Stupid thing

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:37
ThreadID: 21549 Views:2362 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I did a stupid thing last night. I think I drove home from the beach in 4WD high for about 60 kilometres on the bitumen. I took it for a run this morning and there is no apparent damage ( I can still engage 4WD high and low and it drives OK). I have a new Rodeo. Am I likely to have done any damage that I should get looked at ? There is a chance I knocked the 4WD button when I was reversing in the driveway last night but I cannot be sure.

I have always worried about doing this. I cannot believe that I didn't notice the 4WD light on the dash. Has anybody any ideas for people like me who need more than a little green light on the dashboard to remind them they are in 4WD, or is there no hope for me. (4WD low is obviously not a problem).

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:51

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:51
Probably no damage or things you need to look out for. I doubt if there was too much wind up if everything is working OK.

No there is no cure for things we do. I went through a period where I used to drive with the handbrake on. I got over it by not using the handbrake :o)
AnswerID: 104015

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:43

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:43
that way ...you cant be noted as having the excuse of "old age" eh?
FollowupID: 361521

Reply By: motherhen - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:12

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:12
10 or so years ago when my son turned 17, he and a mate had just got their first Hiluxes and went out to try 4wd-ing in the forest one muddy afternoon. As they drove back through town that rainy evening, and officious little cop from the next town hiding a speed trap (ones in our town were nice guys and had cultured a good repectful working relationship with the local youth) wanted to "teach them a lesson". I let him carry on for a while wanting an apology from my son or "see you in court then" - whereas my son was just asking "what have i done wrong - i want to know". I eventually interrupted, and he told me said they were racing through town, spinning their wheels on the bitumen. I said "Come off it - but they were still in 4wd when they got home". He shrunk even smaller and said "shouldn't do that you know - not good for the car" and slithered away.
AnswerID: 104024

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:51

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:51
Stick a big piece of duct tape over the button so it cannot be pressed accidentally. Just take the tape off when going bush. It works for my Hilux with the 4WD button on the small gear stick. Also stops the kids from accidentally pressing it when they are playing in the car.
AnswerID: 104026

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:55

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:55
I recon it's quite likely you hit the button at home. Me thinks you would notice the light on the dash every time you checked the speedo. You DO check the speedo don't you ? te he

I think most of us have done something like this, I have. I nearly wound the transfer up to distruction by doing a U turn in a dead end road after forgeting to shift out of 4wd. Took me lots of sweat and cursing to get it out of 4wd, and I'm paranoid about it now, so I doubt it will ever happen again.
AnswerID: 104027

Reply By: drogger - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:45
I once heard a story about 15 years ago about a new chum who brought a suburu. He noticed that most 4WDs had free wheeling hubs fitted (on the front) - so he got got the same done to his vehicle. Then he wondering why his suburu wouldn't go anywhere.
AnswerID: 104030

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:53

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:53
I once pulled a Holden panelvan out of a sand bog at 1am while the young blokes younger girlfriend sat on a dune pretending that she wasnt there (or worrying about what dad would say when she got home).
He rekkoned that he'd been told that an LSD meant that he could drive anywhere :))
FollowupID: 361538

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:33
I must be missing something. I thought 4WD vehicles could be driven in 4WD! You wouldn't want to lock diffs on bitumen, but 4WD not a problem.
AnswerID: 104176

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:23

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:23
Not quite true Bob. If you drive a "full time" 4WD like an 80s cruiser or prado, then yes, they drive around all day in 4WD because they have some kind of release mechanism, usually a viscous coupling or similar, to let the front diff turn endependantly from the rear diff. This can be "locked in" when serious 4WDriving.

Old forby's like 60s cruisers, or even the new GU patrol, that have "part time' 4WD do not have any release between front and rear diffs when locked in 4WD, and serious damage can occur in the transfer case if driven on bitumen. Even a short drive on bitumen can cause "wind up" in the transfer case.

I did a U turn on bitumen with the car in 4WD. The car came to a stop as if someone pulled on the hand brake, and it wouldn't disconnect out of 4WD or move forward or backwards. I had to jack up one wheel and fart around to disconnect the free wheel hubs before I could go anywhere.

It wasn't pleasant, firstly because I thought I had buggered the transfer case, but also it started raining and I was smack in the middle of one of perth's more "unpleasant" suburbs.
FollowupID: 361693

Sponsored Links