Canon Digital Video Camera

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:20
ThreadID: 21578 Views:1836 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This may be off topic but I bought the camera to use on trips, so maybe not.

I have a 12 month old Canon MV630i that has done about 10 of recording. It was working fine, I recorded some stuff at home, downloaded it to a computer and now have a blank screen and view finder, with the camera recording the blank screen.
A friend also has an MV630 and they have exactly the same problem under exactly the same circumstances, 10 hours recording, downloaded to a computer and now a blank screen.

Canon have had a look at mine and say the CDD assembly needs replacing for $400. It was 10 days out of warranty and Canon are looking into it.

Has anybody else had a similar problem - or - does anybody else have an MV630 that hasn't had any problems. Would live to hear both sides?

Thanks Heaps

PatC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tbreak - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:23
Hey Pat, I was amazed to read about your Canon MV630i, I have exactly the same camera just out of warranty recording for just under 9 hours! The problem is exactly as you have described, recording blank screen. The camera was sent to Canon for repairs via a middle man camera shop, Canon have quoted $377 for the repairs with middle man costs of $152 on top of that, I left a $100 deposit to get a quote but I did not expect it to come back as high as it did, I felt sucked in to go ahead with the repairs as I would loose the deposit. I tried to speak with a technician from Canon to find out what may have caused the CDD assembly to fail so soon with so little use and just out of warranty, Canon customer service personnel were quite rude to me stating that their technicians do not speak to customers, I pressured them for a reply, they replied that the technician did not know what caused the failure except to suggest it was caused by impact, this I know is nonsense as I have never dropped or bumped my camera. I have come to the conclusion that the camera is built with a fail mechanism after warranty. Tash 29/3/05
AnswerID: 104218

Follow Up By: Member - PatC - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:07

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:07
Hi Tbreak
Thanks for that. I've now found 5 other people with exactly the same problem. Canon aren't talking yet but I think they've got some explaining to do. The serviceman I spoke to yesterday (before I started looking) was very evasive when I asked him if this was a common fault. Now I know why.

If you want to know how it works out you can e-mail me at Pat_Cronin at bigpond dot com.

See Ya
PatC
FollowupID: 361763

Sponsored Links