Temperature Gauges

Submitted: Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 19:19
ThreadID: 21557 Views:1569 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was in at the local VDO chain store looking for a new water temp guage and sender, and the guy suggested mounting a sender on the head. Has anyone had any experience with mounting this new sender on the head? Does it give a more accurate reading of what the engine is doing inregards to temperature?
Thanks
SantaAus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 00:14

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 00:14
Santa, I have had several temp guages fitted to various forby's and sedans, and I have always gone for the mechanical type sender, and straight into the block.

A temp guage cannot show a reading if there is no water, this is why I always put it in the block.
AnswerID: 104083

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:13

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:13
muzzgit,
You were up late, thanks for the info. To mount the temperature sender did you drill and tap a sender into the water jacket in the block? Or am i going down the wrong path. Because i really dont have any viable places to do so. I am have a hard time getting my head around the mass of different opinons and info on the web regarding this.
Thanks
SantaAus
FollowupID: 361682

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:05

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:05
Santa, I don't know what your vehicle is, but I have fitted one of these mechanical type temp guages into a 200 cortina, 250 cortina, FJ45 cruiser, 2.0 pintara, FJ60 cruiser and HJ60 cruiser ( the HJ60 was not mine, but fitted exactly the same way)

In all of these motors there is a tapped hole in the block under the exhaust manifold towards the rear of the engine, with a bolt-like looking plug in it. The temp guages come with 1 or 2 fittings to suit different threat types/sizes, but I have always had to search repco/marlows etc; to get the right size fitting, I just take the plug out and take it with me to make sure I get the right one. This screws into the block, and then the temp guage sender unit screws into the new fitting.

Make sure you do not crimp or twist the metalic looking sender unit cord, or the temp guage won't work.

Alternatively, most thermostat housings have a little spot made to be drilled out and tapped, but like I said, if you have a sudden loss of coolant, the temp guage will not show a true reading.

With it mounted in the block, when the motor is cold, you can see the mechanical guage showing a completely different reading to the normal in-dash temp guage. You can even see it dip up and down as the thermostat opens and then closes as cold water hits it, untill finally they both settle at "normal" operating temperature.
AnswerID: 104229

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:59
Thanks for the insight, I think i might go down this line. I do have a coolant drain plug in the bottom of the block that i might attempt this on.
Thanks Again
SantaAus
FollowupID: 361730

Sponsored Links