sat tv

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:39
ThreadID: 21581 Views:2627 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone help me with step by step instructions to find the right way to connect to the tv satellite. I am in Meekatharra WA and the dish is already installed. I had to buy a bigger one for here cost $270 and the bloke who sold it wants another $150 to install it. Like already stated it is installed and he knows it.
All I need is the steps to take to receive a signal. I have the dish pointing at 156 degs E. I have a Topfield decoder. I can get the menu from the decoder on the TV. I wouldn't mind some info on that process as well. reading the manual doesnt help a lot. (Maybe it's just me) I am told to go to LNB setting menu under the channel search item of the installation menu press ok - then enter pin Code. There is nowhere to enter this. I have heard that I need to make a phone call to get this card running???. I know that there is power from the LNB as it shows 82% on the level graph but nothing on the control graph. I have had a friend on the roof turning the dish but to no avail. Nothing happens.
Regards
Dennis (Splinter)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: locallaw - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:35

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:35
Gidday,Have a look at this addy it may give you a good idea how to set up a sat dish.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 104140

Reply By: locallaw - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:37

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:37
Whoops I forgot the main part.www.ehow.com/list_1015.html
There is a lot of info in there about everything.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 104142

Reply By: Cobradave - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 17:33
Hey Dennis,
I'm an old hand at this stuff, so I'll gladly help you. The signal strength is immaterial . You will always get 80% or more regardless where the dish is pointed. What you need is signal quality of at least 50% to get a picture. That depends on your decoder box being set up with correct parameters for the satellite C1 in this case and the matching the LNB LO (local oscilation).
Your LNB will either be a LO of 10500 or 11300. You have to select that somewhere in your decoder parameters. Then go to a screen something like Transponder Scan or Search and enter a frequency of 12407, Vertical, 30000, 3/4 and Network Search enabled. Now you have the decdoder set up correctly for the Aurora channels from the C1 satellite.
Now go to the dish and using your compass point the dish 59 degrees east of magnetic North . Then tilt the dish up to 38 degrees from the horizontal. Those are the coordinates for Meekatharra, WA. Once you have quality bars on the display, move the dish a little till you get the strongest signal and tighten the nuts, then twist the LNB to peak the signal even more. Now go to the decoder box and run the scan. The programs should come down and be loaded into your decoder box.
You are wasting your time using an Aurora card which you have register and reregister every 6 months. They won't give you channels from the eastern states, what bullbleep. Give me a call and I'll help you out further. 0429236160
Dave
AnswerID: 104175

Reply By: Splinters Takeaways - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:24

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 18:24
Thanks Dave. Have set the decoder as close to your suggestions as are available on the menu. My card is an Irdeto and I have access to another one as well. Will wait for a mate to come around in the morning as I am an amputee and have a little trouble negotiating steep roofs with slipper surfaces.
Cheers mate
Splinter (Dennis)
AnswerID: 104187

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:17

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 20:17
Dennis, so pleased that you have found an expert. I was sitting here thinking that you probably REALLY needed your sat TV in Meeka.
Mind you the locals are so very friendly, especially the emus who will even cross the road to say gooday.
AnswerID: 104206

Follow Up By: Splinters Takeaways - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:33
you sound like you've been here before footloose. Do you wish to expand on your knowledge
Cheers
Splinter (Dennis)
FollowupID: 361695

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:57

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 22:57
Don't know anything about the place but it sounds nice. Before I travel to try your burgers Dennis, do you grill the cheese before slapping it in ?
Good luck with the tele.
FollowupID: 361697

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:13

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:13
Splinters, I passed that way a couple of years ago, through from the Great Central . Speaking of passing, I had a burger in Wiluna. Enough said.
I'm sure Meeka is a great place, all I can remember is that it didnt seem too big, and it had a servo:) Oh and the blasted emu running across just out of town.
FollowupID: 361709

Reply By: Cobradave - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:02

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:02
Dennis,
Enter the LO for your LNB is 10.7 or 10700, that should be right from what you told me. Let me know if you need more assistance.
Dave
AnswerID: 104266

Reply By: early2 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:42

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 23:42
I know how u feel,

Transfered up to Derby and I took the dish down myself and moved it up here with us, to get it tuned in cost a whopping $280 and the "tradesperson" did the roughest job.

As an EX-meeka dweller I reckon your on a good price with your local supplier, budgie will always give you support and he lives in your town. (if your refering to him that is)
AnswerID: 104400

Reply By: John from JLG Communications - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:28

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:28
Hi Dennis

I'd be more than happy to email you our TravelSat instructions. They are written for an Emtech decoder, but they include useful tips that apply to most decoders as well as an elevation chart for the correct angle to the Optus C1 satellite in Australia. Also has card activation numbers to call. Let me know.

John Gemmell
Satplus
enquiries@satplus.com.au
AnswerID: 107753

Follow Up By: Splinters Takeaways - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:13

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:13
John G and all the others who replied to my query re the satelite dish. Happy to report I am up and away. Thanks for the invaluable info Dave, vital to get a balance and level dish tune in. I did a check on the levelling job my mate did and all I can say is don't get him to level your pool table. Once I did the job myself from the ladder using rope and sheer strength, put the info into thr box, Bingo, up and away. Again thank you all for your help and if you are ever passing through Meekatharra my shop is opposite the Royal Mail Hotel (great people and really cold beer)please drop in and if you mention this site you may get a nice surprise.
Cheers
Splinter (Dennis)
FollowupID: 364645

Sponsored Links