Hi to all Terracan owners

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:08
ThreadID: 21546 Views:4910 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm a newbie here, although I did spend some time on the Overlander forum a while ago until the politics there got a little too heavy for me.

Anyway, I notice that there are a few Terracan owners around this forum and would like to get some info from them.

I am in the process of trying to sort a dual battery system. I only need around 50-50amps from a deep cycle - enough to run my 45L waeco for a couple of days at most. I tried the Piranha kit but it doesn't fit vehicles with ABS...

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you.

Feel free to email me at ants@tpg.com.au

My Terracan is an '03 model Highlander petrol engined auto with the following:
-Custom Alloy bullbar
-Cibie Oscar SC's
-Polished alloy full length roof basket (on custom made feet)
-Suspension lift kit (coils and dampers - torsion bars shouldn't be too long in coming)
-Polyair bags in rear coils
-BFG AT's
-After-market alloy wheels
-Hyundai towbar
-Hyundai cargo barrier
-GME TX3200 UHF
-Hyundai plastic bits (tupperware....headlight protectors, weather shields etc)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MarkC - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:32

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:32
G'Day Ants,

I'm also sorting through the mess of a dual battery system. If you want to start an argument just mention "dual battery" around a group of 4wd owners. I made this mistake once and it's amazing how many different setups are around and it seems no one can agree on whats best. My Jerrycan is also an 03 but does not have ABS, so fitting a PiranhaTJM setup under the bonnet is possible. Available space will only permit a small deepcycle 55amp hour, which I believe is too small after doing the power consumption sums. A better choice of battery would help, an AGM or Gel, as you get more power from the same size wet cell battery, and they also recharge faster.
Refer to Jimbo's post 15195, which is a good alternative to fitting the aux battery under the bonnet. I'm in NSW and gave my local battery world a ring and gave them details of Jimbo's setup and they rang back with a quote of $1100 plus, depending on what problems they might run into. This was a bit too much for my budget, so I'm back to square 1. I'm now looking at replacing the original starting battery with a dual purpose gel battery that has starting & deepcycle capacity and using a 3 way fridge instead of a compressor type. I've requested info on these batteries from the manufacturer's but they have not yet replied. All up I find this a real headache. I'll send you an email, I'd love to have a look at your custom bullbar and roof basket.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 104012

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:00

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:00
Why not use the smaller battery to run the vehicle and put the larger eep cycle battery in the space occupied now by your starter battery?
FollowupID: 361515

Follow Up By: MarkC - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 18:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 18:45
Gary,

Actually hadn't thought of that, the more I think about it the more it seems a pretty good idea. I'll have to check this out with my sparky mate.

Thanks,
Mark.

PS Why is it the simple ideas are always the best!
FollowupID: 361542

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:43

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:43
Ants, lots of info on Duel Batt mods, I guess your primary concern is what size battery and where to fit. I would be looking at AGM or gel cell batteries, the size/output is much better suited to limited space applications.

About your Jerrycan, any chance of some pics and details ie bullbar-brand type etc?

My father is looking at trading in the JAckaroo for a CRDi Auto Jerrycan and Im all for it, but aftermarket gear atm is the only drawback.

Thanks

Matt
AnswerID: 104115

Follow Up By: Ants - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:35

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:35
Hi Matt,

Send me an email to ants@tpg.com.au and I'll gladly send pics over.

You're right about the after market gear - it's a little scarce at the moment. With the increase in sales numbers from the CRDi though, hopefully more will get on board and start making bits.

The only true custom job on my rig is the feet for the roof rack. Any competent engineering shop would be able to make them, or indeed any handyman who can weld.
FollowupID: 361640

Reply By: Member - Jason J (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:36

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:36
Ants,
I have found a place that does a dual battery setup for your terracans the details are below

Terracan Dual Battery Tray $150 from –
Piranha Off Road Products Pty. Ltd.
Ph (03) 9762-1200

Jason J

AnswerID: 104304

Follow Up By: Ants - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:32

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 14:32
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info, but I have already ordered and sent back a Piranha battery tray. They don't fit vehicles with ABS unfortunately.

Cheers,

Anthony
FollowupID: 361743

Sponsored Links