LPG CONVERSION

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 11:51
ThreadID: 21512 Views:4773 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G/DAY,
Can anyone help me out with some information.I have a Nissan Patrol built 12/98 4500 auto.We are intending doing the big one towing our 19' van.With fuel being costly can anybody recommend LPG conversion and installer.Our location is Tumut N.S.W.Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank's Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Casnat - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 13:38

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 13:38
Hi,

I have a '98 Patrol 4500 auto which has had a gas conversion. Quite cost efficient (compared to petrol) around town and there is little noticeable difference in performance. The only thing noticeable is a "flat spot" before shifting into third when on gas.

The big dissadvantage you should consider is that gas is not readily available once you get "off the beaten track" and your range can be severely restricted. If you are towing a van you probably won't have a problem as you may not get too far from civilisation. I did find this something that added to the planning in Tassie for example where the only places gas is available is Hobart and Launceston. You have to try to keep the gas tank full for emergency and run mainly on the smaller petrol tank, topping up at every opportunity. (does mean you don't get the cost benefit of gas in such situations). You can download from the internet all of the locations where gas is available.

If you do get a conversion done and they aren't going to give you much for your old petrol tank and associated bits, I may be interested in them. I have been toying with the option of converting back to just petrol for the trips when I need the extra range.

Trevor
AnswerID: 103824

Follow Up By: ozpatrolin' - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:05

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:05
Hi Casnat,

Just a small correction....LPG is available in many towns in Tasmania. When I was there 1 year ago we only had to use petrol once between.. Queenstown(no LPG at Queenstown) and Strahan..only 40 odd km.

Cheers OP
FollowupID: 361498

Follow Up By: Casnat - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:20

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:20
Hi Op,

I just checked the website listing LPG sites for Tassie and you are of course right.

It's a couple of years since we were there and the picture has changed a lot since it would appear. As mentioned, we could only get it at the 2 main towns and it was a real pain. Hopefully over time it will continue to be rolled out to other more remote areas of oz.

Cheers
Trevor
FollowupID: 361501

Follow Up By: SWH - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:01

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:01
Trevor,I am new to this forum.Posted a thank you at the last follow up number 4.I thanked every body.I am not sure if I should do each individual reply. Thank you again mate.
FollowupID: 361545

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 01:43

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 01:43
It may pay to calculate how many klms you will travel, and how much fuel you might use. does this add up to as much as the gas conversion ? If you are happy with the vehicle's fuel cost's around town and you only plan on one big trip, it may be easier to just stay as you are. Having had a cruiser on gas, I found it annoying when gas was not available. But I had the LPG tank in the back of the wagon, so I still had the full size fuel tank underneath. Losing the main fuel tank to fit the LPG tank in the patrols does make it a juggling act when in the outback. Also, if in the end the savings don't add up to much, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Having said that. If you're going to do heaps of klm's in the first year, the money you save on fuel will probably pay for the conversion. In normal circumstances, it takes about a few years to recoup the cost of the conversion in fuel savings if you stick to gas wherever possible. Which is great if you are going to keep the car for a while. If you sell the car in the near future, the only person who benefits is the person who buys it.
AnswerID: 103862

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:33
hmmm...i also have a 98 100 series auto and am looking at the lpg option. Info I have is that the 16/100 I can now get will be 21/100 on lpg, meaning about 45,000 kms before paying it off. Ok by me as I intend kitting the car out and keeping it for a good few years. The dilemma I have come across is the easiest way, is to put tanks alongside the sidesteps ($2600) giving 72 L usable which isn't a lot esp when towing a van. You'd be filling up every 5 mins. Option is to put 90 L usable in place of sub-tank and remove spare wheel, ($2200) then spend $1100 minimum on fitting a rear wheel carrier. My local 4x4 outfit (Gosford) have suggested putting it in the luggage area. They'll fit a holder to stand it up against the cubby hole where the jack goes for under $200. Might be the way.
AnswerID: 104020

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:45
(woops, it's a PATROL Stevie) sorry about the oversight but if you log onto justcruisin.bigpond.hosting.com/ you'll find an interesting site by a couple who have a GU lpg conversion and have done the big one towing a caravan. If you go to "the big one" and "fuel prices" you'll see how clever they've been and logged every fuel stop with prices for lpg/ulp/diesel. It shows that lpg isn't as scarce as we're led to believe away from the cities.
FollowupID: 361537

Reply By: SWH - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 19:49

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 19:49
Hello, I am new to this forum,so I hope that I am now correct.I would like to thank you all for the time and effort in your replies. I can get my conversion done in Wagga Wagga,can't think of firms name at the moment but, it will cost $2491.00 includes GST .Remove main tank and install 115lt tank, approx 92lt usable gas.Thanks again,you have all be great.

Procrastination
is the thief of time.
AnswerID: 104048

Follow Up By: Mikell - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:36

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:36
Are they removing the sub tank as well and replacing it with a 75lt fuel tank?

I have a 4.8 patrol and got a quote of $2950 - remove main tank and fit 120 lt gas tank, remove sub tank and fit 75lt fuel tank. Also included some fancy new system where the car would automatically always start on petrol and (if already switched to gas) then switch to gas. Good idea as it is recommended to do this but on our old patrol i could never be bothered most of the time.

I think you should consider this if it is not included in your quote as 35lt sub tank wont get you far towing a van if you run out of gas.

Two years ago we towed a 22' van from melbourne to port douglas and back with a 1990 GQ 4.2 on gas. Unless we were in a big town/city the price of gas made it cheaper to run on petrol especially in QLD. If i only had 35lt (30lt usable I believe) I wouldnt have made it between towns to fill up.
FollowupID: 361554

Reply By: SWH - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:58

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:58
Mikell,
thanks mate.I was told remove main tank and install 120lt, approx 92lt usable gas.No mention of sub tank.That does concern me towing our van and running out of gas.The price quoted $2491.00. We are due to leave very soon and I have not arranged a bloody draw system,nor gas installation. Thanks again for you time.
Regards
Steve.
SWH
AnswerID: 104286

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:20

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:20
Dont know anyone out that way , but Steve Kelo Automotive here in Canberra comes highly recommended for gas conversions.
AnswerID: 104290

Sponsored Links