80 series 1FZ Supercharging

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2150 Views:4396 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I am considering Supercharging my 4.5 mainly for the economy but the reliability has me worried, we are buying a Camper trailer early next year so the added peformance wont go astray.
The bottom end of the motors are quiet strong and apparently if the charger does fail you can run the normal belts back on it for near standard peformance, is there anybody out there with hands on experience??

Cheers Ash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin watson - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
Ashley, i have S/C my 4.2 diesal patrol, the best thing i ever did. I have just done a 10000k trip through the centre and had no problems at all, i was worried about dust affecting the drive belt, but no problems, yes if they break down just take off the belt and away you go, unlike a turbo. Fuel economy can vary if you are lead footed they are very thirsty, over 110ks also thirsty. I travelled with 7 other vehicles all towing camper trailers and i averaged about the same as a hilux 2.8 diesal with no turbo, with heaps of power to burn when we got into very strong head winds. Overtakeing was a breese, even fully loaded with the trailer. No extra heat was generated. When i get on the beach the tourge is unreal even at very low revs, no lag, starts working right from idle. You wont be dissapointed if you fit one. Regards Col
AnswerID: 7448

Follow Up By: Ashley - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Col all noted sounds good
Cheers Ash
FollowupID: 3426

Reply By: Dave Peacock - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
I've recently got a 1HZ diesel 80 series for economy reasons and am thinking about superchaging it when i can afford to. I've found some info at Capa s/c site but apparently sprintex have a kit using an Eaton roots type blower(same as used on the newish commodore v6's). Only problem is that the Eatons are worth about $3500 new and the complete kits are worth about $6000-7000!!!!! It certainly gives a $2500 turbo kit an edge. But I've just spent a fortune on a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system so I'm just going to save my pennies.
Any extra info would be great.
AnswerID: 7474

Follow Up By: Ashley - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Dave, sounds like the same information i have got. The Capa's produce heaps of power but it's all up top (rpm driven) which is good if you want to overtake 15 cars in a row, but it's not what were looking for.
I have replaced the exhaust with 2.5 inch system and will save my pennys too. Thanks for your time. Cheers Ash
FollowupID: 3427

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ashly.
Bit of a late reply but here is my 2 cents worth. I have a 92 Troopie fitted with an Intercooled turbo. I made enquires for about 2 years reading everything I could lay my hands on relating to the old argument turbo Vs Supercharger.

I chose Turbo, it is install and forget! A good idea though is a turbo-timer. Fuel economy no change from pre turbo days if you drive the same which I do, guts, tons, turbo lag, in a diesel virtually un- noticable unless you are REALLY looking for it.

Why not a supercharger, it is so I am told subject to regular maintenance as the vanes in the fan and seals and belt are subject to wear and to fix those costs money.

My intercooled turbo has done 30,000 km and still as good as the day it was fitted. If turbos weren't as good as superchargers then why do all heavy trucks and earth moving equipment have them fitted. Long haul trucks talk distances on hundreds of thousands of kilometre, must say something about turbos.

Regards
AnswerID: 7643

Follow Up By: Ashley - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Cheers all noted, good point.
FollowupID: 3511

Follow Up By: Colin - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

as to servicing S/C every 50ks the oil needs to be changed and the bushes are able to be replaced. The vains dont have to be touched at all.Also there are no seals that have to be replaced, least these units can be serviced, unlike a turbo which needs a rebuild when something goes wrong, any thing from $800 upwards, and you cant compare a truck turbo to a 4x4 turbo, look at the size and the application entirely different. When a turbo lets go thats it you are on the side of the road waiting for help,S/C take the belt off and keep driveing. Truck manufactueres now days are now looking at fitting a S/c Look at Volvo they are doing a lot of rechearge in this field. My S/C charger has done 20,000ks, 10,000 through the desert, no problems, and i dont need a timer to idle down, and dont need a intercooler to put in front of my radiator. I aaaalso did a lot of research between the two, but it wasnt till i drove the two that i made my mind up, no comparison, S/C left The intercooled turbo for dead, in all aspects of 4x4 driveing. Regards Col
FollowupID: 3515

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Oct 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Colin for that. It looks like your information and experiences outway the advice given to me. I still do not regret fitting the turbo. Incidentally, my intercooler lays flat on top of the motor and air is passed through a scoop in the bonnet which increases the turbo out put by about 15%. Just as a point of interest, on the dynometer, my rig gave an increase of 47% at 1500 rpm, 40% at 2000 rpm 39% at 2500 rpm 27% at 3000 rpm and 20 % at 3500 rpm. The boost is 12-13 psi, Air fuel 19.5 @ 3000 rpm ...... I don't know about you but most of my work is done between 1500 and 2500 rpm and in that range the increase is quite healthy and I do not have to worry that I may be loading up the bottom end.
Regards
FollowupID: 3517

Reply By: Ashley - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
Colin, Can you tell me what sort of S/C and on what vehicle you are running. Cheers
AnswerID: 7801

Sponsored Links