4runner Engine Conversion

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:58
ThreadID: 21583 Views:10681 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

My car the 1995 RV6 4runner has been a trooper in the last year and a hlaf that I've ownd it but have just got some bad news about my engine. The 3ltr 3vze V6 has lost just about all compression. It's down to 30psi and should be up around 160psi. So it's time to start thinking seriously about a transplant. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about a good engine conversion to do... ????? has anyone had any experience doing these? I'm in Melb and would really like to get it done by someone with a lot of experience in this model car.

Also I would like some advice on if it would be better to convert to a diesel like a 4cyl turbo or something for better fuel economy?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a Uni student with not too much money so it'll be a trip to the bank for a personal loan to finance this. However, I want the job done right so it'll last me a long time.

Thanks in advance,
Longy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kerry (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:43

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 13:43
G'day there sorry to here the motor is dieing, marks 4wd adaptors do a commodore six conversion although i havent done it, i assume they know what there doing, all depends on how deep your pockets are, other things to maybe remember are, engineers cert, emission laws insurance etc, im sure some other guys on here will give you some info...

www.marks4wd.com

cheers
AnswerID: 104128

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 19:58
The best conversion I have EVER seen is a Toyota Soarer/Lexus motor 4L quad Cam V8!! A few have been done and if you go to http://lextreme.com/forum/index.php and have a squiz you will see a few Surf/4Runners converted.
The best one I saw was done in Brisbane (?) through a mob called Widowmaker Race Engines and Venom Racing, look here http://www.boosted4runner.com/ !!
Other website for info, or worth a look
http://www.alsc.aus.as/
www.outerlimits4x4.com

Goodluck

Matt.
AnswerID: 104205

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:36

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:36
Why change if you have liked it so much. I am going through a conversion at the moment... but my advice is, that if you were happy with the existing set up go with that, so that minimum problems are going to show up... has to be the cheapest option?
AnswerID: 104253

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:43

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:43
Hi Longy,

I have done a few engine conversions in 4wd's.

SWB Nissan Patrol - 350 Chev
2x60 Series Landcruiser's - 351 Cleveland's
91 Model Dual cab Hilux - 3.8litre V6 Commodore engine
86 Hilux - 3.5 litre V8 Range Rover engine

There have been some good points and some bad points about each conversion but generally speaking you will change your vehicle from a low maintenance vehicle to a relatively high maintenance vehicle. There always seems to be some small thing to be working on. All of my conversions were completed with kits supplied from experts like Mark's Adaptors which is probably who you should speak with regarding a professional who could complete your work if you decide to go that way.

You must also be prepared for a significant drop in value in your vehicle and difficulty in obtaining insurance with some companies. It will certainly cost more to insure.

Out of the above conversions, the one I would do again though is the Range Rover V8 engine into the Hilux. It is a brilliant engine with good economy, light in weight (alloy), they also usually give about 500,000 trouble free km's before rebuilds, and best of all they sound great.

As one of the writers above has stated, the most economical thing for you to do is to rebuild your existing engine. If you have been happy with it, why change it? You have pretty much also answered your own question because any decent engine conversion is going to cost you at least $8000 and for that price you will still only have a 2nd hand engine from a wreckers, which you may end up having to rebuild anyway. There is always the unexpected costs like modifying cooling systems, suspension, adapting power steering, alternators, air conditioners etc... These things add up significantly. Remember the old rule, any money you spend on the engine of a vehicle is lost as you will usually sell a car with a rebuilt engine for the same amount as with an old unknown engine.

Good luck with your decision!

Brett
75 Series TD Landcruiser
AnswerID: 104262

Sponsored Links