Drop log huts

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:43
ThreadID: 21496 Views:3830 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've done a Google search and I've asked Jeeves so as a last resort I now turn to the all knowing, ever helpful ExploOz forum.

I am thinking of building a simple dirt floored drop log hut. You know the one where the horizontal logs are dropped between the vertical uprights and the cavities filled. I want to make it as authentic as possible and therefore have searched and searched for a description of the construction methods employed. To date I have come up empty handed.

I would be forever in the debt of anyone who can point me in the direction of the aforesaid documentation, any illustrations or even old floor plans.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:50

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:50
is this a drop log hut?
got no idea what your really talking about but thought i might try and help
AnswerID: 103744

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:59
can this association help
FollowupID: 361278

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:31

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:31
Thanks for the effort Nudie, but even though that's the type of article I'm after it's not a drop log constuction as it doesn't have any uprights Craigs Hut is a typical drop log hut. Not the upright pillars with the "drops" in between. The section on the daubing in your document is perfect! I've had a look through the various high country huts sites but can't seem to turn up anything.

Once again thanks for the response.
FollowupID: 361281

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 22:15

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 22:15
Nudenut that's Harold Scrubby's house.

Are you stalking him too?
FollowupID: 361299

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:53

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:53
Wombat, would'nt the kosciuskohuts.org.aube able to help
FollowupID: 361313

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:16

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:16
Wombat, just did a quick Google search: Try under pioneer log houses. Style of construction very popular in America.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 103753

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:55

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:55
I dropped a log in a hut once........

Hey, it's the Holidays!!!!!! Gimme a break!!

See Ya in a few weeks.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 103765

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:31

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 20:31
You sure you are not referring to a LONG DROP HUT???? hahahahaha Have a good one
AnswerID: 103773

Reply By: Pedro14 - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:13

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:13
G'day Wombat,
In my youth I think they were called "pit sawn" huts.

Did a Google on "pit sawn timber huts" and got over 300 sites.

One in particular of the couple, I looked at might be what you are looking for.

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/fpt/nwfp/slabhuts/slabhuts2.html#anchor3264816

Another of interest may be
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/Historic/Historic-Huts/Ellis-Hut.asp

I saw one at a property at Dirranbandi back about 1980 which was still used as the residence of the owner, however don't know if it would still be there.

Pedro
AnswerID: 103804

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:33
Pedro,

A thousand thank yous. The first link is exactly what I was after! Now to source the appropriate timber!
FollowupID: 361607

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:56

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:56
Paul, it seems that may have been a less popular way of building than some of the others. It is an interesting concept though to recreate a log hut, particularly in a bush setting.

I looked up 'adze' and 'hut' in Australian sites and one of the best was at "http://www.jondaryanwoolshed.com/01_about/map_e_woolshed_village.htm# " where they apparently have an annual day of showing the skills of using things like an adze to dress timbers. I would love to see it actually, and your recreation too for that matter.. Ther are plenty of horizontal kits and the like with the chunk out the end to locate the timbers, American style. There are some of these in Australia too in the high country.

Looking around the sites Powerhouse museum have a recreation, and a floor plan but it all seems more typical to have the slab huts with timbers vertical, and they have been more common in the high country too. That way any rainfall ran down the timbers. One site I saw had mentioned the scraps of newspaper that still adhered from where it had been wedged against the drafts. Hope you have that authenticity too.

They are of a simple rectangular type with the door high enough for the occupant and the frames too. Just think of the Bindaree Hut and the size of it. Some of the bark huts though seem to have had 8' walls and descriptions of what timbers and how to remove the bark. It would be a shame in todays society to kill a tree for a sheet of bark if you were not going to use the tree in it's entirety.

The farm house I went to first was sawn, unpainted hardwood weatherboards, but tar paper on the walls to stop the draughts. I seem to remember my parents erecting a screen around beds covering with blankets to try to keep it warmer. I pulled a drawing pin out as a kid and swallowed it, making my first acquaintenance with the local doctor and hospital.

I reckon when you find the hen's teeth, you may find original documentation.
AnswerID: 103808

Follow Up By: Wombat - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:53

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:53
Thanks for the interesting links John. I think the chainsaw will be my tool of choice as the adze looks too much like hard work. I think I might try to find some "weathered" corrugated iron for the roofing material.

PS What was the eventual outcome for the drawing pin?
FollowupID: 361610

Sponsored Links