good camping spots down south

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 17:46
ThreadID: 21514 Views:7795 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,
would like to know of any good camping spots (near rivers) in the areas of greenbushes, bridgetown, pemberton, northcliffe, walpole.

r hiring a campertrailer and have 2weeks 2 travel down south,and wanting to do sum fishing also when we r down that way.

anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex H - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 18:32

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 18:32
G'day,
working from memory, here are a few I remember from the Pemberton area:
Rooney's Bridge on the Warren River between Manjimup and Quinninup.
Moons Crossing - not sure of the river, near Pemberton, carry on past the Gloucester Tree.
Heartbreak Trail in the Warren NP - various campsites along the Warren River.

All good fishing areas, plus marron in season.
hope this helps, and whatever else, enjoy yourself!!
PS, I've never been there, at any time of year, without having it rain at least once (but not usually enough to matter)
Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 103833

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 19:09

Friday, Mar 25, 2005 at 19:09
A good book to get, which will show you many, many spots.
"Priceless campsites & rest areas in the south west" by Jan Holland.
Available from good camping / fishing shops. We got ours from Cargills but I have seen em in many tackle shops.

Walpole is my favourite of all these towns. Pure magic for relaxing, bush walking.
Not terrebly good fishing in the inlet, too many stingrays and blowies. But up the rivers that feed into the inlet, some good black bream, if a bit small, maybe.

Just out of Walpole 3 or 4 klm, heading towards Denmark there is a good parking spot that leads down to the river where I have caught bream. You need to look for a particular tree, near the crest of a small hill, which the road veers left as you go over the crest.

The tree trunk is BIG (massive), it's trunk is darkened from a fire years ago and is on your right as you go up the hill. Only when you see the tree and have a good look will you notice a very small track heading into the bush on your right. It's quite overgrown, which is why you need to find the tree because the track is almost invisible from the road. It's also right now that your driving past the track at 100 klm/h and the road is too dangerous to turn around on for a klm or two. After you have turned around and found the tree, (which is now on your left and so is the track) you go down the track which is OK for 2 wheel drive, and it opens out into a clearing which would hold a dozen cars if need be. But every time I've been there I've had the place to myself and have camped with a swag a couple of times.

I would suggest a camp fire is a big no-no.

This spot is not in the book mentioned above, it was described to me by a local at one of the lovely B & B's in town.
AnswerID: 103836

Sponsored Links