for regular off road work you might regret a prado, if you do buy one look out for sagged front springs with aftermarket and dealer fit alloy bullbars, dealer fit steel bullbars get heavier duty front springs included. the prado/current hilux transfer case is chain drive to the front and this chain is known to streach and slip especially in vehicles that are driven hard and wheel spun
AnswerID: 7624

Sponsored Links