Corryong - Easter

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:20
ThreadID: 21579 Views:2169 Replies:6 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
We had a wonderful Easter spent at Corryong with Glenn & James, Jimbo and Jenny and Adam [aka Crazie] and Kir. We had some fantastic drives with Saturday's being the most perfect day, the views from Mt. Pinnabar were sensational and the drive up to the summit and back down through Tom Groggin and crossing the Murray River was brilliant - fantastic scenery and great weather.

It was fantastic to be a part of such a great trip, and to spend quality time with lovely people. Glenn your tour planning and organising was superb as was the boned leg of lamb we all had for dinner on Saturday night.

Adam, Kir and Jenny it was great to meet you. We can't wait til the next one, and we wonder if Jimbo will pack his sandwich maker for the next trip.

cheers

Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:52

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:52
It is a fantastic part of our great country.
Glad you had a great time and trust you all made it home safely.
AnswerID: 104119

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:54

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:54
Good to see that you had a great time Al :)

It IS a great part of our country, and even though we have a property down in that part of the world, we still don't run out of tracks to do and places to see every time we go down. Outdoor paradise.....
AnswerID: 104120

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:08

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:08
I wonder if we passed you Lyn somewhere on Saturday, we were up in that area for 4 days over Easter. Eight 4wd's so I think you would have noticed us, actually your pic looks very similar to one of ours, minus you and the kids, lol. Same mountain range in the back ground and evrything else. Was it up the top where the MT Pinnebar sign post was?
Then we drove down through all the Wonnangatta's and the river crossings. How bloody cold was it up there??????????????????????? LOL
Karen
AnswerID: 104121

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:16

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:16
hi Karen

yes it was Mt. Pinnebar, we were there about 2ish on Saturday, as we got there a party of 4wds were leaving, I don't know how many there were in the group. Yes it was bloody cold up there, but it was worth the chill to enjoy the view.

Lyn
FollowupID: 361615

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:32

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:32
This is the second time i have written this, so hopefully this works...

BTW.. What happend to Glenn's post????

I want to thank all involved for the invite and the warm welcome we got. Have to thanks Bonz for the reference check and the other couples for taking a gamble and inviting some one called Crazie?? hahaha

We had a ball to say the least, even thought it started a little late and leaving melbourne at mid night thursday night, about the time we were due to check in at wodonga. We arrived Friday and set up and checked out the local site, which included much about the Man from Snowy river. Friday arvo was about intro's, drink and much much laughter. Saturday we set off on what could only be descride as an awesome 4wd adventure in oz, we travelled through the mountains, over mt pinnabar, wow what a site and we crossed the border several times without a bridge, great river crossing through the murray. It was great to share this experience with like minded people. We went though some tracks where no one had been for some time and it felt like we were early explorers, and luckily early explorer Jimbo packed a chainsaw. There were a few trees in the way, kms of climbing and kms of tracks straight down, which allowed for some great fun. Sunday morn was alittle hazy, as i recall and we all took our time to saddle up and do some more drives, after a lunch at the only pub in the world where a steak sanga comes without the top slice of bread???

A huge thanks to Glenn for the tour guide and arranging such a great trip, To the Al's, thanks for allowing us to detour back to your house as the traffic jam was aweful, To Jimbo and Jen for the great company and many laughs

Count us in anytime

Kir and Crazie
AnswerID: 104123

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:41

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:41
Hiya Crazie

glad you and Kir got home safely, you're welcome to detour to Romsey anytime you like. It was great to meet you both and we look forward to more 4wd adventure in oz as well. Sunday morning I recall was hazy but EARLY due to a visit from a certain rodent during the night [BTW thanks so much for the easter eggs and the hunt the kids loved it] and thanks also for stopping the Jack and jumping out and grabbing some yellow flowers [weeds...ahhahaha] for Tegan - she loved it, and she loved the ride in the Jack too.

til the next time

Lyn
FollowupID: 361617

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:24

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:24
Am glad you two got over that big 30 party Adam and sorry we couldn't get to join up with the crew for what was apparently a great weekend....
FollowupID: 361625

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:29

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:29
Hello Adam,

I will have to be careful to word this so the entire post doesn't get deleted...lol

It was a pleasure to meet both Kir and yourself, Bonz's reference was 100% correct. It was a great weekend and the drive home was enjoyable in the end, thanks Lyn for allowing us to detour. The weather in Corryong was perfect, as were the hosts at the Mt. Mittamatite CP. The tracks travelled were great and the views from My. Pinnibar across to the Snowies was picture perfect. I would like to thank those that participated in the trip Nights spent around the campfire were certainly humerous and the topics of conversation were certainly varied. I am sure Jimbo may cop a bit of crap from this post, but I have to thank him for providing a chain saw, and Al for having his emergency cuttiing tools as they were used on many occasions on the rarely travelled tracks.

I will put a link to the trip notes on the 4wdrec site, as it wont be moderated there.

Thanks again and we will catch up soon.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 361627

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:32

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:32
BUGGER :-(
FollowupID: 361628

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:44

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:44
Hi Adam
Little misnomer in the comment crossing "The Murray" at "Tom Groggin", the river you crossed is actually the "Indi" and does not become "The Murray" until further down stream where the "Swampy Plains Creek" I believe joins in, not a well known fact.

Great place anyway, good to see you had a great time.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 104144

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:01

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:01
We crossed it at Wodonga mate, just to test the snorkel....lol
FollowupID: 361654

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:30

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:30
Well John, if you look at the Raster maps on CD, you will find they call it the Murray River even further upstream than Tom Groggin. When searching for the Indi using the name search, it doesnt come up with anything in Victoria or NSW. Not sure who is right or wrong, but as far as I am concerned, I will take what the map says as right for now.

Cheers
FollowupID: 361736

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 18:45

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 18:45
Hi Glenn
I to was calling it the Murray based on the same info you have until recently a number of things happened to point out that the majority of maps are actually listing the river under the wrong name.
The name Indi is actually the aboriginal name for whats now being called by some as The Upper Murray.

The first was an employee of mine who was a resident of Khancoben for many many years and when I spoke about Tom Groggin he said straight away that it was not the Murray, that the locals still call it by it's proper name the "Indi" and that the Murray does not start officially until the bridge on the Corryong - Khancoben Rd.
In fact if you look in this area you will still see the Indi Road runs along the river.

The second thing was a group of surveyors from Vic Lands Dept, Melbourne Uni, Parks Victoria and associated others interested people recently relocated and completed the survey of the spring that marks the begining of the river. It is also marks the west end of the Black - Allan line which is the straight bit of the Victorian border.
This line had not been properly re surveyed since Black & Allan did the work ex number of hundred years ago apparently so it was in need of re survey.
They located and marked the spring with a cairn and a rock line in accordance with proper survey practice.
The second part of the survey is to properly name the spring and the most likely name being suggested is the "Indi Spring" named for the river it supplies. It is expected that this name will be ratified by Survey Vic shortly.

The third point is the wilderness area near the Buckwong camp area south of Tom Groggin called the Indi Wilderness area, named after the river it borders.
I was up there a couple of weeks ago and one guy in our group who was using Ozi Explorer had the map with the name "Indi" marked.
The river is marked on some maps correctly but as time has passed then it obviously seems easier to place only one name on the map and so the Murray has taken precident.

Probably a little sad in some respects that a little part of local history seems to be slowly lost by current practice maybe if the spring is confirmed as the Indi Spring in name then it will prompt some proper name applications elsewhere.
An article on this spring was in the Melb Age last November I think, good story about the whole survey issue.

A couple of other small points is the Murray distance swim always starts at the above mentioned bridge as the official start of the Murray river.
And if you do a web search on say Alta Vista for the name "Indi" you will find numerous items references to the Indi River, especially for canoe and kayak web sites.

Just an interesting little point of history I think and one that is not well known by most of us, if it is called The Murray for ever and a day well so be it I won't lose any sleep over it, but it is still a misnomer.

Cheers

John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 361760

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:02

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:02
Hi John,

Thanks very much for the info, I enjoyed reading it and learning something new, in fact I will print it off so that I can have it as a permanent reminder of some great Aussie History. It just proves that you can't believe everything that you see on maps, as I found out over the weekend anyway as my paper map was outdated and a track no longer existed..lol.

Thanks again

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 361761

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:13

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:13
Glenn a lot of track changes going on in the High Country at the moment due to re aligning and upgrades of the existing tracks and when they are in such poor condition they are abandoning the old and making a new one.

I have found the same as you, tracks on the paper are not as depicted and it is more obvious when you are using a moving map display and suddenly find you are traveling across the country side on the screen with no road marked. LOL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 361764

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:18

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 19:18
lol John...that is what happened to me on Saturday...hahahahaha
FollowupID: 361765

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 21:03
Cheers John, thanks for the history lesson, love the area..
FollowupID: 361779

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:29

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:29
I there any truth to the rumor that some member of your party had to change jocks on a certain hill desent ??????? ;-)
AnswerID: 104208

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:31

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:31
well not in our car....so I don't know....
FollowupID: 361669

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:37

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:37
Rumor has it that it wasnt , your car , wasnt Glenns car & wasnt Adams car lol , hmmmm , now who would that leave ?
FollowupID: 361670

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 21:02
that rumour dude...hahhahhhaha....
FollowupID: 361677

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:31

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 13:31
Well Eric, it was a fully sick descent...hahahahahahahahha
FollowupID: 361737

Sponsored Links