Sex and roof racks

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:47
ThreadID: 21552 Views:2613 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Now thta I have your attention;

Out washing my pretty little black Prado truck (PLPT) today and once again cracked a poo poo because the Tradesman’s {TJM) rack is so low to the roof line the middle cannot be washed (mine has mesh).

I say this because anyone contemplating the combination of a Prado and theTJM roof rack will have to come to grips with the fact, at some stage, you will need to remove it if you wish to fully wash the roof. This may also apply to other truck/roof rack combinations coming onto the market (don’t get me wrong, the TJM roof rack is very good) .

Whilst I’m on my washing soap box… Last year we went through very wet conditions in the Kimberley. By the time I returned home, my vehicle was more mud than PLPT. Because of urgent business commitments, it was well over a week before I could wash PLPT.
Two things happened. During that week I experience a violent shudder in the truck above 80km. After some thought, I checked the insides of the wheels and found a huge amount of mud on the off side back wheel. Once this was removed, no further problems.

If you think bull dust is a problem to clean off, its pussy cat stuff compared to dried out red mud. No longer do I have:

• A pristine engine compartment
• Plastic highlights that I once drooled over
• A sparkling alloy bull bar
Driving lights that could detect a tic’s fart at a 1000m

If you experience these conditions, wash the vehicle as soon as possible. Otherwise you will never get it off.

Before I get assailed by all sorts of advice, this post is “tongue in cheek” and more an outlet for my own failings (Willam, don’t you dare respond to this posting).

Hope this helps some people. My old man once said; “Respect machinery son and, be very afraid of women”.

Regards
Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:55

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:55
Look out - Willem will respond - you only ruled out his cousin Willam.
AnswerID: 104032

Reply By: kimprado - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:07

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:07
Your telling me there are two of them?

Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 104034

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 17:48
Out of curiosity have you tried kero or CT16 ?
When I lived in country QLD, i had to replace my clothes every 6 months due to the bore water. The locals rekkoned we were mad to wash the car, it would only get dirty again :)
AnswerID: 104039

Reply By: motherhen - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 18:10

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 18:10
Good one Footloose. When we first moved out here and water was very short, we had a white station wagon (had four rug rats then). To go to a family wedding, we used the fire fighting outfit we were using to cart water from town, and gave it a wash with the fire figthing pump. Exposed all the rust bubbles and popped them. Result 1. Car looked worse due to exposed rust. 2. My Mum couldn't find my car in a car park - didn't know we had a white car. Moral of the story - don't wash cars.
AnswerID: 104040

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:32
i tried it once and all i got was. Theese bars are hurting my back.
ohhh orry i should have read on.
cant help you there.
cheers
AnswerID: 104055

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:01

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 22:01
Hahahahahah If it has wheels or tits there is bound to be trouble
AnswerID: 104063

Reply By: conman - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:17

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:17
hahahaha look at the number of views to this one!
good way to get everyone's atention.
AnswerID: 104088

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:20
When you use a 4WD for what it was designed for you tend to make some sacrifices.....I stopped worrying about scratches and mud stains when I lived in the NT. The Nedland Toyota dealer (Perth) loved my Prado as it was one of the few that wasn't a domestic taxi and actually had dirty under carraige, etc.

Once a year or so I remove the roof rack with the help of some mates and give it a wax. It is a pain in the !@#. I wash the truck with a Gerni so it gets most of the crap off the roof as well as the rest of the truck. Mmmm black paint would be a bit of a problem wouldn't it.....

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 104113

Sponsored Links